Author Topic: Otis the Mastiff  (Read 50108 times)

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
Re: Otis the Mastiff
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 10:27:11 am »
Bumping this in hopes of an update!   :D
God help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

kristi

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 11:54:59 am »
Bumping this in hopes of an update!   :D

.....Got your bump!
Going to pick up Otis This AM to spend some quality time alone with him... car ride, walk, etc... a little trainer evaluation per se... ;D
If things go well I will bring him back to the house for a romp in the yard with Sampson & a short exposure to my cats. I have a 7yr. male DSH, Benji, & a 3yr. albino male (deaf) DSH, Marco Polo (LOL) :D.
I'm just concerned that Marco won't know if this "new" guy decides to check him out too closely. So I need to the their reactions to each other.
I will post again later... keep those questions, comments, & suggestions comin'! ;)
-k.

Nicole

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 12:00:48 pm »
Oh yeah...I didn't think of the weight factor. I can check it out if you want, though.  ;D Oh, and its not the humane society, its my vet. He will do rescues and stuff for $25, but you need to get the voucher from the HS. (they just give the voucher, not do the procedure)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 12:01:55 pm by Nicole »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 12:04:07 pm »
This is all so great!  Fingers and paws crossed that everybody accepts everybody else!  YEA!!! ;D ;D

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 12:33:02 pm »
The current oldest in my house is a siamese-type cat, Yoshi.  He is about 11 yrs now.  He has 'endured' the additions of 5 week old basset Holi [6 years ago], rescued 6 mth fluffy queen cat Precious [first we changed her name to Gabby then spayed, 5 years ago], goofy 5 yr GD with no physical awareness  ::) [1 year ago], found 5 week kitten terror [6 months ago], and an adult beagle we found a couple months ago who has NO cat experience [none of the cat's are declawed and will smack a too inquisitive nose when needed].

I'm telling you this because all the cats have handled the successive new additions well.  If Yoshi doesn't approve, he will ignore me and the newbie.  He was an only child for a long time but has adjusted very well.  I know there are plenty of cats that don't like change but have found that if things remain as normal as possible and they are allowed their own space to escape to, they will work it out shortly.

BTW, I LOVE Marco's name!  Very inventive :D
I look forward to hearing how things went.  Perhaps pictures ;)?
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 12:36:21 pm »
Kristi, I'm so excited!  And I'm glad you're really taking your time to see if Otis is a good fit for you - that shows so much responsibility and dedication on your part.  And I've found in my experience with my animals that they do adjust.  I think it's a pretty rare situation where animals simply *can't* be together.

I've emailed the vet tech I told you about and am waiting for her response.  Hopefully we'll have lots of good news today!

Good luck with the meeting!

~~Lisa

Offline declanssexymama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Um, I got BIG!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 12:38:33 pm »
I just thought of something...wh at about PAWS Chicago?  Don't they do low-cost neutering too? 

GR8DAME

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 06:19:51 pm »
I just thought of something...wh at about PAWS Chicago?  Don't they do low-cost neutering too? 

They do, thru the Lurie Family Spay and nueter Clinic, but there are no possible availible appts there until sometime in May.
Stella

kristi

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 06:47:41 pm »
I meant to post sooner, but I've been tossing this around for awhile... ???

As Julie just said, I am concerned for Marco Polo.
His sight isn't too awful, but he is completely deaf & I had him front de-clawed a year ago after he destroyed the sofa & two chairs... Sam had been here for a year already, & I knew Marco would be safe - they're both indoor only cats. Sampson could care less about the cats, but Otis was very interested in them & Marco was very distressed.

I had put up the gate as you guys had recommended. I was really impressed with Sampson! He tried to block Otis as the cats ran under the gate. Otis really wasn't going to let that stop him he really wanted to see the cats.

:-[ I feel awful, because Otis really is a great dog! What a great personality - he'll make a great pet for someone this big dog experience! He's got the basics & just needs a little re-freshing.

I guess I'm just going to have to face the fact that I'm probably going to have to get a puppy & train it from the start so Sam can have a buddy & for Marco's safety. :-\

Kiahpyr

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 08:30:42 pm »
Julie I want you to know that my husband had the same concerns bringing a new dog into our house. He was very worried about the money aspect, damage to the house, yard, etc. Kiah really loves having a playmate. Yes you have the extra expense once a year on shots, but it's so worth it. That is if all are healthy. If not we have a savings account set up for rainy days. I beleive that 2 dogs are better then one. They exercise each other and aren't begging you to play with them all the time. I am very happy that we have Kitana.

