Author Topic: Why are all my neighbors big stupid idiots?  (Read 13471 times)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
Re: Why are all my neighbors big stupid idiots?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2006, 02:11:35 pm »
Interesting topic which brings up another peeve (Throwing fuel on the fire  ;D

Although I have only been with my Newfie Kuma for 2 weeks…I am already getting a bit of the “Oh..its a BIG dog” syndrome which amazes me.

Because I run 25 to 30 miles per week I have been a frequent visitor of local parks and greenways for the past two years.  It has been my observation (As a dog-less outsider) that it was more often owners of small dogs who I saw totally oblivious to common courtesy.  I often encountered small dogs acting crazy, growling and barking at anything that moved.  Of course, I can't help but think if that were a big dog they would be labeled “dangerous” and out of control.   

I also noticed that despite having “poop pick-up” facilities available, I RARELY saw the owners of small dogs picking up after their pets?? And that is a fact...

Even before getting my Newfie I wondered about this.  Does someone owning a small dog think that it is less important their dogs are properly behaved or socialized.  Do they think its ‘cute” when they aggressively lunge after someone running by?  Do they think their dog’s so small that no one will notice their poop?   

I am not being sarcastic…I really I don’t get it.   ???
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2006, 02:29:09 pm »
I think people tend to baby small dogs more, than large dog owners.  We as big dog owners want to make sure the 150lb lug knows we are the alpha, we're in charge, whereas someone with a 3lb yorkie doesn't even think about it, doesn't fool with training, etc.. and you end up with a dog the size of your foot that thinks he is in charge.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 02:31:03 pm »
and you end up with a dog the size of your foot that thinks he is in charge.

;D
LOL
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2006, 02:33:06 pm »
I just had a similar situation in which an unleashed jack russell decided to take on Lucas while we were walking...and of course Luke snarled(he sounds VERY mean, but doesn't bite) and sat him. The owner ran up to us and sprayed Luke...furious ly telling me this is only the second time she's ever had to use it(the first time NINE big dogs attacked her poor little guy...wonder why  ::)).
So it was all Lucas' fault now! And of course I should have told her off but I apologized.... I'm still fuming about that one.  >:(

OMG! Teamshredit, you are so much more of a nice person than me! The first time some idiot sprayed my dog for reacting to their unleashed dog's agression would be the last time! They certainly would not get an an apology! I might send flowers when they had the surgery to remove the spray can from the orafice that I would shove it. Maybe.
Stella

I did actually yell at her for spraying him, then like a SUCKER, apologized for his part in it. Since these are my first dogs I'm overly careful with them around others...I'm afraid of making a mistake. I am learning quickly though, that common sense is a trait lacking in so many people.....too much TV or something.  ???

See and that's how I am too. I don't like confrontation at ALL! And Sadie doesn't defend herself. Not even a little. She'll defend ME (or at least try to look scary in hopes of intimidating the other party ;))She stood there with her tail wagging while this guy's dog was nipping at her. IT's not that I want her to defend herself but I don't like her getting bullied either. And the thing is that in a situation like that, if Sadie had defended herself, SHE would be the one to get labeled a vicious dog not the little one. Was Lucas ok after getting sprayed? I'm sure he was mighty upset!!
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

GR8DAME

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 02:35:35 pm »
I would rather be labeled as vicious and unpredictable than my dogs. I have a very good lawyer (boss) and they can't put me to sleep.
Stella

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2006, 02:44:27 pm »
I would rather be labeled as vicious and unpredictable than my dogs. I have a very good lawyer (boss) and they can't put me to sleep.
Stella

You make a good point ;)

Besides it might be fun if the neighbors are scared of me. Next time I see little kujo and his dad, I'm gonna start snarling. What will they say about me then I wonder....
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 02:54:57 pm »
I just had a similar situation in which an unleashed jack russell decided to take on Lucas while we were walking...and of course Luke snarled(he sounds VERY mean, but doesn't bite) and sat him. The owner ran up to us and sprayed Luke...furious ly telling me this is only the second time she's ever had to use it(the first time NINE big dogs attacked her poor little guy...wonder why  ::)).
So it was all Lucas' fault now! And of course I should have told her off but I apologized.... I'm still fuming about that one.  >:(

OMG! Teamshredit, you are so much more of a nice person than me! The first time some idiot sprayed my dog for reacting to their unleashed dog's agression would be the last time! They certainly would not get an an apology! I might send flowers when they had the surgery to remove the spray can from the orafice that I would shove it. Maybe.
Stella

I did actually yell at her for spraying him, then like a SUCKER, apologized for his part in it. Since these are my first dogs I'm overly careful with them around others...I'm afraid of making a mistake. I am learning quickly though, that common sense is a trait lacking in so many people.....too much TV or something.  ???

