Author Topic: Should I be feeding large breed puppy food to Lola?  (Read 5776 times)

Lyn

Should I be feeding large breed puppy food to Lola?
« on: July 02, 2006, 08:45:32 am »
I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure whether I should be feeding Lola a large breed puppy food or not.

She eating the same food Bubba is right now.. which is Eagle Pack 'Anchovy, Sardine and Salmon' adult. I found someone that will stock it for me so I ditched the 'Fromm Salmon a la veg)

Here's the Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein min. 22.0%
Crude Fat min. 12.0%
Crude Fiber max. 3.9%
Moisture max. 10.0%

** The values listed for Calcium and Phosphorus are minimum guarantees. Average actual figures for Calcium is 1.2%, the figure for Phosphorus is 0.9%. **

356 ME (Kcal/cup)

Calcium min. 0.95%**
Phosphorus min. 0.80%**
Vitamin A min. 22,000 IU/kg.
Vitamin E min. 125 IU/kg.
Omega 6 min. 3.2%*
Omega 3 min. .44%*
Glucosamine min. 400 ppm; 41 mg/cup*

I've been giving her double the amount of food recommended for her weight on the bag. But does this sound good for a growing puppy or no? I *could* pick her up something else but it's so much easier to feed Lola and Bubba the same food.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 08:46:40 am by Lyn »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Should I be feeding large breed puppy food to Lola?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 09:16:23 pm »
I am a big beliver in feeding saint puppies adult food to slow their growth and protect their hips.

I would keep feeding her that food for now and down the line occasionally rotate so that she can have different protein sources since she doesn't have the same allergies as bubba
RIP former BPO

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 12:15:23 am »
I don't know what to recommend brand-wise as far as food is concerned, but I do know that I have always heard it was best for Saint pups to be on puppy food. Large breed puppy food that is. That's what Dolly's on til she's 2.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 03:26:01 am »
My advise would be to put her on adult food as well. Slow growth is the best growth!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 01:34:58 pm »
Thanks all. I think what I'll do what LaurelGrove mentioned and rotate through the other EP holistic foods for Lola. Even if I just buy small bags at a time and mix it with the fish one so she's getting more than on protein source.

I fed Bubba large breed foods and he seemed to grow way too quick. I ended up switching him to adult food at 6 months old to try and slow him down. So I want to avoid that with her and just stick with the adult and see how she grows.

So far she isn't sensitive to anything which is good so I shouldn't have any problem adding in the different foods.

Thanks again all.  ;)

Lyn

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 08:59:00 am »
Ok.. Lola is growing like a weed on this food. She's put on 5 pounds in 2 weeks. I don't even want to imagine how much she would have gained if I was feeding her puppy food. :o

She is now 35 pounds and turned 12 weeks old yesterday.

My vet said she weighs a little more than she should at this age. :-\ I know I'm not overfeeding her.. she's getting 4 cups of the EP a day split into 3 meals. Does anyone remember how much their female saints weighed at 12 weeks?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 09:00:23 am by Lyn »

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 09:10:24 am »
Here is a link to a Saint Bernard weight chart.  You have probably already seen it but.....

http://www.acay.com.au/~dissi/sbc/weight.htm

I really don't know how accurate it is beacuse it was developed quite a few years ago - the breed may have changed a little bit since then.  I can tell you that Teddy started out a bit under the average, but is now pretty much right on the average every week as stated in the chart.
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 01:17:06 pm »
Yup I do have have that site. ;) According to the chart she's a couple pounds over what a female should weigh at her age.

I really don't know why my vet thinks she is too heavy. ??? I can feel her ribs, she's not fat. She's just solid.

You know what's funny at 12 weeks Bubba was 29 pounds.. and the females are suppose to be lighter than the males. :D

OH my check this out, haha.... Here's Bubba at 12 weeks.. and Lola at 11 weeks. She's twice as thick as he is. He's taller and thinner. I think all Bubba's weight was from his big head. LMAO
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 01:18:02 pm by Lyn »

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 01:23:34 pm »
From those pics, you should have named Lola "Sumo"!  LOL!  What a solid little thing she is! 

I don't think you have a thing to worry about!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 02:01:52 pm »

She's put on 5 pounds in 2 weeks....She is now 35 pounds and turned 12 weeks old yesterday....

she's getting 4 cups of the EP a day split into 3 meals. Does anyone remember how much their female saints weighed at 12 weeks?

At 12 weeks Zoey was about 30lbs. The ideal for a saint puppy, according to my vet, is for them to gain about 12 lbs a week, which would be 3 lbs a week, so it sounds like she is pretty much on track. She may be a smidge over the ideal for 12 weeks but nothing to worry about if you ask me. That being said, 4 cups sounds like a lot of food  :o What is the suggested serving size on your package of eagle pack? I looked at it online and it said 2cups a day for her age/size, but I don't know if it's the same variety you use
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 02:13:53 pm »
LMAO Penny. When I was comparing the pics Sumo came to my mind too. :D

shangrila, Yeah I'm pretty sure it is about 2 cups for a 30 pound dog. But that guideline is for adult dogs. I was assumption that for puppies the amount was doubled since they require more for growth. Maybe I was wrong?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 04:48:52 pm »
The eagle pack official site doesn't list feeding recommendation s, so I checked the eagle pack listing on the petco site (they list all info including serving sizes for foods). This is what it says:

>Adult Dog Feeding Chart5 lb. dog: 1/4 - 1/2 cup daily
15 lb. dog: 1/2 - 1 cup daily
30 lb. dog: 1 - 1 1/2 cups daily
50 lb. dog: 1 3/4 - 2 cups daily
75 lb. dog: 2 - 3 cups daily
100 lb. dog: 4 - 5 cups daily
100+ lb. dog: 1/2 cup each additional 10 lbs. daily

Puppy Feeding Chart: 4 - 10 Weeks of Age
Feed the amount shown three times daily.
Small Breed Dog 5 - 9 lbs. at maturity: 3/4 cup
Medium Breed Dog 9 - 22 lbs. at maturity: 3/4 - 1 cup
Large Breed Dog 22 - 55 lbs. at maturity: 1 - 1 1/2 cups

Puppy Feeding Chart: 11 - 18 Weeks of Age
Small Breed Dog 5 - 9 lbs. at maturity: 3/4 - 1 1/4 cups
Medium Breed Dog 9 - 22 lbs. at maturity: 1 - 1 1/2 cups
Large Breed Dog 22 - 55 lbs. at maturity: 1 3/4 - 2 cups

Puppy Feeding Chart: 19 - 25 Weeks of Age
Small Breed Dog 5 - 9 lbs. at maturity: 1 1/4 - 1 3/4 cups
Medium Breed Dog 9 - 22 lbs. at maturity: 1 1/2 - 2 cups
Large Breed Dog 22 - 55 lbs. at maturity: 2 1/4 - 2 3/4 cups

It doesn't say info for a giant  breed puppy, but I would assume she should be eating between 2-3 cups a day.
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 07:17:09 am »
Thank you Shangrila.

Ok maybe I'm reading that wrong.. but it says "Feed this amount 3 times daily. Large Breed Dog 22 - 55 lbs. at maturity: 1 3/4 - 2 cups.. So would that not mean 5.25-6 cups total a DAY.

The adult amounts state daily right on them. But the puppy amounts say feed this amount 3 times a day.

Ok I could just be delusional since I'm sleep deprived. LOL But that's what I'm getting from it.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 07:22:40 pm »
I had assumed that was the total amount for the day, but now you have me all confused, so I'm not sure what they mean  ???
RIP former BPO