Author Topic: Tracking with Danes?  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Karina

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Tracking with Danes?
« on: March 26, 2006, 10:51:54 am »
Do any folks out there do tracking with your Danes?  I know it's not what they were bred for and whatnot but just wondering if they still enjoyed it.  Sure they're no beagles but it's not like they are bulldogs with no nose at all! 

I am very interested in doing (informal) tracking games with my future dog and was wondering if that would work with a Dane? 

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking with Danes?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 11:43:04 am »
Well, I've never thought about it before, but they were once used to hunt boar, so they must have some tracking ability, unless they hunted by sight.

I think just about any breed can do tracking, provided they have the drive for it and won't take off on you.

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 09:41:15 pm »
Danes are sight hounds with very high prey drive.  Usually though the "hunt" has been bred out of them and they just chase it around.  I'd be afraid to put one on a boar cause they just don't know what to do with it any more....

Offline Karina

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 04:14:38 am »
Really?  They're sight hounds?  I didn't know that.  Ok, scent games aren't really going to be all that successfull are they.....  ;)

I think I'm still going to try it though.   ;D

cricket36580

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 06:46:15 am »
Give it a shot...  What could it hurt?  Let us know how it goes.  I'd be interested in seeing how it developes. I'm sure you can train them to do whatever you want them to do.

Offline jinx athena's mommy

• Gnawer
  • athena is the black one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 01:56:09 pm »
my dane athena has all these corpses of former stuffed animals with there stuffing gone scattered all over the yard and we had a huge dump of snow she spent the next afternoon 'rescuing' her stuff and digging them all out i don't know if it was by smell(they were all pretty funk that's why they were out of doors) or by memory but she had a grand old time finding them all.  my back yard looked like a field hospital for the muppets but she sure enjoyed herself

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 02:53:13 pm »
a field hospital for the muppets

LOLOL!!!  I loved that show...
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Karina

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 07:41:44 am »
Tina, we're the only Americans living in a little Brasilian farming town (with 2 little blonde girls, no less).  Believe me, we're used to stares!   :D 

And over here there are no organized tracking competitions so we couldn't get any titles even if we were stellar.  ;)  I just think it'd be fun- exactly your point, the time together!