Author Topic: Mastitis = spay?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline TxCloverAngel

• Gnawer
  • Puppies born 2/13/06
    • View Profile
    • Clover Country Farms
Mastitis = spay?
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:05:04 pm »
Hi again y'all!!
Sara's pups are now three weeks old.  they are starting real food.  doing well.
But Sara has on tit that has mastitis pretty bad.  she is on antibiotics.  The vet says it's a 50/50 chance she'll get it next time she is bred.  She said often people spay any bitch who has a history of mastitis.
But she also said we could get her on antibiotics BEFORE her next litter is born and that may help...

Whats your thoughts?
It just seems such a shame.. she is such a great momma and has beautiful pups.
btw.. she is not letting the pups nurse form that tit.

any advice would be great! thanks so much!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Mastitis = spay?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 10:36:50 am »
I'm sorry your girl has mastitis! That must be painful. :'(

Honestly, if she were my dog, I would have her spayed after the babies are weaned. She has brought a beautiful litter into the world. I would hate to see her have problems again with the next litter, especially if you knew you could prevent the whole thing by not breeding her again. Antibiotics are not good for the body, and I wouldn't think they are good for the puppies' little bodies either, since they are being passed to the babies in the milk. They destroy the healthy intestinal bacteria and can really cause a number of other troubles. It seems to me that if you are going to breed dogs at all, only the healthiest should be bred, and now that you know your girl has a tendency toward a problem that would only occur if she's bred, why risk future infections? Maybe one of her female pups will stand out as an exceptional specimen of the Great Dane breed... if you have your heart set on continuing to breed danes.  :)
Good luck with those gorgeous puppers! ;D

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Mastitis = spay?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 08:42:30 am »
i know i was told that Mastitis is very painful and only gets worst if left alone, like she's doing by not letting her litter nurse.  i would think of it just like how humans describe it.  they say it's like you have the flu.  after reading this, i don't think i'd want to go through this, let alone, put my dog through this a second time, if it seems likely that this will be repetitive.

Signs of mastitis include:

* Part or all of the breast is intensely painful, hot, tender, red, and swollen. Some mothers can pinpoint a definite area of inflammation, while at other times the entire breast is tender.

* You feel tired, run down, achy, have chills or think you have the flu. A breastfeeding mother who thinks she has the flu probably has mastitis. Mothers with mastitis will sometimes experience these flu-like symptoms, even before they get a fever or notice breast tenderness.

* You have chills or feel feverish, or your temperature is 101F or higher. These symptoms suggest that you have an infection.

* You are feeling progressively worse, your breasts are growing more tender, and your fever is becoming more pronounced. With simple engorgement, a plugged duct, or mastitis without infection, you gradually feel better instead of worse.

how to fix it, it says

Breastfeed frequently on the affected side. If it hurts to nurse the baby, start the feeding on the breast that is not sore, and switch to the sore side after your milk lets down. Breastfeeding is usually more comfortable when the milk is flowing. It's important to empty the inflamed breast. As in other parts of the body, fluid that is trapped can get infected.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022200.asp
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]