Author Topic: Cost of hearworm prevention  (Read 7180 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Cost of hearworm prevention
« on: May 31, 2005, 11:15:00 pm »
I stopped by the vet today and made an appointment to get Earnest caught up, his rabies is due, and he needs to start back on heartgard before we have mosquitos (thank heaven only a few months out of the year, here).
When I asked about the price, they told me $39.95 a month, because he's 135lbs, so he needs a 100lb pill and a 35lb pill.  My other dog is 150lbs. That's $80 a month!!
Then I went to Dr. Foster's and Smith website and looked at prices- I can do BOTH dogs for $17.00 a month!
Anybody order their meds online? Any problems? Who's the most reputable?
I'm going to ask the vet for a prescription when we go.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of hearworm prevention
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:43:23 pm »
I know, the cost for the hearworm prevention alone is horrible. Then we have to add all the vaccinations, tests and yearly exams, flea preventions and vitamins and supplements. It adds up. I have bought hearworm prev. from Dr Foster and Smith and also from a place called KV vet supply. I also used these two along with several others when I had a grooming shop and I never had any problems with them. My vet actually does give me prescriptions for hearworm prev. so I can get it wherever I want, but I know a lot of vets who will not do it, they say it is not reliable and you dont know what you get. Well they pretty much have to say that, if we buy our meds somewhere else they loose out on a huge profit maker.

I can truly recomend both Dr Foster and KV vet

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 11:56:48 pm »
Do you know anything about the holistic treatments, i.e. black walnut?
I also know people here in Colorado, where the mosquito problem is not too bad, who just have their dogs tested every six months, and forgo the preventative.
I'm not only concerned about cost, I'm concerned about the health effects.

Offline Jeanne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 12:03:19 am »
My Greyhound needs Deramaxx and my Komondor needs Rimadyl. The Deramaxx used to be affordable in the 100mg tablets, but they've stopped making them. My vet recommended I try to find the meds online because it would, for sure, be cheaper. I've ordered through 1800PetMeds. I'm awaiting my first shipment, but the cost of the Rimadyl was almost half, and the Deramaxx was at least .25 less per pill, which is huge, since the 25mg pills (all they're manufacturing now) cost much more than the 100mg pills did, dose per dose. I haven't received my first shipment yet, so can't say how well all that's working, but the website itself was very easy to use. I'll keep you posted, but it may be worth checking out in the meantime.
Jeanne
aka "Mommy Dog" to Goulash (Komondor) and Harley Quinn (Dalmatian)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:15:57 am »
No I do not know a whole lot about holistic treatment of hearworm prev. I am rather new to the whole idea. Hearworm I mean, in Sweden we dont have heartworm, so we dont have to give preventatives either. I had to read up on it when I moved here though. There is a slight risk with giving the prev. meds. But well, the idea of only testing is okay I guess, as long as you have luck enough to not get it. You can do certain things to help, such as spraying for mosquitos, not having standing water anywhere near where you live to make the mosq. population as small as you can. But it pretty much still boils down to luck. And if they do get hearworm it is both very expensive and not without risk to treat. Personally I think Id rather give the prev. and know that they are safe, but I also live in NC, where I dont think there is enough luck to get away with not giving prev lol..... Too warm and too many months with plenty of mosq.

I have bought things from 1800petmeds, not any rx product though. But it worked well the things I did buy.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 03:36:29 am »
i have been using
Ivomectin 1%
for cattle
1 cc per 110 lbs(oraly)

for 20 years
i never had heartworms
we give our dogs every month year round
since we live in a hot state

it's kind of ,,,,,,,,,,,up to you thing

oh  jeffers had a 50 CC  bottle on sale now  28.00
lasts me about a year
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 06:40:30 am »
I'm not sure exactly how the prices break down but I got Samson's Heartgard, Frontline, a heartworm test, & the vet visit for 158.00 total for the whole year.

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 07:09:13 am »
I knew a lot of people when I lived in the south who used horse or cattle paste, too. I've been in the animal business a long time, and did my own vaccs. etc. whenever I lived somewhere the supplies were readily available. The more I save on the routine vet stuff the more I have later for real emergencies.
I have some friends who swear by the holistic treatment, but that's something I would hesistate to do without supervision, and the only holistic vet around here really costs $$$$

The idea with testing every six months is that if the dog were infected between tests, it would only have microfilaria, since it takes longer than that for heartworms to mature, and in that case the ivomec treatment, which is not too big a deal, would clear them.

Decisions, decisions..... ...

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 07:41:04 am »
I used to work for a veterinarian and got a discount on my meds - painful to pay full price now!!!! I did some comparison shopping online and found that at bullwrinkle.co m it was the cheapest. You might want to check there. Having worked in a vets office and in rescue - plus adopting a beagle that had active infestation of heartworms - I would give preventative at all costs - it is just not worth the risk involved with treatment. Good luck!!!
Angie
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 09:49:37 am »
i have been using
Ivomectin 1%
for cattle
1 cc per 110 lbs(oraly)

for 20 years
i never had heartworms
we give our dogs every month year round
since we live in a hot state

it's kind of ,,,,,,,,,,,up to you thing

oh  jeffers had a 50 CC  bottle on sale now  28.00
lasts me about a year

I was actually using the Ivomectin for years with my dane, Oreo. Never had any problems either, but I've had vets try to steer me toward a "package" product. I assume some of that was profit driven, but I guess the packaged products do usually come with some type of guarantee (or they pay for treatment....s ome restrictions apply). I finally gave in and started using Heartgard. It is kinda insane that you have to double up for dogs over 100 lbs though. They should just add an XX-Large size. Hmmmm, maybe we should start a petition. ;)

Jason

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 10:41:13 am »
$40 a month thats crazy, I have 85,90 & 115 lbs Today I ordered Interceptor, it's about $6- a pill from Doctors Foster & Smith. You do need a prescription to order. $40 pack of Heartguard should have 6 pills in it.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline morticiaangie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 03:09:53 pm »
Heartguard is on sale right now on bullwrinkle.co m for $28.99 for a 6 month supply or $54.99 for a 12 month supply of the 51-100 lbs. dosage. Interceptor is $31.30 for 6 month and $59.99 for 12 month. You will need a prescription though.
"The life given us by nature is short; but the memory of a well-spent life is eternal."
~ Cicero 106-43 BC

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 08:49:44 pm »
My vet only charges $10 a month for 101-135lb heartgaurd, so I buy it from them. But they charge an arm and a leg for frontline, so I buy that online from KV vet supply through amazon.
RIP former BPO