Author Topic: Young Danes and Running  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Young Danes and Running
« on: March 24, 2006, 08:03:52 am »
Boo will me 9 months old the end of this month and I'd like to be able to do more exercise with her besides just a walk.  I know that her bones are still growing and I believe I've heard or read somewhere that you shouldn't really "exercise" them till at least a year old.  Is this true?  Would it be a bad idea to take her on a run with me?  I'm trying to get my fat butt in shape for summer and  would like her to come along.  Any ideas?

GR8DAME

Re: Young Danes and Running
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 08:22:01 am »
One of the threads lately got a little sidetracked into exercise for young dogs, and I think the consensus was not more than 1 minutes per week of age , up to one hour/1 year old. But that was just walking, not running. Hopefully whoever posted that will catch this and correct me if my memory is faulty.
Personally I will not run my dogs until they are over a  year, other than what little trotting they do for heeling work in training class and home workouts. Everything I have read stressed keeping strain off of those developing joints.
Stella

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 08:27:18 am »
I think it would depend a great deal on how you run.  If you run like me, there absolutely shouldn't be a problem...but then if you catch me running ANYWHERE you had better come too cause it means there is something really serious behind me!!!    ;D  If you're a serious runner, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.  Also, it depends on the terrain and the length of the run.  But either way, don't just start running.  Boo needs to work into it a little at a time or the stress will be WAY more than is good for him.  If he's not been allowed to do anything more than walk, ever, then not only does he not have the muscle, he doesn't have the cartilidge developement neccessary for ANY hard activity.

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 08:29:04 am »
One of the threads lately got a little sidetracked into exercise for young dogs, and I think the consensus was not more than 1 minutes per week of age , up to one hour/1 year old. But that was just walking, not running. Hopefully whoever posted that will catch this and correct me if my memory is faulty.
Personally I will not run my dogs until they are over a  year, other than what little trotting they do for heeling work in training class and home workouts. Everything I have read stressed keeping strain off of those developing joints.
Stella

Thanks Stella.  I guess she's gonna be left out of it till the end of June then.  I tried working out at home but every time I tried to do crunches, she'd stand over me, whine and try and lick my face.  Apparently she likes her mom fat and happy. ;D

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 04:55:03 am »
IMO, no giant breed dog should be run on hard pavement, I would stick to dirt paths or grass.  I definitely would not run them as forced exercise until after 2 years, that's when bone growth is pretty much finished.

It's just not worth the wear and tear on the joints and bones to lose patience and do it too early.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 07:58:56 pm »
This one?

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,8603.msg107394.html#msg107394

Stella
Daphne

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 08:32:57 pm »
If that wasn't it, that is close enough, and great information. Thanks,longshadowfarms!
Stella

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 08:31:31 am »
i second  cricket when it was said if you catch me running you'd best be going with me, BUT on another note, i know if i'm running as fast as i can (i'm 5'2) my dane puppy and akita are still walking...  i guess that's just proof that i'm a really slow runner...  we stick to walking, it's less embarrassing than to be seen running full speed with my dogs walking at a leisurely pace.   :-[  just as a side note, though, my dane puppy is already putting his nose up in the air, and it's almost shoulder high on me, same with axle...
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]