Author Topic: Ear Infection  (Read 2372 times)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Ear Infection
« on: February 15, 2006, 12:50:17 pm »
Einstein's ear infection has gotten worse!  We started out with antibiotics and drops -- the antibiotics made him sick and he lost 4 pounds because he wouldn't eat.  Then we went with just drops 2x a day (which is really a challenge because Einstein's ears are so sensitive he won't let you near them -- even with treats).  After almost a month of trying to fight the infection, the vet put antibiotic packing in both ears yesterday (it took two people to hold him while she did this).  She thinks it might just take two weeks of this to clear it up. 

I've applied to the Shelter insurance for at least a partial reimbursement, since he came to me with the ear infection -- I was prepared to spend $500 over the next couple of months, not in the first 3-4 weeks.  I realize big dogs are naturally going to be more expensive, but I'm wondering how I'm going to afford getting him past this first episode! 

Poor Einstein.  I could tell last night he was really worn out with all the effort of treating his ears yesterday. I hope this latest treatment works and we can start fresh -- keeping his ears clean, his skin/coat healthier and his diet improved (we switched to EVO).  Learning about his care and grooming is challenging, but nothing I'm going to shy away from.

I just can't believe how much I already love this guy.  I hope I am able (financially) to provide a good home for him.  I'm planning on having a garage sale in a couple of weeks -- because I need to get rid of junk around my house and because I need the cash.

I just wanted to vent a little bit.  I know many of you have spent lots more than this on your babies, and probably don't have any more money than I do.  I'm especially sympathetic with Kori(?) from Croatia who recently took in a stray German Shepherd.  She's living on a student's pay and still has so much room in her heart she's willing to share it with a homeless dog.

Einstein gives me so much that money can't buy -- he's the best friend I've been wishing I had for a long time. 

Thanks for letting me get this out. 
Sarah

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Ear Infection
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 01:38:16 pm »
He is one lucky boy to have found you.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 01:52:23 pm »
I have found that we get the dogs we deserve.  Cowboy was a rescue and has also had serious health issues which, after a year and a half, I think,(hope, pray, fingers crossed, touch wood, etc.!) have finally resolved.  In return, Cowboy is my best bud.  He never leaves me.  If I have to leave him for any reason, he's there at the door when I get home (or bathroom door if I shut him out ::)

Einstein knows how hard you are trying.  He wants to be there for you, NO doubt!  Just hang in there and vent all you want here!  It's so hard to maintain priorities when you are faced with such health issues.  Maybe you could talk to the vet and work out a deal.  My vet only charges me for drugs and actual procedures and/or lab fees.  No follow up charges, not for in-between crisis check-ups.

Einstein is a gorgeous pup....and you deserve him!  Good luck and keep us all informed!!  :)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 02:01:18 pm »
My vet only charges me for drugs and actual procedures and/or lab fees.  No follow up charges, not for in-between crisis check-ups.

Einstein is a gorgeous pup....and you deserve him!  Good luck and keep us all informed!!  :)

Thanks both of you!  My vet -- without saying anything -- does not charge me for the exams (or the extra people it takes her to look at his ears).  I think she read in my eyes that first "complimentary" visit that cost almost $250, that I was not prepared to shell out $75 -- $200 every visit!  And they only charge me $20 to bathe him (which is also a medical necessity because of his yeasty-skin).

Since I have to take him in again next Wednesday, I'm going to ask ahead of time if I can put off paying for that visit until after my next payday. 

I just don't understand why the shelter vets didn't catch it -- for four months they treated him for heartworms, and they even noted on his file that he received "ear treatment" -- oh well.  Maybe it had only developed the last month or so he was in foster.

you guys are great
Sarah