Author Topic: Animals of Concern  (Read 4276 times)

Dobe SDs

Animals of Concern
« on: February 25, 2006, 02:05:41 pm »
The city of Lafayette, CO is proposing a disguised BSL they call "Animals of Concern."  Here is what I emailed to each of the officials in the city of Lafayette (outside of Denver): (you can see the report at
 http://www.cityoflafayette.com/files/itemii022106.pdf)

2/26/06

I am shocked that once again Colorado is making a worldwide name for themselves as a leader in Breed Specific Legislation (BSL.)  "Animals of Concern" is merely BSL in disguise.

I use a Doberman as my Service Dog; he helps me with mobility, fall recovery, and as medical alert.  Will you be responsible for helping to ban my Federal right to independence?

I also have an 11 month old black Labrador who is a SDIT (Service Dog In Training.)  If your "Animals of Concern" proposal were to go any further, my Lab would also be banned.  Because of the AKC breed standards, the Labrador has 1 or more traits resembling a bull dog: "strongly built, broad skull, powerful jaws of medium length."

Why must I be penalized and discriminated against because of the irresponsible dog ownership of others?  This is a can of worms you really don't want to open.  There is so much more to the picture than what the lobbyists have been telling you.  Don't let the graphic bite pictures and dog mauling stories sway you into thinking BSL is the only answer. 

The only true answer is responsible dog ownership backed by enforceable laws that punish those owners by holding them legally and financially responsible for their dogs.

Thank you for your time,
Rebecca Walker & Raven SD
Colorado Springs
If anyone would like the emails of those Lafayette city officials, let me know.

enuffpaws

Re: Animals of Concern
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 03:06:27 pm »
As usual poeple with no clue are making laws that only effect law abiding poeple. If irresponsible owners don't keep there dogs under control they won't care about a ban either. So the only poeple hurt by it is true dog lovers and their dogs.I have idea make irresonsible ownwers pay for there lack of respect for the dogs they have and the people around them; after all that's the real problem now. (IMO) >:(

dale ;) 

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 03:12:57 pm »
Isn't it just typical of our society to put a bandaid on a wound much deeper than a bandaid can fix?...BSL is so rediculous...I t literally makes me sick...If left to continue someday nobody will beable to own dogs...Then I guess they'll start banning "vicious" breeds of cats?

Dobe SDs

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 07:37:05 pm »
Re: "banning vicious breeds of cats"   I think they already do that in some places where the feral cat population is so huge and problematice; they shoot them, poison them, etc.  :'(
Humans seem to think the world revolves around them and there is no future to consider and no past to learn from.
The animals we share Mother Earth with must really think we're stupid!