See and that's how I am too. I don't like confrontation at ALL! And Sadie doesn't defend herself. Not even a little. She'll defend ME (or at least try to look scary in hopes of intimidating the other party ;))She stood there with her tail wagging while this guy's dog was nipping at her. IT's not that I want her to defend herself but I don't like her getting bullied either. And the thing is that in a situation like that, if Sadie had defended herself, SHE would be the one to get labeled a vicious dog not the little one. Was Lucas ok after getting sprayed? I'm sure he was mighty upset!!

The spray never phased him(heh heh)....he's a tough guy  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 03:39:00 pm by teamshredit »
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 07:19:01 pm »
I think the new england newf pack should come back her up!!!  I'd like to see one off those little twerps try to mess with the bigs boys and girl!!!  You should look the little dog in the eye and growl...assert your dominance if the owners won't.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 07:39:46 pm »
Stella
Stella, I do believe we must be long lost sisters. ;D

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2006, 10:14:48 pm »
You go Girl!
When Tulsa is not hunting squirrels, she has her eye on the "Lap Rats".
She keeps them inline.
I was told by a friend, that there was a woman who came to the park with her trio of Pomeranions, undisciplined, and uncontrollable, who would NEVER come back because Tulsa was viscious! All she did was knock them down and tell them to "Shut UP!"
People Are Strange!
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 09:10:01 am »
Stella
Stella, I do believe we must be long lost sisters. ;D

Me, too!  (Bosses are lawyers, that is)

Regarding people who let their yappy little dogs run around without leashes:  I figure one of these days one of my neighbor's dachsunds is going to get run over or beaten to death because Mom lets them run all over the neighborhood (and she always ACTS like she loves them so much).  Just as if her teenager were acting out, I can't say much to her, just show her by example.  She's also the type of person to come right up to my window (where Einstein sits) to make googly-talk to him.  HOW RUDE!  I don't go up to her house and peek through the windows!

Regarding tying up dogs:  I'm surprised that puppy even allowed you to get close.  Dogs I've known that were constantly restrained turned mean. 

FINAL word -- I think Cesar Millan's advice about being the pack leader works in human situations, too:
CALM ASSERTIVE PACK LEADER.  Maybe you could record a few Dog Whisperer episodes and invite them over for some "EDUCATION" -- except, if you're like me, you wouldn't want those types of people in your home and anywhere NEAR your babies!

Thanks for letting ME vent.

Sarah

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 12:24:24 am »
you are absolutly NOT over-reacting! your neighbors are idoits! if there is not a liability problem, i would suggest asking if you could walk the husky. would you get in trouble if he did something bad? i guess that is a big nevermind! i don't understand why people buy pure bred dogs, only to let them create more mutts! i newf-husky would be BUTT UGLY!

i have nothing to say about the chi. i love chi's. but chi owners drive me up the wall most of the time (sorry smudge and smudges person).

i am sure that this hasn't helped a bit, but i am bored....

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 01:25:01 am »
How I support you all in this, I have a neighbour with 2 spaniels the owner when walking alway came past our yard with the two bitches. he would stop at the gate to look at Bell & Hovis whilst the spaniels barked agressively at them. (something they do to all dogs and humans). MY 2 would bark back, then he would walk away whilst I had to go outside and reprimand my dogs for barking. What makes it worse is that although a public right of way, the man has to go out of his way to use it.

What finally stopped him doing this was Bell and Hovis who escaped from the yard whilst I was carrying in shopping from the car. They heard his two spaniels barking and disappeared at a gallop in that direction. When I got there I was told that Bell had cleared a 3 foot gate to get into the garden and at the spaniels, the spaniels had disappeared inside the house.

There could have been a lot of trouble as a result but luckily the only outcome was that he keeps his dogs away from mine and he seems to be trying to control their aggression.

There seems to be a rule in this world that it is funny for small dogs to be aggressive towards large ones but wrong for a large dog to be provoked. It has just struck me that this rule translates well into human society and world politics, but I refuse to go there.

I feel that the best solution would perhaps be a three barks and you're out law, whereby large dog owners have the right on the third agressive bark of a small dog,to apply a boot to the dogs backside and launch it into next week!! ;D

It might not be fair, reasonable or correct but by god it wouldn't half ease the stress of the encounter.

Andy Bell and Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2006, 09:32:37 am »
There is a sheltie that lives two houses down from us and she is a hall monitor.  She barks at everything and everyone.  She decided that she was big enough to come running at Cinder and Kaila when I was taking them out front to get in the truck.  The sheltie didn't make it halfway across the neighbor's yard before Cinder and Kaila took off after her.  Luckily nothing happened and the sheltie's owner thought it did her some good to be chased by two maligators.  Now she will peak around the cars in her driveway and bark but she doesn't head up towards us at all.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience