Author Topic: In Heat  (Read 6166 times)

Offline dottie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
In Heat
« on: February 11, 2006, 07:39:48 pm »
Hi Im new to posting.
We have a mastiff she is going to be 11 months very soon. My question is what age does this breed go into season? We have been anticipating it for a month or so. Does the size of the breed make it more difficult than medium size dogs?
Thanks!

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: In Heat
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 11:02:49 pm »

Larger breed bitches tend to mature later physically, and so therefore come into season later.

It can be as late as 18 months in some bitches.

Your breeder should be able to give you the best advice about when your bitch may be due to be in, as this is hereditary.

If you do not plan to show her, spaying her as early as possible is best for her health and long term wellbeing.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 12:54:49 am »
My Great Dane Sadie was about nine months old when she had her first heat. I would expect yours to go in heat this spring. Mine didnt have any trouble with her heats although I found she produced alot more blood than my collie mix when she would go in heat, so you might want to look around for some doggy diapers for her in advance! :o
I know that Sadie would leave a big mess if she was lying down or if she got excited and wiggled ,it would kind of fly everywere. Hopefully for your sake she will keep herself clean, Sadie wasnt very clean about it, but my collie was very clean. You could hardly tell when she was in heat. It was quite obvious when Sadie was in heat though! I hope this gives you an idea of what to expect at least. Good luck and welcome to BPO. We would love to see some pics of your girl if you have some. We all love pictures.
cuttles

Offline dottie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 04:16:09 pm »
Thank you, for your response. Since I posted my girl started her heat cycle. Just the day after, who'd thought!

Thanks again.