Author Topic: Alaskan Malamutes  (Read 14244 times)

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Alaskan Malamutes
« on: February 19, 2006, 11:45:46 pm »
Seeing Costello at the National Championship and again at Westminster has sparked my interest in this gorgeous breed. I don't know much about them, so decided to ask you experts out there =]

I read that they are very affectionate, loyal, and faithful. Are they good with children? How's their upkeep? Are they extremely stubborn?

Any more info would be great =]

thanks!!  ;D

"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Alaskan Malamutes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 02:06:01 am »
I dopn't personally KNOW the breed, but I've fallen in love with them through Susan Conant's books.

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:30:11 am »
The northern breeds are not for the faint of heart. Don't get me wrong I LOVE them.. they are gorgeous. But too hard-headed for me. I'm too much of a softy to own one.

A friend of my mine has a female Siberian, Nanook and a Male Siberian/Malamute mix Willow which is Nanooks son. Nanook didn't settle down until she was 8 years old. LOL She is a very dominant girl. Took him awhile to take the Alpha position from her and keep it. :D Willow is fairly submissive, but very stubborn. He's been to 3 different trainer and still ignores commands. He's also broke out of numerous crates while they were at work and demolished the house. So they decided to try puting him in the basement instead (with all his toys, bones ect.) so he chewed through the door. LOL He just could not safely be left outside due to his escaping habits.

They both had their good and bad points. I love that they are so affectionate, and the Siberian Nanook is very protective. I had NO worries taking her for a walk by myself at night. ;)

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 09:34:05 pm »
I have 2 females, they are very strong willed and love to dig, a 3 ft. trench in 5 minutes is nothing. They are both very different, Tonka is more like a wolf and Nala is more like a dog. They talk a lot and you have to keep them entertained or they will do it themselves. Tonka had escaped 4 times recently so we had to add 1 more foot to the fence and fix her escape routes. The prey drives are kicking in for both of them. With the same sex aggression, it does occur; however you have to let them decide who is doggy Alpha. We went through the alpha battle for a week or so now Nala gives in to Tonka. It could have reversed several times, and I did have to get in the middle and stop it twice, but honestly I don't think I would ever have another breed. We want more when we move out of the city. They love to exercise also it is nothing on the weekends for them to hike 4 miles or more each day then come home and run around the yard or go to the doggy park for a while. My girls sleep with us at night or one on the bed and one on the floor they are inside while we are at work then out to play as much as they want until bed time.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:35:17 pm »
Sorry I forgot to mention the children part, all of the mals I know are wonderful with children, mine let the neighbor kids play all over them and are even good around babies.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 10:37:26 pm »
They have wonderful personalities and are very good with children but they are VERY strong willed...

When we had a 16 year old foster girl and her 2 year old son, arisha was very good with him. Whenever she didn't like what he was doing she'd either walk away or put her paw on him like she was telling him "stop" if she had to she'd put her mouth over his arm but not aggressively very gently kinda like when she baby corns... She was only almost a year when he was at our house...

BUT she has been known to eat the wall, cabinet handles, destroyed a bottle of cow wormer (thankfully i don't think she ingested much of it), various paper items, all things plastic. She steals horse brushed and will destroy them if you leave them in reach, apparently 2 week old dead decaying  chickens are appetizing to...

She also has a habit of running off and is doing better since we started using her dt good dog training color (thank goodness its waterproof), she has a habit of swimming in the water troughs, apparently the plastic kid pool isn't good enough for her...I'm sure the horses and cows appreciate malamute/husky fur...in their water...

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 09:43:32 am »
Yeah, the girls were having a conversation this morning before they left to go hiking and I was mocking them, Tonka did not like it and put her paw over my mouth like she was telling me to be quiet! ::)

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 09:16:42 pm »
Thank you all so much for the information!!

Hehe, loved the stories  :P
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline mal-coholic

• Ankle Biter
  • My beloved mal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 01:44:56 am »
Costello is gorgeous! I only saw pics and records from Westimnster but I must say he's great!
Congrats to his breeders/owners/handler!

Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 12:12:50 pm »
Alaskan Malamutes! Gorgeous breed, I must agree. Unfortunately, I didn't research them as much as I should have before we went out and bought one. Digging! Yes, digging is...so great. Um, 3 foot deep hole by foundation of our deck and house to be exact. Be prepared. Independent? Yes. Sometimes very stubborn. Zoey is...gone! Okay, just had to run halfway around the block to get her. She got out! All's well now. Okay. Zoey is very strong-willed and takes a lot of discipline before it gets through to her that she did something bad. And she chews EVERYTHING. And eats everything. But she's very loyal and loving. And she knews how I feel no matter what. Very important though- never, ever trust them off leash. They will not come back on their own free will! If you have a strong arm and strong will, be ready for a challenge. They aren't like any other breed, that's for sure!

But I'm not so sure I completely agree with the same-sex aggressiveness thing in all cases. We got Zoey at 5 weeks old and made sure to socialize her with every dog we could find. Most of them were females, and this was to solve the same-sex problem. Now she loves all dogs. And is nuts about her Saint sister. She is awesome with kids. It scares them a little because she gets so excited to see them that she jumps up sometimes, but we're working on that. She just gives them big kisses though. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 12:16:38 pm by Saint and Mal mom »
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Kristina

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 09:00:51 pm »
Kara is very stubborn!  She wants it her way or the highway. 

Not only did many people mention the digging, but Kara can jump clear over a four foot fence.  Her balance and agility is amazing (too bad she is too stubborn to take commands, lol).

She is very good with children.  David is 10, so he's big enough to rough house around with her.  She came from a home with two small children and still treats the baby (who is now 3!) as her own.  Kara would clean C's ears, face and everything in between.

She could be a little more gentle at times (with adults), but I don't think she realizes her size.

She's also too smart for her own good.  I tell my friends she's like one of those people who are "book smart" but have no common sense.  Malamutes (generally) tend to be problem solvers.  Kara definitely fits the generalization!

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 09:13:13 pm »
I have never owned one however did great research because DH wanted one. They, like everyone else has said, dig but the main thing is they are hunters by nature. They hunt to survive and will leave to find a hunt. It doesn't matter how much you feed them they want wild. The book "Call of the wild " is exactly what they hear the call of the wild.