Author Topic: Proin Warning!!!!!  (Read 5784 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Proin Warning!!!!!
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:05:57 pm »
As some of you guys may remember, Lacey gradually became extremely aggressive the beginning of this year.  We've linked it to a build up of her Proin medication (off the meds and a much happier dog).  This drug is mainly used for spay incontinence.  This has made our vet question the side effects of this drug.  If you have your dog on this drug have your vet do a blood pressure check as it can cause severe hypertension which can eventually lead to nerve damage.  One severe case in our vet's practice has led to a permanent head tilt in a Saint. As of now our vet is calling in all the dogs at her practice who are on this medication for pressure checks and she'll be taking dogs off of it as necessary and most likely stop prescribing it. I'm not saying to panic if your dog is on this drug but definitely keep a close eye on them.  I'll try to get more info from my vet and update again.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Proin Warning!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 07:07:44 pm »
Wow!! Thanks for posting that info.!  It sounds like it's only used for females?  Is that right?

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:13:48 pm »
Yes it's generally for spayed females who have incontinence because of the hormone loss from a spay.  Luckily I have an awesome vet who's a firm believer into looking into stuff.  Plus she will never use stuff on animals that she wouldn't use on herself.  But Lacey was the reason she checked it out then when she researched it some more and compared the problems caused by it to Guinness she connected a few dots.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 11:22:56 pm »
Keiko was on that in the past.  Also known as PPA or phenylpropalam ine (sp?).  We were able to take her off of it after a mix up with her prescription which caused her to be off of it for a month, and she was fine, so I've just left her off of it.

I have heard before that it has been linked to aggression in some dogs. 

At this point, as long as Keiko gets out 5 or more times a day, she seems okay (fingers crossed), but since she started incontinence early (4 yrs old), she will probably have to be put back on something in the unforseeable future.

But thanks for the headsup. Alot of people don't know the side effects of many of the drugs their pets are on.  We should all learn to be more aware.

Dobe SDs

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 06:31:17 am »
can I cross-post this to another group?

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 07:49:56 am »
thanks for the information, I think my moms dog takes this so I am going to share this with her. I have heard taht some dogs get hormone shots or pills to help with the incontinence.
Kim
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 07:50:17 am by roxygirl »
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 07:58:22 am »
Feel free to cross post but maybe wait until I get the letter from my vet so people have a more vetrinary version to bring to their vets.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

Dobe SDs

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 08:00:09 am »
good idea; I'll wait.  Thanks for the heads up though!