Author Topic: Why are all my neighbors big stupid idiots?  (Read 13472 times)

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Why are all my neighbors big stupid idiots?
« on: March 24, 2006, 10:07:55 am »
Ok, I need to vent. I hate my neighbors. Tell me if I'm over-reacting. I am overtired and cranky, but I think my concerns are legit.

Sadie and I live in a townhouse that is part of a mini community of 35 houses. We sort of all share a "yard" and a trail and a small park. The yard isn't fenced but there's a really nice trail to walk your dog. Problem is, all my neighbors who have dogs are IDIOTS. Sadie got bitten yesterday by one neighbors chi mix. I love those little guys (please don't be offended Smudge ;)), but this one is the devil and his owner doesn't control him. This was not a playbite, Sadie was fine thankfully, but he nipped her right on the nose and was snarling his head off. And the guy just laughed like it wasn't a big deal that his psycho OFFLEASH dog bit my dog who was behaving herself on leash because Sadie is so big. GRRRRR! I don't want my sweet little girl to freak out about little dogs now because she had a bad experience with this one!

THEN, another neighbor has a beautiful husky, Sadie loves him and they play all the time. The problem is, his owner doesn't want to walk him like the rest of us so she ties him to her porch all the time. I don't necessarily have a problem with people who have outside dogs, but you sort of need your own yard for that. All I can picture is him tripping the wrong way down those stairs and strangling himself or getting his legs twisted up in the rope. This morning when I took Sadie out, he'd gotten the tie out twisted and wrapped around the stairs such that he couldn't move at all and was basically sitting in his own "potty" because he couldn't go anywhere. Poor little guy. So we get him untangled and he's going nuts like "Oh My God - someone paying attention to me!!!" Sadie's foot gets caught in his tie out somehow and she starts freaking out, which makes him freak out more and that makes her freak out more and so on and so forth. Sadie was fine when I finally got them untangled but I was fuming. I know it's my own fault for going over there, but I couldn't just leave him all tangled up! He couldn't move! So finally hearing all the commotion his owner pokes her head out the door. I'm not one to say anything in situations like this so I just let her know that the tie out had gotten tangled and he was stuck. She seemed unconcerned. THEN she starts talking to me about how Sadie and her dog should have puppies. I said no, quite firmly and she starts asking me why I wouldn't want my dog to have puppies and how she definitely plans on letting her dog breed. I tried to explain about health checks and all of that but it was just going right over her head. At this point, I decided I needed to walk away because I wasn't getting anywhere and I was rapidly approaching the point where I was going to start punching her in the face repeatedly.

MAybe I'm over reacting? I just think it stinks that I do the right, responsible thing for my dog and my neighbors think they don't need to do the same things. Sadie is the only dog in our area that is ALWAYS on leash. I am the only one who ever cleans up after my dog. She's never EVER outside unsupervised. I don't understand why these people think it's ok to not follow rules. And what really makes me angry is that our Homeowners Association gave me a hard time about having Sadie because she's so big, but yet they say nothing about these other dogs behaving badly and their owners being big stupid idiots. Am I over reacting?

I think it's time to move >:(
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: Why are all my neighbors big stupid idiots?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 10:18:18 am »
You are not alone.  We have some neighbors who have mini pins , never leashed or penned, and they won't bother with a fence.  They just don't care about them.  They got them to breed and make money. 

They were outside last time while we were walking Mowgli on the street, and their little dogs were all around us yapping their head off, the owners didn't even pay attention.  I told them I would not let them do that because my dog was dog-agressive.  Which he is, he is sweet otherwise, but he has issues :) He was on a short lead though, and we were walking by, or trying to. 

Our pups are always on a leash when we walk them, and always controlled. I'm sorry to sound heartless, but if either of my dogs gets in an encounter with a mini-pin, I think they are probably going to come out ahead.  And, I am not paying their vet bills etc, we're just trying to walk by in the street.

