Author Topic: Another question - male vs. female?  (Read 9888 times)

Offline Karina

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Another question - male vs. female?
« on: March 26, 2006, 11:10:17 am »
Have you noticed a difference between the male and female dane in terms of personalities?  Is one more protective than the other?  (I'm looking for the lesser protective. ;))  Naturally a great deal of personality will depend on socialization and the temperments of the parents and such but I was wondering if there was some consensus among Dane people on this one.

Thanks! 

-Karina

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Another question - male vs. female?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 11:45:04 am »
Well, since I've only owned a male dane, I can't really answer this question as to which is more protective than the other.  I think alot of it though has to do with breeding.  Their protective nature was being bred out of them, but some people have been breeding it back in, unfortunately.  >:(

I am interested in hearing what others have to say on this.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 12:08:28 pm »
I'll jump in here, because I currently have a male and a female Dane living with me. Here's my experience based on fostering 3 different males and having one female of my own: the female is much more protective than any of the males have been. The males have been protective, but honestly not nearly to the extent of our female. The males have been way more laid back and happy-go-lucky. Our female is a very dominant lady, so it might just be her personally, but actually other females I have met have had very similar temperaments.
Sammy here is just happy to be alive. But if he hears something in the night, he doesn't like that. But he doesn't let it get to him like Leeloo does. She is serious business, and definitely feels like it is her job to prtect our home. :)

Hope that helps! ;D

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 02:37:12 pm »
I agree, you will learn a lot from the parents of the dogs- pick based on that.  I don't know about male danes, this  is our first dane and she's a female, and still a puppy.  She is friendly with everyone and everything, but she is kinda protective- we can already tell.  Not so much with my husband, but with me she tends to stand in front of me and whatever else is going on, and she leans on my legs while doing it.  It's kind of like "I got you mom, don't worry!"  She's adorable.  She barks like crazy at anyone that might be walking by on the sidewalk in the front of the house ;)
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Offline Danegirl2208

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 02:54:11 pm »
males do seem to be more goofy and fun loving, my boy is protective but not in a bad way, he will bark at strangers and cars approaching the house but warmly welcomes anyone who i welcome into ouir home..i havent owned female dane so i cant tell you much

Offline Karina

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 06:47:57 pm »
Oh mercy Jack'sMom!  That's what I'm looking for!   ;D

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 07:34:25 pm »
Jack does a darn good job of protecting his sofa.

Oh he's fierce!! :D :D :D I don't have Danes but I do have 2 male Great Pyrenees & a female some kind of mix from h*ll!!!!!!!!!!!...She is supposed to be a Kuvasz mix but I think she has a whole lot of lab & GSD in her...My boys are goofy lovers & she is "I will kill any lowly beast that crosses my divine path"!!!....I do have to say she likes people though...If other females are anything like my diva killer I shall only own males after this from now on!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 08:00:08 pm »
Having had three male Newfs and one female Newf, I can agree with everyone else.  My males were and are the biggest lovers on the planet.  Everybody COULD be a best friend if given a chance  ;D.  My female was very sweet with the family, but she was pretty dog aggressive when she was on lead.  And she was FAR more protective than any of the males.  She carried my purse when we went shopping and that was her job.  She wouldn't acknowledge anybody who talked to her when she had the purse.  And if she got tired of a store, she'd get her, ah, my purse and head for the door!!!!  Now if that's not a female, I don't know what is.  And NONE of the males will carry my purse!!! :D :D :D

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 08:03:55 pm »
Having had three male Newfs and one female Newf, I can agree with everyone else.  My males were and are the biggest lovers on the planet.  Everybody COULD be a best friend if given a chance  ;D.  My female was very sweet with the family, but she was pretty dog aggressive when she was on lead.  And she was FAR more protective than any of the males.  She carried my purse when we went shopping and that was her job.  She wouldn't acknowledge anybody who talked to her when she had the purse.  And if she got tired of a store, she'd get her, ah, my purse and head for the door!!!!  Now if that's not a female, I don't know what is.  And NONE of the males will carry my purse!!! :D :D :D
Of coarse the males won't carry your purse...How unmanly that'd be! :D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 08:25:26 pm »
LOL.......that is too funny carrying your purse.

Well, if we are divulging into other breeds now, I can say that Gunther is much more protective than Keiko.  She is only protective when she needs to be, which is rare.  She barks at the door, and when traveling doesn't like anyone coming up to the car when I'm taking a nap.  But other than that, she's the most friendly of dogs.  Aloof, but if you acknowledge her, she'll come up and say hello.

Gunther, on the other hand, will bark at anything and everything.  He has gotten better with training, but he will never stop entirely, which is okay as long as he doesn't get carried away.  He'll let people pet him, but he won't go up to them unless he knows them, and sometimes won't let people come up to him at all. 

But as for true protection, if and when I would need it, I could count more on Keiko than Gunther.  He may be big and sound like he's tough, but he's mostly bluff, and if you call his bluff he will turn tail and run.  That may change as he gets older, but for now, he's a chicken in dog's clothing.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 08:31:14 pm »
Of coarse the males won't carry your purse...How unmanly that'd be!

I'm not too sure about that...would Pippin carry yours if it was pink??? ;D ;D ;D

he's a chicken in dog's clothing.

I have the visual of Gunther in chicken clothing....ve ry funny!! Big Bird comes to mind!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 08:34:14 pm by newflvr »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 08:36:55 pm »
he's a chicken in dog's clothing.

I have the visual of Gunther in chicken clothing....ve ry funny!! Big Bird comes to mind!!

Hahaha........ .....Sesame Street, eat your heart out!  ;D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 08:53:59 pm »
My boys are goofy lovers & she is "I will kill any lowly beast that crosses my divine path"!!!....I do have to say she likes people though...If other females are anything like my diva killer I shall only own males after this from now on!!!

Jack is too cute!

My experience with the Pyrs is exactly the opposite.  The males I've had were much more aggressive/guardy than the female I fostered.  Her personality was very much like a Lab.  She'd bark, but then love up to whoever came.  What little I understand of Kuvasz (can't spell and I already foolishly deleted that part) is that they do tend to be more aggressive than Pyrs so perhaps that guess on her breed isn't too far off?   
Daphne

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 10:23:03 pm »
Of coarse the males won't carry your purse...How unmanly that'd be!

I'm not too sure about that...would Pippin carry yours if it was pink??? ;D ;D ;D
Only for a Scooby Snack! :D

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 10:27:32 pm »
My boys are goofy lovers & she is "I will kill any lowly beast that crosses my divine path"!!!....I do have to say she likes people though...If other females are anything like my diva killer I shall only own males after this from now on!!!

Jack is too cute!

My experience with the Pyrs is exactly the opposite.  The males I've had were much more aggressive/guardy than the female I fostered.  Her personality was very much like a Lab.  She'd bark, but then love up to whoever came.  What little I understand of Kuvasz (can't spell and I already foolishly deleted that part) is that they do tend to be more aggressive than Pyrs so perhaps that guess on her breed isn't too far off?   
You spelled Kuvasz just right! :) But, Rosie loves all people unless they corner her or sit on her tail. :D But she will happily kill any other animal that dares cross her path. :(