Author Topic: BPO needs a forum for our experiences with stupid people!!...VENT!!!  (Read 4847 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

It was a beautiful day here in Iowa...Temps were in the 50's so my daughter I took the Great White Trio for a walk...My daughter had Rosie on a short leash & I was walking Samson & Pippin...We walked downtown & all 3 dogs did great when meeting people & Sam & Pippin even let kids pet them!...We walked down the the vet's office & weighed our pack...The did great with the Lab that was in the lobby & her owner!...What a great walk!...UNTIL, on our way home, some lady was across the street doing yardwork & her little 20 lb. or so Beagle looking dog runs out of her yard, across the street & right up to us...Well, I grab Rosie's leash as all 3 of my dogs start to go beserk trying to kill this little intruder...So, I am holding back & managing over 300 lbs. of dog who are h*ll bent at getting this little yappy dog...I have a bad knee that needs surgery to fix, a bad ankle on the opposite leg, & I am 5 ft. 4, overweight & out of shape to boot!...None of my dogs are complying to my "NO'S" OR "SITS"...My 7 yr. old daughter is trying to force at least Pippin into a sit with all her might to no avail...Well, this lady takes her sweet time getting acrossed the street & to her dog & when she gets there all full of "I'm sorry's" she takes her dog by the collar & tries to drag him back acrossed the street & he plants his butt & won't budge...She obviously isn't pulling very hard on the collar...The whole time my dogs are literally in "kill" mode as I am sure they think we were being attacked...I am using literally all my might to keep them managed & off this dog while she tries to get him to walk with her...Finally I scream "PICK YOUR FU**ING DOG UP LADY"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...So, she shoots me a dirty look & finally picks her little dog up & carries him back home...That really sucked!...& ya' know what?"...If my dogs were able to get at her dog & hurt it guess who who'd been the bad guy?...ME because I happen to have big dogs who don't take kindly to being run up to by another barking dog while they are on leash...I am so p.o.'d!!!!!!!! >:(

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: BPO needs a forum for our experiences with stupid people!!...VENT!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 06:39:47 pm »
I am convinced that unless you are trying to manage a big dog, (or two or three) a person can't understand 'dog'!  A small dog that can be picked up to move doesn't really count....it's more of a hobby than real dog ownership...wi th all that goes in to it.  You were magnificent to do as well as you did!  The  small dog lived! I completely understand trying to control 250+ pounds of dog.  It's just not pretty, sometimes!!!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 07:29:14 pm »
I am convinced that unless you are trying to manage a big dog, (or two or three) a person can't understand 'dog'!  A small dog that can be picked up to move doesn't really count....it's more of a hobby than real dog ownership...wi th all that goes in to it.  You were magnificent to do as well as you did!  The  small dog lived! I completely understand trying to control 250+ pounds of dog.  It's just not pretty, sometimes!!!
Ty for understanding! :) It is hard to explain what this kind of situation entails to someone who has never had to do it...Ty also for your compliment on how I did in the situation...Al l I could do is go into "survival mode"...I really wasn't able to put much thought into it...But, you're right, the small dog lived...I guess I did o.k.! :D

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 07:37:41 pm »
I'm a compassionate person, really I am.  But I hear this, and we experience it ourselves, where little dogs NOT on a leash, not in a fence, just running loose, try and attack our big dogs WHO ARE ON A LEASH! minding their own business....If my dog kills their dog, it is their fault/problem and not mine.  They obviously don't care enough about their dog to worry about him getting run over by a car, stolen, mauled, etc... It is not my responsibility to babysit their inadequacies.