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 08:34:13 pm »
First I have to tell you I looked at Gweck's Paw Print and love the 4th picture. And I have to ask -- how did you come up with that name ???? It is quite unusual.

I'm sorry things didn't work out for Kristi but am glad he still has a chance at getting a good home.

... definitely nervous, excited and scared at the same time at the thought of getting a second dog let alone another big paw. So we need some advice. We are afraid because of the financial thoughts, more food, more vet bills, more everything....
I think it's like having a skin-kid. (We don't have one but I am married to a Navy man so know plenty of people who do and some of what they've gone thru when adding another body to the household.) Everyone's almost always worried about something and finances seem to be at the top of the list. And everyone works it out just fine. As for vet, shots only happen once a year. Injuries are always random no matter how many kids you have.

...In general we're just nervous, we don't want to get in over our heads. We live in Chicago (Lakeview) to be specific. We live in a condo, we are 2 blocks from a park that we take Gweck to everyday, sometimes 2x a day. Also we're close to a jogging path (not that we would take Otis jogging but nice scenic walks :D) ....
It sounds like you are in terrific area and the 2 would be able to play with each other often. It also sounds like they won't be lacking in affection or exercise! 8)

...Were any of you nervous about getting a second dog? Were you scared about the financial impact of 2 Giant Breeds? anything helps! Thank you!!!! Julie
I'm always nervous when I know a new kid is coming, even if it's just for a visit. Will they like me? Each other? What bad habits do they have? How quickly will hubby teach them new one's :-[? As for finances, it has never really crossed my mind. I'm usually thinking about everything else and know the rest will settle itself. My mom is always concerned for us about the money so I always make sure we have a min of $1000 in savings.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 08:41:55 pm by paharts »
We might not be able to save them all, but we sure can try - Hart's Animal Rescue & Training-Forever Home Adoptions/H.A.R.T.-FHA

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2006, 08:59:41 pm »
... Sampson could care less about the cats, but Otis was very interested in them & Marco was very distressed.

I had put up the gate as you guys had recommended. I was really impressed with Sampson! He tried to block Otis as the cats ran under the gate....
It sounds like Sampson is a great protector of what's his. You are very lucky :)

...:-[ I feel awful, because Otis really is a great dog!....
If it was meant to be, it would have been. This just means there is a different one out there who needs your special touch more.

...I guess I'm just going to have to face the fact that I'm probably going to have to get a puppy & train it from the start so Sam can have a buddy & for Marco's safety. :-\
Perhaps you can find an older one that has already been exposed to cats? One can hope :D
Best wishes,

Offline paharts

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Guinness, Kado, Holi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2006, 11:50:38 pm »
Personal opinion: I like lazy. And have a HUGE soft spot for Mastiffs. I would get the Mastiff over an Aussie any day. And I would contact an Aussie rescue to help this guy find his dog a new home that will treat it SO much better.

I had a neightbor with an Aussie. Boy was she a handful (the dog, not the neighbor :))! I know energetic puppies that had more down time than her ::)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 11:52:34 pm by paharts »

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2006, 11:56:46 pm »
   As having an aussie I will warn you they are extremely high energy.  They tend to be very clingy and they need structure and some way to channel their energy.  If you do get the aussie NEVER try to corner it, they will snap.  Make sure you socialize them because they can be iffy with strangers, but the fact he was okay with meeting you guys indicates he should be good.  They are extremely smart and loyal dogs.  Look more into the breed and spend alot of time with him if you're really interested. 
   Try taking him places and watch his reactions.  I love my aussie but I'm the first to admit she has issues.  Also with him being crated so much he's going to have a ton of energy right now so take him out for a long play session and see how he is after.  But I'd suggest giving him a chance, they're really smart and he is young so you can still change his ways.  He also may be actually one of the calm ones and won't be as hyper once you get the pent up energy out.

If you have any more questions on aussies you can PM me. There are also a few other aussie owners on here too. I'd love to see pictures too!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 12:01:19 am »
I agree.  Aussies are not for the average owner.  Not that I don't think you could handle one, but I've never met one that doesn't act like it's on stimulants all day long.  If they aren't kept busy or occupied or have a "job" to do they can turn into real terrors.

I, too would pick a mastiff over an aussie any day.  Even though I think they are great dogs, and my parent's had an aussie mix, I just don't think I could keep one occupied enough.  But if you're an active family it might be the right dog for you.  I much prefer a couch potato to a dog with a permanent sugar high.