Author Topic: Shedding Like Crazy!!!!!  (Read 3385 times)

Offline SirBronson

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Shedding Like Crazy!!!!!
« on: May 25, 2005, 09:21:09 pm »
Hello Everyone!!! I'm new!  I have a 11 month old fawn, Sir Bronson.  He is awesome! We love him so much but,not his fur all over everything!!!!  He had this amazingly shiney coat then all the sudden he was shedding like a mad man and his coat looks all pitted and gross. Any ideas?Is there any thing I can do? HELP!!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 09:37:39 pm by SirBronson »

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
Re: Shedding Like Crazy!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 04:05:03 am »
sounds like the summer shed time

i use a shedding blad to pull out all the dead undercoat
also  i use fortified wheat germ oil as a supliment on all our dogs
it made   for hourses, so becareful of the dose

i use 1 tsp each  even on my giant breed dog
they love it  i put it in the food

TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 07:05:05 am »
I use the shedding blade on my medium (lab length) haird Newf mix, Rocco, and lately I get enough hair off ot make a small dog.  My Mastiff with the shorter hair really doesn't shed much. 
If I don't brush Rocco often he gets dusty looking and looses his shine but as soon as I brush him he looks like he spent a day at the beauty parlor.  Plus, since I have brushed him at least once a week since he was a pup, he loves to be brushed.  He will come running just to be brushed.

let me know if it works on your guy.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 12:36:11 pm »
Welcome to Big Paws, SirBronson. Yes, we are in the middle of shedding season. If you can brush your dane a few times a week, you will notice great improvements with his coat. Otherwise, they get that dusty look like they've been sitting on the shelf for too long. Plus, you see dog hair tumbleweeds rolling across the wood floors.

I'm not sure what you mean by "his coat looks all pitted." Is he losing hair in circles or patches? Do you see bare skin?

Jason

Offline deafdanelvr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 07:51:35 am »
Hello! I have a 6yr. old dane who in the past few months started having issues with his hair. It looks pitted and thin in some areas like you described. He also nibbled and licked his feet alot. We figured it was allergies. These danes are very sensitive at times. The vet told us to give him benadryl everyday and bathe him with a special shampoo. His hair is improving daily. Also, I give both of my danes N'zymes daily. I don't know if you have ever heard of that or not, it is sold online and is recommended on the great dane lady's website for a variety of issues. I started using it on Zion because he was having over-active anal glands, and was at the point of considering having his glands removed. Well, this stuff really has helped alot. Now, Zeus gets it daily too for his skin/hair. Just some things for you to consider. I hope your baby is doing better!