Author Topic: Ugh! The SPCA.....  (Read 6374 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Ugh! The SPCA.....
« on: March 20, 2006, 06:46:55 pm »
Ok, so I don't claim to know everything in the world and realize that every organization has its flaws but the SPCA has thoroughly got me p.o.'d! I call them and ask them a theoretical question and severely injured dogs and if they pick they up to transport them to a hospital. The rude lady informed me that they don't do that and if they pick up my dog it will be becasue he is dead and will be disposed of or is on his way to being killed. Who are these people?? Aren't they the ones who run around shouting "spay and neuter?" Aren't they ones who want you to adopt an animal? Aren't they the ones who even have special/free adoptions. Grrr......I'm angry and wish they would actually help!  >:(
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Ugh! The SPCA.....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 06:53:30 pm »
Wow!...Did you get the name of the woman who "helped" you? >:( I would call back & ask the head of the SPCA there & ask if that is how they their organization portrayed...It makes me really sad to think that the people who our supposed to be on our side would be so cold. :'(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 10:17:42 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 07:04:02 pm »
It might be that the person misread/misunderstood what you were asking or it might just be that really is their normal policy.  I think you'd be surprised that there is a HUGE element within the SPCA that is anti-pet.  Dogs, cats, whatever should not be OWNED by anyone.  They should be set free to live as nature intended.  Personally, I can't see how nature is not cruel.  That is mostly the ALF branch but it is part of the SPCA for sure, just not the part they normally like to have publicized. 
Daphne

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 07:35:16 pm »
I wonder if maybe she misunderstood you as well.  Perhaps she thought it was not hypothetical and she thought for real that you wanted them to come pick up your injured animal and take it to the hospital?  That is the only logical thing I can think of.

Like she thought it was one of those stories that start......... ..I have this friend........ when really it is you.  You maybe told her hypothetical, but maybe she thought it wasn't really hypothetical, and you were just saying that. 

If not, then that lady was totally rude and it was totally uncalled for.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 08:08:14 pm »
No the lady didn't misunderstand me. I was clear and she was too. No help for doggies who need an ambulance that need to be  kept alive. She is a one way ticket to death.  >:(
Hugs,
Jaime

cricket36580

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 09:23:48 pm »
Hmmm.  That's kinda odd.  When I worked at the emergency clinic in Montgomery, our local SPCA had an ambulance that we used often.  And they would come pick up your animal and transport to the neartest vet in an emergency.  you were charged for it but it was available most of the time.  There was only one unit for the city though which meant more than once I've transported critters in an o2 cage with the o2 tank strapped to the top or hanging out the window. 

Not to "leap" to her defence but...They really do get loads of wackos every day.  She may have been having a really bad day or thought you were another nut job.  Call back and ask if the city has an animal ambulance service available.  If not, then ask if they know of any vets that do.  Expaine to her that you are new to the area and someone told you that they did have one available and you wanted to check it out.  If she's still a freak then report her tail to her boss in writing.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 09:36:11 pm »
Thank you so much Cricket! I will call again tomorrow and ask again. All I really do want to know is if there is some sort of animal ambulance service or something. I'll let you know what I find out.
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline Bosmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 11:15:04 am »
I second the gripe....

The day we went in and found our beloved Bo, we passed 2 mangy dogs about 2 blocks away from the SPCA.  They were just roaming along the sideway, but they were in rough shape (thin, mangy, matted).  Looked like they'd been out and alone a while.  Anyway, as soon as we went in, I told an "officer" what I'd seen and where I'd seen the dogs.  She said she really didn't have time to go picking up stray dogs.

>:( DO WHAT???

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 12:05:02 pm »
I won't have anything to do with the spca here.  I won't donate, I won't adopt, I won''t even look at them as i walk by.  Almost every single person I've dealt with over there is rude.  Once I even got a lecture about how to raise my child by someone grooming a dog!  I've seen behind the scenes too and it's not pretty.  This was a few years back but it was enough to convince me never to go again.  I can't believe I wanted a job there, but that was before I knew so much about them.  nasty, rude people.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 01:49:08 pm »
Sounds like the RSPCA here in England too. I wouldn't cross to street to let Flynn cock his leg on one of their inspectors if they were on fire!

I have never dealt with such rude, arrogant, ignorant people in my life. I've only contacted them several times about stray animals I've found and tried to help rather than just ignore and allow to suffer and the abuse I've got off the idiots on the other end of the phone has been appalling: Stray kitten which had been mauled by a terrier - "It's the weekend and it better bloody well have a broken back!" Dog running about loose on the road which I'd picked up and had diahorrea - "It might have parvo so I'm not picking it up in my van as I'd have to disinfect it" Dog run over and dying of shock in my front garden (bearing in mind I can't drive or I'd have taken it to a vet) - "Call the police" Dog died 5 hours later when a vet finally was sent out by our local dog warden. Tried to prosecute a good friend for animal cruelty when he sold a puppy to somebody who claimed it was in the terrible state the owner let it get in. Spend thousands of pounds on legal wrangling and ended up dropping the case before it got to court. Then they have collectors knocking on your door trying to bully you into giving them money every month - and how much do they get paid as they certainly aren't volunteers!

I hope I never need them as I know they'll let me down - they'll be too busy trying to get angling banned or something other politically motivated nonsense not remotely connected with helping animals in real need.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 04:02:22 pm »
The problem I've found with "the SPCA" is that they're entirely local organizations, with very little sort of 'umbrella' over them.  From what I can tell, local SPCA's are sort of like fast food franchises, but with a lot more variation in quality!

Some SPCAs are very, very good, and do a lot of really important work.  Some of them are run by PETA/ALF clones, and are anti-pet and anti-people, and don't do much but run around begging for money and trying to spay/neuter everything they get their hands on, right down to wild chipmunks.  Some of them are scams, and not any better than that "b-dealer" place in the Dealing Dogs documentary that's running on HBO this month.

I'm sorry yours seems to be filled with...lets call them HooHaws, to be polite.   >:(

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

cricket36580

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 06:03:39 am »
So, did you call? 

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 06:17:49 am »
Where I live, we have the local animal control. I have rescued 2 dogs from them but they are totally rude. I have been in there dozens of times and every time they are less than nice. It seems as though they could care less if the dogs get adopted or not. I understand they have to deal with a lot of "not too great people" but they should be greatful for the people who are trying to do some good. It seems that everyone seems to have the same issues with them.

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 07:42:39 pm »
Wow...I'm sorry you have had such bad experiences with your SPCAs.  We have a wonderful one here in the city that I'm in.  I rescued my first guy, Rufus, there in 1988.  And it was also there that I found my current love, Barkley.  They had kept him for quite a number of weeks, and for that I'm eternally grateful. 

We also have some really great other shelters in the area, but I have to say that I'm a big supporter of our local SPCA.  They don't have an ambulance though ... what a great idea that is!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.