Author Topic: I have a question about Dane life expectancy...  (Read 3342 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

I have a question about Dane life expectancy...
« on: March 26, 2006, 07:53:50 pm »
The Great Dane was one of the dogs I was interested in when I started researching the right breed for my family...The biggest reason I decided not to get one was I had heard the average life span of a Dane was 7 yrs....Now I am reading here at BPO about Danes that were 10, 11, & even 12 yrs. old...What is the average life span of a Dane anyway?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 07:54:25 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: I have a question about Dane life expectancy...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 08:17:37 pm »
From what I understand, and don't quote me b/c Gunther is my first dane, and still a young one at that.......... is that in the past, the life expectancy was around 8 yrs old.

I think with all the advances in nutrition and medicine and people just being more aware of what is going on that they are living much longer than in the past.  Even though alot of dog books still quote their life expectancy around 8, I've heard now it's around 10-12, sometimes even more.  At least I'm hoping so.

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 08:24:58 pm »
Besides all of the advances in nutrition and medicine, breeders are more aware and seeking longevity in their lines. I think that the standard is slowly (thank God) changing. But I decided a long time ago that I would rather have my dane for 7 short years than a mojo for 20 years. They just bring something irreplacible to me.
Stella

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 10:05:01 pm »
Just wondering-do you think the size of the dane really is a big factor in longevity? Obviously if a dane was bred solely for larger size, it might, but is it necessarily so?

Of course, I'm trying to reassure myself that Star will be around a lot longer! She's a small dane at 100lbs and 5 years old. She's a rescue so we have no idea about size of her parents/bloodlines.

No matter how many years we will have with her, every one is precious!

Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 10:18:27 pm »
Besides all of the advances in nutrition and medicine, breeders are more aware and seeking longevity in their lines. I think that the standard is slowly (thank God) changing. But I decided a long time ago that I would rather have my dane for 7 short years than a mojo for 20 years. They just bring something irreplacible to me.
Stella
A mojo was never even a consideration. ..HUMPH! ;) :D I do love your perspective Stella my friend!...From what I have further researched & heard now a Dane is not at all unlikely in my future...Howev er I know I will never be Pyrless in life...So, does anyone have a Dane & a Pyr?...How do they get along? ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 10:19:18 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 08:44:27 am »
Kiah loves Danes! She always plays with them at the dog park. The danes love to jump on her which causes her to roll over then they step on her. I'm not sure if it's just Kiah rolling herself to be submissive. It does look like it hurts tho. Some times we have to keep her apart from the danes when they get too rough together. Danes do have a different style of play. I do say go for it! I'm sure your pyrs will love them! Kitana likes playing with the danes too.

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 08:52:03 am »
Oh, yeah April. My danes are the quintissential couch potatoes, but when they play, watch out. They play hard and rough. It is not unusual for the house to shake and they have torn every blade of grass fron certain areas of my back yard. That being said, Merlin started playing with Strider when Stri was 5 weeks old, and never, ever has Merlin ever made Stri squeal or cry out in pain.
Stella