Author Topic: Can someone please tell me  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Can someone please tell me
« on: February 10, 2006, 10:01:12 pm »
How tall a 3 month old puppy would be?  I saw a mixer at the pound today and they said he was 3 months (I'm not sure they were right and I don't know what breed they were claiming him to be but they are almost never right) and a GD is the only dog I could think of that would be THAT big when he was a puppy.  I can't remember much about his face because we had to leave fast (another dog was being mean to my son) but I know I've seen his coloring in some GDs.  Hopefully I'll get a better look at him when I go back tomorrow.  Thank you for reading and for any help you can give.

Kelly
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone please tell me
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 10:09:15 pm »
A 3 month old Great Dane pup is 17 to 22 inches according to the website all-about-great-danes.com.
 ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 10:14:20 pm »
Well, at 3 mo old, Gunther was approx 1/2 the size of our other dog, so that would put him at around 16"-18" tall (taking a wild guess here after measuing Keiko). 

I do know he weighed in at 40.3 lbs b/c he had a vet appt a few days after we got him, so that might give you a better idea.

But yeah, I'd love to see some pics if you could get them.   :)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 10:21:32 pm »

This was Tonka at about 3 months old.  He was about 47 lbs (he had just been to the overnight...yo u can see where his leg was shaved for the IV)and I am not sure about height measurements at that time.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 10:25:34 pm »
oops! I managed to delete my reply so I guess I'll try again.  lol  I can't swear to it since I could stay long but he seemed to be closer to 24-26in.  That's one reason I was wondering if they were right about his age.  His color was black and white with some black spots in the white area.  I could be seeing dane where there is none because I would LOVE to have one but even it he's not I'm still tlking to hubby about getting him (or the oversized "black lab" with HUGE feet) tomorrow.  ;D  He was such a calm sweetie which you wouldn't expect for a dog his size.  He was a little hairy for a dane but not enough that I would call him long haired.  More like a fluffy version of a short haired dog.  lol

Kelly (hopefully I won't delete my reply again  lol)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 10:31:47 pm »
oops! I managed to delete my reply so I guess I'll try again.  lol  I can't swear to it since I could stay long but he seemed to be closer to 24-26in.  That's one reason I was wondering if they were right about his age.  His color was black and white with some black spots in the white area.  I could be seeing dane where there is none because I would LOVE to have one but even it he's not I'm still tlking to hubby about getting him (or the oversized "black lab" with HUGE feet) tomorrow.  ;D  He was such a calm sweetie which you wouldn't expect for a dog his size.  He was a little hairy for a dane but not enough that I would call him long haired.  More like a fluffy version of a short haired dog.  lol

Kelly (hopefully I won't delete my reply again  lol)
I wonder if it was an Irish Wolfhound mix? They are SO tall as puppies! I saw an IW pup at petsmart one time, and from across the store I thought it was an adult great dane. Granted, my vision isn't the best, but when I walked up and realized it was just a puppy, and soooo tall... whoa. I was impressed!!!

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 10:40:06 pm »
I hadn't thought of that. I'll forget to tell my hubby that option.  He'll start thinking it's going to be a hairy dog (which he doesn't like) and tell me no.  lol  If it was going to be long-haired, it already would be, why worry him about it right?   ;D  Either way he was a sweetie.  Speaking of sweeties, I wish I lived close enough to take this one home.  Isn't that the cutest face?!

http://home.earthlink.net/~greatdanes/gdali/AD_Malaki.html

Unfortunately the only GD up for adoption in my area needs to be in an adult only home. :(

Kelly (sorry, I'm in a rambling mood tonight apparently  :-[)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 10:57:35 pm »
BTW, I was joking about fooling my hubby about the dog. ;)  It wouldn't be fair to either of them to not be honest.