Your situation is probably like ours, just stupid owners who really have no business owning a fern, much less a dog, because they could care less about their well being.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 10:37:28 am »
Vent away!...I totally hear you & no, you're not overreacting!...A couple of weeks ago I had to hold my 300 lbs. of dog back from killing a 15 lb. or so beagle type dog who ran across the street to confront us while my daughter & I were walking our dogs...The owner took her sweet time getting across the street & then tried to drag her dog back by the collar rather than pick him up...I finally had to not so nicely (yes, there was screaming & profanity on my part ;D) tell her to pick her dog up before my dogs killed it...I got a dirty look as if we were in the wrong....Idiot s!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 10:38:58 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 11:09:53 am »
Two words...pepper spray.  We have the same issues in our neighborhood.  NO ONE ties their pooches...from weinerdogs and poodles to just this past weekend two big labs were on our porch and last summer there was a rotti running loose.  I just don't understand it either.  When my steps were out walking around the neighborhood a german shepherd went after them and they had pepper spray.  It also went for my husband when he was riding his bike.  I don't care if they weigh 1.5# or 150#, I am carrying pepper spray and will use it if one of the ankle biters comes up to me all nasty.  Just let the owner come out all pi55y... 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 11:49:43 am »
Go right ahead and vent. Those kinds of neighbors are all across the country.  I don't think you can get away from them no matter where you live.  It is unfortunate that apparantly 90% of pet owners are totally clueless and downright morons when it comes to pet ownership.

Your case is a bit worse since you all share a commen area, but believe me, moving will only change the scenery, not the neighbors.  You just have to learn to disassociate yourselves with them. And if one of their anklebiters went after one of my dogs, you better believe it will get punted into the next county. Anyone's larger dog tries that, and I will take them out. I just don't have the patience for that kind of behavior like I used to.

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 12:54:44 pm »
I just had a similar situation in which an unleashed jack russell decided to take on Lucas while we were walking...and of course Luke snarled(he sounds VERY mean, but doesn't bite) and sat him. The owner ran up to us and sprayed Luke...furious ly telling me this is only the second time she's ever had to use it(the first time NINE big dogs attacked her poor little guy...wonder why  ::)).
So it was all Lucas' fault now! And of course I should have told her off but I apologized.... I'm still fuming about that one.  >:(
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 12:59:03 pm »
We just got new neighbors (YA!) and I took the Newfers next door to meet them (on THEIR territory....H A!) My dogs were angels and their springer spaniels snarled and were dreadful.  She came over yesterday and wanted to try to get her dogs to be as good as mine!  She kept saying how sweet they are and how good.  Oh, if only she knew a truly devious mind!! ;) ;) ;)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 01:18:09 pm »
I know this sounds kinda bad, but I have a saying that my brother and I coined, after pondering life in American one day,"I hate People".  Now don't get me wrong, I don't really feel that way about everybody, I actually have a lot of friends, acquaintences and family that I adore.  But the more I'm in public, the more I am astounded by the level of ignorance, apathy and just pure stupidity of people.  They just don't get it, they're in their own world and it's a narrowminded, self-serving place that they are dying to share with you.  Remember in the movie Seven, when Morgan Freeman was reading John Doe's diaries?  The bit he read was about an encounter John Doe had on a bus with a man who was babbling on and on and it bothered him so much that he vomited all over the man?  I feel like that sometimes when I encounter some of these idiots, you just can't get away from them fast enough.  The woman with the dog tied to the porch is a perfect example of a person like that.  The worst part is that she's your neighbor, you have to see her on a regular basis.  Good for you for helping the dog out though, many people would just ignore it and keep walking.  Good vent too!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 01:20:50 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 01:23:34 pm »
I just had a similar situation in which an unleashed jack russell decided to take on Lucas while we were walking...and of course Luke snarled(he sounds VERY mean, but doesn't bite) and sat him. The owner ran up to us and sprayed Luke...furious ly telling me this is only the second time she's ever had to use it(the first time NINE big dogs attacked her poor little guy...wonder why  ::)).
So it was all Lucas' fault now! And of course I should have told her off but I apologized.... I'm still fuming about that one.  >:(

