Author Topic: Kitten Had His Op  (Read 7671 times)

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
Kitten Had His Op
« on: March 23, 2006, 03:15:04 pm »
Well it is a week now since our little (ok not so little :D) Kitten went in for his operation.

Our vet had diagnoised OCD in his elbow joints, but wanted to refer him some where else as he didn't have the experience. Then he refused to claim the money for the op direct from the insurance company, he wanted us to pay for it and then claim it back :-X. Since we had already spent £300 and were waiting for it back we didn't feel we could pay out anymore at that time. So to cut a long story short ;) we went to a veterinary hospital a few miles away. So now we have a new vet as our old one said he didn't want us back!!!

Anyway, the new vet looked at the x-rays and said Kitten had OCD in both elbows, but worse in the right. But he also said he had elbow dysplacia in the right leg as well. So he said he would clean out the elbow joints, and then as the dysplasia was caused by one of the bones in his front leg growing quicker than the other, he would break the shorter bone :o. Apparently when the broken bone then mends it is the same length as the other one.

He also said you can see on the x-rays, lines in the bones where they are growing, which is pano!!! Can one dog have anymore problems with his bones? ::)

So our 70kg, 11 month old gorgeous little Newfie boy is hobbling round with a broken leg. He is having to be kept away from his nutter of a sister, so he is in the living room with his doting mummy and daddy, and she and the old girl are having to stay in the dining room. They have to have their meals at different times, and they can't go in the garden at the same time either...It's a nightmare, but if he can live a normal life one of these days it will be worth it :).

We are keeping him a crate as much as possible but we have to let him out sometimes as we feel it is cruel to leave him in there all the time. His daddy has been sleeping in the living room with him since his op... That is fine by me as they both snore like nothing you have ever heard!

I can't believe all this has happened when we always go to breeders who screen their dogs for health problems. I suppose it is just one of them things, we certainly wouldn't want to swap our little boy, he is so lovely.

The breeder we had our first two Newfies off says she puts her pups onto adult food when they are 4 months old to stop them growing too fast. The vet thinks this is the cause of Kitten's problems, so we will do the same with our next pup. But we thought with them being on puppy large breed they would be fine. His sister is as fit as an ox!

Kitten has to go back to the vets next Tuesday for a check up and to have his stitches out, hopefully the vet will be happy with the way things are going :)... I will let you know ;)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Kitten Had His Op
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 03:21:05 pm »
Wow!!  You've really been through it!  I'm sorry!  I do think sometimes, though, bad stuff just happens with our big guys and it's no ones fault.  (Except maybe that mean vet!! :()  If there is any light in the tunnel with Kitten, it's that somehow the bond is even closer after a pup has had such a major surgery and then recovery.  After my first Newf Otis, had hip replacement surgery, we moved as one unit.  It truly was amazing!  He was my very best pal!!!

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 03:21:15 pm »
I have to ask...... why the name kitten ?

Hope all goes great with him.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 03:22:17 pm »
They thought Kali may have an issue with her bones not growing evenly but it turned out to be poor conformation on her.  Luckily we escaped that surgery.  Poor Kitten, Kali sends slobbers.  I hope he gets better quickly so he can play with his sister again.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 03:37:43 pm »
Poor little big guy! Sounds like he's been through the ringer and been drip dried lately! And it sounds like you're better off without that old vet!!

Hope he's feeling better soon!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 03:38:49 pm »
Dufus he was named Kitten by my husband... He wanted to call him fish, yes he is a very odd man!!! I refused point blank to have a dog called fish, so when he said Kitten as he was a soft little thing and he would be the first Kitten to get to Crufts dog show I just agreed ::)

I know what you mean about the bond being stronger when you have to go through something like this. Kitten was always going to be daddy's boy as he always wanted a dog, and I prefer bitches. But he is such a laid back boy I adore him, and I want to smother him with kisses and cuddles all the time ;D. He is the type of Newf that has to be with you all the time anyway, so I wonder what he is going to be like once he is back on his feet :)

He really is the nicest dog you could ever meet, it is such a shame that he has had to go through all this :-\

Shelley
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 03:46:06 pm »
I am glad that the name was chosen for a reason like that.  Day-z is not Daisy as I did not want people to think i had named her after a flower - although i guess i kind of did.  She is hardly a gangsta rap star - ah Crufts, makes me homesick for the old country.

Very cool name and really hope he is better soon.

Dobe SDs

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 04:59:21 pm »
Get well soon Kitten!  Best Wishes from Rebecca & the Gang

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 05:15:40 pm »
Poor Kitten - get well soon, baby. No playing for a while, but it will be worth it in the end.  ;)

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 05:37:38 pm »
I hope Kitten is feeling better soon. I can relate to all the surgery issues. My 10 month old Rottie Tealk has had elbow surgery and will need hip surgery in 3 weeks due to hip dysplasia.
You just feel so bad for them to have to go through all this and they are just babies.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 05:52:17 pm »
Poor Kitten  :-\

Zoey and I will cross our fingers and paws for a speedy recovery
RIP former BPO

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 07:38:15 pm »
Thanks everyone. Don't you just feel so mean making them lie down and rest when all they want to do is bounce about ::). I just hope the surgery is sucessful.
Shelley
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 08:27:43 pm »
I hope he feels better soon! I guess I don't pay enough attention, because I didn't realize you were talking about a dog at first. Then I got to the "70 kg at 11 months part" and thought, wait, we're talking about... huh?

It's been a long day.

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 02:36:08 pm »
 :D The poor nurse got confused at the vets too, because when Kitten had his op we also took Crunchie our cat in to be seen! So the nurse couldn't work out what was going on when hubby said that Kitten's op was being claimed direct from the insurance, but we were paying for the cat ;D
Shelley
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 06:25:23 pm »
It is, your right, and hopefully our babies will make a full recovery because of it :)
Shelley
RIP my darling Bronte