Author Topic: "Anorexic" Geman Sheperd  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Kori

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
"Anorexic" Geman Sheperd
« on: February 11, 2006, 11:12:24 am »
I'm not very good in english so forgive my mistakes.. I urgently need some help! Here's the thing... I found a young female german sheperd (cca. 1,5 year old). She has obviously been lost for a while because she is soooo skiny! I never had a dog so I don't know if there is something i could feed her so she could gain up some weight and in what amounts? When you say "a cup" I suppose we are talking about a standard tea cup or..?  ??? She looks as of skin and bone (that's why I said anorexic, only as a metafore  :-\) and a total opposite of what any german sheperd I've seen looks like. She is about 60cm (cca 24inches) in hight (her back, not her head) and she has 24kg (cca. 52 pounds).
Please help me with some advice.
Thank you
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 09:45:38 pm by Kori »
I'm not fat! I'm a woman and a half.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: "Anorexic" Geman Sheperd
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 12:04:35 pm »
Hi Kori. Welcome to BPO!

I reccomend you feed her a good quality dog food - the suggested feeding amounts should be on the back of th bag (and they will be in whatever measuring standard is common in your country - where are you from by the way?). I also reccommend you give her something called satin balls as a supplement to help her gain weight. You can find the recipe here: http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm
RIP former BPO

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 12:11:31 pm »
Also split her meals into about 4 or 5 small meals through the day for now. If she's been starved, her stomach will have shrunk and will not be able to cope with a large amount of food in one go.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 12:36:53 pm »
I agree on the several smaller feedings instead of one or two larger feedings.  Also, she may have tapeworms or some other parasite that would keep her from gaining much weight or having a very good appetite.  I think I would take a stool sample to my vet and have that checked right away.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 06:27:40 pm »
When you use the recommendation s  on the bag of dog food, remember that is the total for the day.  For example, if the bag recommends 2 cups of food and you feed 4 times per day then you will feed 1/2 cup per feeding. [I knew a newbie once that fed 2 cups at every feeding. Whoops :)]

I agree that finding someone who is part of a rescue or shelter would be of great benefit to you. They are experienced with under-nourished dogs and will give you hands-on advise.

Congratulation s  and good luck!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 10:05:08 pm by paharts »
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Offline Kori

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 09:41:48 pm »
Let me first answer the "where are you from" question. Croatia. Here in Zagreb we only have one shelter and it's crowded and very much lacking the money itself so I won't even try suggesting some funding to them. It's not a problem, I'm a student but she'll get a part in my paycheck :-) I took her to the vet and she got the pills for "worms"? And an anti-fleas spray or something and is officially mine. I could not believe they injected her with a chip!!!?!?!?! Seems it's time for me to start learning these things. She's so cute!!! Well, thank you all for the advice, you'll probably be hearing from me often, I'll let you know how's the weight-gaining going. Thanks again!

By the way, I've put her picture! Hope you like it.

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 09:57:05 pm »
Oh wow - she is beautiful!
I am glad you were able to take her to a vet. I know it can be tough trying to afford an unexpected mouth to care for but boy is it worth it :)

I am curious - what did the vet say about her weight? what did s/he suggest to help her gain?

I tip my hat to you for taking her into your heart and home :)
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

chaosndestruction

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 10:51:29 pm »
awww she's soo pretty!!!!

Let us know how the weight gaining thing is coming along and make sure to post pics...we all like to see pics here:)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 01:34:43 am »
Bless you BLESS YOU for taking her in!!...So long as she's been dewormed & there are no underlying health problems just give her a chance to eat well & gain soem weight...My rescue girl was skin & bones when we got her on Dec. 1...She is finally filling out nicely...Just give it time & welcome to BPO!

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 04:26:39 pm »
Kori -- congratulation s on your new best friend.  Have you given her a name yet?

You will be able to learn a lot in this place -- I, too, recently adopted a homeless dog named Einstein, who has cost me every cent (and my landlord was very patient waiting on the February check) but he's been well worth it! 
Sarah

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 04:47:23 pm »
Welcome to BPO....she is beautiful. 

I'm Erin and I have a newfoundland and an austalian shepard. I'm sure you'll catch up fast on dog information and remember that no question is a stupid question here so feel free to ask us anything you don't know.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Kori

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 05:38:44 am »
Hi! I came to bring the news - it's working!!! Thank you thank you thank you for that satin balls recipe, she is growing like a baloon and I'm giving her very very small amounts of it. Soon I will take her picture so you can witness the now and then fazes :-) About the name someone asked, I named her Namo. It's a name from Tolkien's books, Namo is the keeper of destiny. Tacky, I know, but I can't help it.
By the way, I saw that some paw prints have a list of their playmates and I was wondering can I also put a playmate on Namo's paw print? You see, Namo has a playmate Pugy, maybe you've seen his paw print.
Once again thanks and we'll be "hearing" soon!

Offline Kori

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 01:44:03 pm »
Hi again... I was buying the ingredients for those satin balls you recomended me and I couldn't find unsulfured molasses. But the kind lady in the bio&bio store :-) suggested me to buy the "nonrefined sugar from sugar cane" which allegedly contains more than enough unsulfured molasses. BUT it also contains carbohydrates, iron, copper, crome, Ni and some other stuff so I just wanted to check if this is wise to put into the mixture for satin balls instead of the unsulfured molasses you suggested.

Thanks!

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 11:00:47 pm »
How's your (big) little girl doing?
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Kori

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 11:52:11 am »
She's doing fine!
By the way, a friend of mine, selfproclaimed genius for dogs told me just yesterday that I shouldn't feed her kibble and satin balls at the same time because she digestes them differently so she might get...well...i don't remember, something bad could happen to her anyway. But she has been doing just fine for two weeks, I'm giving her three meals, kibble and a little satin balls and she's getting pounds slowly but nicely... a few more weeks of this and she'll be in great shape! Then I'll post you a picture.