OMG! Teamshredit, you are so much more of a nice person than me! The first time some idiot sprayed my dog for reacting to their unleashed dog's agression would be the last time! They certainly would not get an an apology! I might send flowers when they had the surgery to remove the spray can from the orafice that I would shove it. Maybe.
Stella

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 01:31:45 pm »
Thanks for making me feel not so much like a total whack-job guys. I felt like I might have lost my cool a little bit and maybe over-reacted. But I just feel like, if you want to be a big stupid idiot on your own time - in your own backyard, go right ahead. But when I have to share space with you and my dog has to share space with your dog, your being a big stupid idiot negatively affects my pooch and I can't have that. It really makes me mad because I know that if I didn't follow the rules to the letter (I'd be a big stupid idiot for one thing ;)) but I'd also have the Homeowners Association ALL OVER me because Sadie is a giant breed and they weren't crazy about that in the first place. I had to pay extra to register her with the association and they kind of gave me a "Big brother will be watching" speech. Yet it's fine for my neighbors to be irresponsible owners because their dogs are small? Why isn't "Big brother" watching them? I don't dislike small dogs or medium dogs, I love all dogs, what I don't love is that they don't take responsibility for their animals and MY dog is impacted by it. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that an aggressive dog - even if it weighs 10 pounds - should be kept on a lead when out in public right? Or to realize that tying a 5 month old puppy to a stairway on your porch where it could easily trip, get tangled, what have you is not a great idea? Am I wrong?

And anytime anything gets brought up, Sadie is the first one they suspect. People where I live also stink at picking up after their dogs and the last time the President of the board came to question me about it, I went out back under my porch and dragged the trash can full of poos out to show him. Doubt he'll be back over for tea anytime soon. :P

Sorry, I'm just having an "I hate people" day today. I'm better now ;)
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 01:38:01 pm »
I would serioulsy consider putting in complaints about some of your neighbors if they are not following the rules put in place, ie, picking up after their dog, dog not on leash,etc.

If you're the one complaining, they certainly can't point the finger at you.  Better yet, get these other people on film or video for proof.

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 01:42:08 pm »
I would serioulsy consider putting in complaints about some of your neighbors if they are not following the rules put in place, ie, picking up after their dog, dog not on leash,etc.

If you're the one complaining, they certainly can't point the finger at you.  Better yet, get these other people on film or video for proof.

Oooooohh. I could get Spytech ;)

I know what you're saying, I just hate to be the one throwing people under the bus, if you know what I mean. But if it goes on like this and I can't comfortably walk my dog, I will definitely say something to property management.
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006, 01:46:31 pm »

I know what you're saying, I just hate to be the one throwing people under the bus, if you know what I mean. But if it goes on like this and I can't comfortably walk my dog, I will definitely say something to property management.

You should do something it's not fair for them to not follow the rules when you have to.  And I'd of definitely booted the chi into the next county too.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 01:55:32 pm »

You should do something it's not fair for them to not follow the rules when you have to.  And I'd of definitely booted the chi into the next county too.

I agree with both of you, it's totally unfair. I'm just nervous to be that neighbor that filed all the complaints, you know? Do you guys think it would be more tasteful to go directly to them before doing anything with property management? Not that it will get me anywhere, but at least it'll give them an opportunity to smarten up before getting hit with fines, you know? I'm just thinking, I don't want my house getting egged either. It's a fine line with these things.
Dear Lord,

Shawna
Sadie the Newf

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 02:08:46 pm »

OMG! Teamshredit, you are so much more of a nice person than me! The first time some idiot sprayed my dog for reacting to their unleashed dog's agression would be the last time! They certainly would not get an an apology! I might send flowers when they had the surgery to remove the spray can from the orafice that I would shove it. Maybe.
Stella

I did actually yell at her for spraying him, then like a SUCKER, apologized for his part in it. Since these are my first dogs I'm overly careful with them around others...I'm afraid of making a mistake. I am learning quickly though, that common sense is a trait lacking in so many people.....too much TV or something.  ???
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge