Author Topic: Light food?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
  • Skuy & Ivy - the first meeting!
    • View Profile
Light food?
« on: February 16, 2006, 12:56:02 pm »
Just a quick question. . . .

Skuy is a very tall boy! I'm sure you all familiar with that - you've got Danes. Anyhow, he weighs in at 153 pounds. One of the last times he was at the vet the Dr. said we might want to switch him to a light food. You can feel a thin layer of fat on his ribs, but it's not a lot. He's by no means overweight. He has gained some weight lately.

Will light food really make a difference for him? Is Science Diet a good choice?

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Light food?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 01:51:18 pm »
Thanks for the info. I've been trying to figure out what the best food would be for him. I am a little hesitant to use a light food. I've been reading everything I can about food for Danes and I'm aware of the proper protein and fat levels, I know to try to stay away from grains especially if they're listed in the top few ingredients. I suppose I need to find a feed store in Atlanta!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 01:55:47 pm »
I feed Science Diet large breed.  A few weeks ago when I went to buy food (yes, I waited until there was none left) they only had Light. I thought they are both getting round this winter, I will try it.  Well only being on the food 2.5 weeks, Maia started to look thin, Rocco of course was just as round as usual.  So, yesterday, I found another store and got just regular food. 

Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline jessicanparker

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:00:04 pm »
Thanks for the info! I've decided not to go with the light food. As I said before, Skuy is a big dude and I really don't think he's roly-poly. He's not even fat. I bought a bag of our normal food today but I'll continue to research the super premium brands. Hopefully I can find a store close by that carries them. I live in the 'hood in Atlanta and I have never seen any feed stores near here. I'll keep looking!

Jessica