Author Topic: My little Eider man has been poisoned!  (Read 14542 times)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
My little Eider man has been poisoned!
« on: March 10, 2006, 11:31:18 am »
Don't even know where to begin. Eider, our 10 mo old Lab pup, is at the vet. This morning after he ate his breakfast he threw up and then started shaking like I've never seen a dog shake before. he could hardly walk and when he did walk, it was like a drunken sailor. Foaming and drooling at the mouth. I called the vet. They wanted to see him at 4:45 pm. I thought about that for a minute, called back and said we're coming NOW! The vet thinks it is some form of poison, I confess I can't remember the name of the poison family he thought. I know we have a bottle of malathion in the barn. He said that would do it. It could have been skin contact or eaten. I jsut spent an hour out there in the barn trying to figure out what it could be. It is like there is so much out there that it could be (malathion, plant foods, bug killers, antifreeze, etc) but none of those are where he could get into them or seem to be leaking or anything like that. I'm exhausted! I'm still not feeling well myself with lung issues that has been going on for more than a month now and I was desperately trying to figure out what he might have gotten into that could be doing this. DH got called in to a shooting today and has 3 other major cases that he's trying to keep up with at work, working all weekend. I don't think he'll be a lot of help in my investigation! What a mess. Anyway, I'd appreciate puppy prayers for my little brat! The wierd thing is that the other 3 dogs were all at the barn this morning too and every other morning. No one else is sick. Just my little brat. If one of the kids got into whatever it is, it could be a problem for them as well. According to the vet it could be a skin contact problem. No kids are talking. I'm so frustrated I'm not sure whether to believe them or not. They are all great liars but they understand the seriousness of the situation and that it could be more dogs or even them and still no one is talking so I'm thinking they really don't know what it is either. I'm feeling numb at this point.
Daphne

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: My little Eider man has been poisoned!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 11:35:39 am »
How horrible!  You have my prayers and best wishes to a quick recovery for Eider!  I hope you find out what it was soon...
Jacquie
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 11:42:13 am »
I am so sorry to hear that this happened! I hope everything works out ok for poor Eider
RIP former BPO

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 11:44:59 am »
I hope he gets well soon, and I hope you can find what did it too.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 12:52:55 pm »
Oh poor Eider - I hope you have had some good news by now!  I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well and everything is happening at the same time!!

Sending prayers for Eider!!!

Randy & Harley

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 01:38:15 pm »
 :'(

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 03:31:29 pm »
sending prayers your way, I hope he feels better soon.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 03:42:00 pm »
OMG! i am SO sorry! that is a horrible thing to happen, but i just hope he will be fine, and that you will solve the problem soon!

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 04:19:23 pm »
Eider man is a little better this afternoon, he's more settled, not shaking like he was. Tremors is I guess a better word. It was clearly the central nervous system that was affected. The vet was pretty certain that it was something that would behave like malathion. My brother is in med school and sent me something about malathion poisioning and it follows those symptoms pretty closely, not all but a lot. Interesting I've been having some major lung problems and one of the sypmtoms is lung problems. Hmmmm. Connection? Brother pointed that out. This is wild. I have 3 more dogs here and 3 kids. I'd really like to figure out what it was. I kind of doubt it is rat poisoning. The only rat poison I use is the green feed-like bait. I use it in the fall only, put it inside a pen and close off that pen so that the chickens, dogs, etc won't get in there. Then I watch it carefully until it is all eaten. It is possible that something was hoarding that and he got it but I would expect to see it in what he threw up. I saw everything else in there! He doesn't have access to any houseplants but he can get into stuff outdoors. I know we have nightshade but I think that would die off in the winter. Not much is alive out there right now. We do have a little Rhubarb poking up through but it doesn't look like enough that he could really get at it. It is JUST peaking up. The thought has crossed my mind too about deliberate poisoning by someone. My husband has locked up a lot of people. It isn't outside the realm of possible. DH will be late tonight and has to go in early again tomorrow but we'll see if I can't get him out there to take a look and see if he can see something I've missed. Meanwhile, no dogs out at the barn! I THINK that is where the problem is... My almost 14 yr old Lab absolutely adores the little brat. She's already noticed that he's not here and she's clingy.  This is so frustrating!
Daphne

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 04:26:09 pm »
I am SO sorry!!  That's just awful...especi ally when there are SOOO many possiblities!  We had an accidental poisoning with our first two Newfs with Ortho Snail Bait. They coat it with molasses, so it attracts not only snails but Newfs (and all other animals). They had a very similar reaction, but supposedly the active ingredient that's is in snail bait is very treatable. That is the very LAST time I've purchased any Ortho product!!! 

Eider's in our thoughts and prayers!!!   (and you too!!!!)

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 05:11:25 pm »
Poor Eider - hope the poor little fella is feeling better soon and you get to the bottom of the mystery.

k2campbell

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 06:55:47 pm »
Oh no, I'm so sorry about Eider.  Sending positive thoughts (and prayers) your way that everything turns out alright for the poor little fella.  Take care of yourself too please!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 06:56:09 pm by k2campbell »

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 07:34:19 pm »
I am praying that he recovers quickly!...The poor little guy!

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 07:54:47 pm »
I am hoping he is up and running around soon. Some poisonings are very treatable. You need to try and figure it out so he don't get into it again.
When I was a Vet Tech we treated the same dog three times in a row for the same poisoning before  his owner figured it out. There were these rope like things That the people down the road from them used. It was strung between 2 trees and the cattle used to rub themselves on it. I  was treated with insecticide and their dog kept getting into it
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 07:56:25 pm »
Sending prayers for you and Eider.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)