But in all honesty, I don't think anyone has anything to worry about with our dogs.. they should worry more about the owner, because if one of those yappy overbred little man syndrome dogs bites my dog he will become instantly puntable.  :-\

Sorry, getting old & lacking patience  ;D

PS: Gypsy, I think you handled yourself wonderfully.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 07:38:55 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 11:46:24 pm »
I so can relate to your feelings, Chelle! Walking our three is an adventure on any given day, and repeated cries of "Leave it" and "walk on" is totally ineffective when some undisciplined mop is snapping at their heels, or hanging from their jowles. I, like Brandon, have threatened to (and I confess once did) punt a mojo. I figured a boot in it's butt was better than turning my dogs loose to defend themselves, which was my second option.
I am heartily sick of irresponsible owners of dogs of any size who ignore leash laws, and then look at me as tho I am in the wrong for daring to walk my leashed dogs on the public sidewalk.
Stella

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 01:56:02 am »
I so can relate to your feelings, Chelle! Walking our three is an adventure on any given day, and repeated cries of "Leave it" and "walk on" is totally ineffective when some undisciplined mop is snapping at their heels, or hanging from their jowles. I, like Brandon, have threatened to (and I confess once did) punt a mojo. I figured a boot in it's butt was better than turning my dogs loose to defend themselves, which was my second option.
I am heartily sick of irresponsible owners of dogs of any size who ignore leash laws, and then look at me as tho I am in the wrong for daring to walk my leashed dogs on the public sidewalk.
Stella
I know Stella!...I almost cried today for feeling like maybe I shouldn't even have my kind of dogs if I can't control them. :'( :-\ Even though I know I didn't do anything wrong part of me still feels like I am not an adequate dog mama because of what  almost happened & that just bites I have to feel that way because I was doing what I'm supposed to while walking my dogs...This isn't the 1st time something like this has happened to us but it's the worst time yet...I am sick irresponsible dog owners too!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 08:07:56 am »
I think you  did a good job controlling them....if it were me I would have gone flying trying to hold your three.  The stupid little dog is still alive so I think you did a good job.  I probably would have booted the thing back across the street, maybe it'd help it learn some manners. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 10:37:00 am »
You did a wonderful job controlling them and they did wonderful with the walk until they were intruded. I commend you for holding down 3 dogs, I am in shape and have a hard time holding my 2 down during rough times and their weight is only ~135 together. Don't let that get to you, you are a good doggy momma and if you weren't trust me they would not have done go great on the whole walk. We have a small dog in the neighborhood that runs loose and gets under my dogs skin while they are in their back yard and if they growl at her, the owner looks at me like I have mistreat my dogs and tells me that they need training. >:( (They have been through training and go socialize at the dog park every day and do fine with other dogs of that same breed)

kristi

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 11:23:38 am »
ugh little ankle-biters! >:(
Owners like that are just stupid! (trying to control my language!) >:(

I commend you for being able to control your trio! You did a great job! ;)

I don't know what the leash laws are like where you live. But here, the police would have been called & that owner would be facing tickets & big fines. The munincipalitie s don't tolerate "dogs at large" any more.

If you were here & your dogs would have done anything to the little dog, the owner wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on. Her dog was off leash & she was in the wrong. And from how it sounds, she was in no hurry to remedy the situation. That's just ignorance. I would've yelled at her too. I can't stand people like that.

Big dog owners feel the need to go out of their way to make sure the dogs are trained, socialized, & under control. This way we can take them out with us & the general public doesn't feel "threatened" by their size.

On the other hand, when I am out, I frequently see little dogs on flexi-leads (if at all) & they are all over the place. Their owners have no clue how to control them & or what to do when we approach. They really make me nervous. They just expect that I will step aside or sit/stay my dog or cross to the other side of the street, because they're certainly not changing their direction! >:(

Like I said ignorance...
If common sense were common, everyone would have it!

You did great!
-k.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 02:12:13 pm »
You did great Chelle! I hate stupid people who let thier dogs run loose. The same thing happen to me a few months ago. I was walking Kiah and my mom was pushing my daughter in a stroller. All of a sudden a little mojo came running up to us. Kiah went ballistic. She was serious going to attack this mojo. She was growling, baring teeth and lunging. She had on a choker and didn't care she was choking herself. I had to grab the choker to help hold her back. It was horrible! I was so scared! Luckily the owner called the dog back and it listened. My hand was red for days from holding the choker.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 03:58:21 pm »
Thanks guys!...I feel much better today about the incident...The next time we walk past there & I see her out with her dog I am going to ask her to restrain her dog & have a nice chat with her about what could have easily happened.