Author Topic: Great Dane Paw...  (Read 9409 times)

cricket36580

Great Dane Paw...
« on: March 17, 2006, 08:30:54 pm »
Anyone else's danes "paw" you?  I know Pyrs have the famous "pyr paw".  Baloo does it but he doesn't gouge furrows in my legs.  The other 2 do it and will incapacitate me.  They don't mean to hurt anyone.  It's like they're trying to hold you down to love on you or box with you while playing.  I've tried everything I know to get them to stop and they keep on going.  I'm sporting a lovely tri-colored bruise on the inside of my thigh right now from Bella "helping" me get into the bath...  Gee thanks!!!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Great Dane Paw...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 10:29:07 pm »
Gunther used to do this too when we first got him, but I put a quick stop to it, as I didn't want him smacking some kid with a giant foot.

It will be a bit more difficult to get an adult or older dane to stop.  We used the "no paw" and "off" alot, as he usually did it to us when we were sitting down.

Now he's started the juvenile jumping on you  phase.  Yay!  :P  :P

mjjensen

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 10:52:59 pm »
  I don't have a Dane but I do have a Pyr paw problem. Sam is like an alarm clock. Every morning around 5 oclock I get a paw in the face. I've even tried sleeping with my head under the covers but he still crawls under and bats me one until I get up. I'm not sure how to correct it since I'm sleeping when he does it. Since all three pups sleep in the bedroom I don't really want to shut one of them out but I may have to if I can't find a solution. I have learned to keep Sam's claws trimmed after going to work several times with scratches all over my face. People look at me funny when I try to tell them that I have a very persistent alarm clock. Any suggestions?

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 07:18:17 am »
 :D  I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one this happens to.  It's usually when they are excited or playing or something like that but when you're trying to go potty or get into the bath, those paws become lethal....

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 12:36:05 pm »
Sadie does this! I always have scratches and bruises on my legs. She does it to my back in the mornings to wake me up (usually between 6:45 and 7:15, but occasionally earlier, like today at 6:00).

If it's not first thing in the morning, she's usually doing it to get my attention to go outside. For a while, I had her down to only doing it to go out to potty and to wake me up (can't really stop it if I'm asleep). Lately, she's started doing it a little more frequently.

Riley used to paw the air, after watching Sadie. Pretty soon, he got that he was supposed to hit you, but I nipped that in the bud by telling him, "Give me paw," everytime he did it. So he'd hand me his paw instead of hitting me. Now he usually paws at the air, but occasionally, he'll just take a swipe at me, especially at my face if I'm sitting... ouch!

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 01:07:29 pm »
Maggie always tries to touch everything with her paws:  us, the doors, the cats, the laundry piled on the floor...  I thought she learned it from the cats :D  Yeah,now that she's getting bigger and heavier, it hurts like crazy when she gets you with those big 'ol things ;)
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 07:58:29 am »
Pippin is the KING of what we call "Dirty Devil Dog Paw" around here..."No Dirty Devil Dog Paw, Pippin" is heard around here many many times a day! ;D :-\ :D

Offline fatfutures

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 04:11:50 pm »
Joey, the 7.5 month old, has his own version of Dane Paw. While he does occasionaly use the standard frontal attack, he MUCH prefers to walk closely behind you and paw the back of your feet. If you are wearing flip flops or slip-ons of any kind.... WATCH OUT! He will not even graze the back of your foot or leg but, he will step on the back of your shoe with every step you take. After falling down about a half dozen times, I learned.

Side note, I've had to retire my blue fuzzy slippers. I couldn't make it from one end of the house to the other while wearing them. Joey thought they were babies and immediately attacked! He can de-stuff a baby is seconds. Poor guy just didnlt realize that the stuff in those babies was mommys feet!

cricket36580

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 06:44:04 am »
OMG!!!!  Bella steps on you too!  Not as bad any more, thankfully.  When she was younger I thought it was a spatial deficiency or something because she was growing so fast. 

The fuzzy slippers are TOO FUNNY...!!!  ROFL  I have a visual!!!! ;D

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 07:53:38 am »
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one this happens to!  I've actually gone to work with a black eye from a giant paw.  She has a bad habit of "crawling" up beside mom to snuggle.  Unfortunately she doesn't always watch where the paws go.

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 08:36:27 am »
Im also picturing the fuzzy slippers and LMAO!
Kayzer also does the paw thing but mostly stepping on my heals from behind. He always has to be right behind me! Ugh
Also likes to get your attention by pawing from the front but its usually if he thinks there are treats involved!
Carole

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 01:37:17 pm »
I am so relieved to know other dogs do this, too.  If you decide to stop petting him, he'll reach up with a paw and get your arm back on his head.

I'm also feeling very grateful that Einstein sleeps in every morning!  He's never gotten up before me.  He rarely approaches me when I'm in bed.

He has started sitting on my feet when we're standing outside (like on a walk, stopping to chat with a neighbor).  He'll spread out on the ground, making sure he covers my feet -- like he's making sure I don't go anywhere without him, or maybe he's protecting me, I don't know.

Sarah

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 09:24:06 pm »
Kali likes to smack you to get your attention too....ohh I've had bruises and scratch marks galore.  She especially does it when talking back doesn't work.  She smacks Lacey whenever she wants to play too.  She also smacks your hand away when you have the dreaded brush or ear cleaner and does the bear rug attack.
   At least she grew out of hanging off pant legs and shoe laces while you're walking (it took til she was 50 lbs to get her to stop that one ::))  So my jeans can finally stop getting the worn holey look.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 09:38:15 pm »
Both of my danes do this. Moose is only 12 weeks old but he comes running at you with his paws out. Smacks you with both of them playing. Brody will stand on her hind legs and "box" swinging both front paws at you. She is normally very good about not hitting unless you get her playing. I always try to remind them that they are purebred great danes and not boxers. They don't seem to care though
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline Graciegurl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 09:28:32 pm »
Gracie does this sometimes but I try to put a stop to it.  I grew up with a dane who pawed my face when I was 5. Had to get stitches in my mouth. Dane paws are not the lightest of things to in the mouth!