Author Topic: Talk about schizoid neighbors  (Read 12352 times)

Offline redbreast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Talk about schizoid neighbors
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:04:47 am »
Let me set the scene... 5 years ago we moved into a semi rural neighborhood.  We wanted privacy but could not afford any acerage so we picked a house on a small street with only 3 houses on it.  We pretty much stay to ourselves and live and let live.  And two years later the neighbors from h*ll moved right next door.  I have ignored these people and their ignorance for pretty much 3 years until Saturday.  My friend brought her dog over and we let the dogs off leash to play.  Well they went into the neighbors yard and the woman came out and told us to get the dogs off of her property.  I said OK and rolled my eyes.  Well appearently my voice tone was not to her liking and she started going off on me.  I pretty much told her to F-off and tried to get the dogs back in the house.  I obviously was not moving fast enough for her and she proceeded to kick one of my dogs.  To make long story short I got about two inches from her face and told her if she lifts a foot to my dog again my baseball bat and her face would be having a meeting and few other choice words.  After we got the dogs in the house I did get a little immature and told her to take her fat #$Q back in the house.  She said her $%@ in no fatter than mine (it soooo is,  I'm about a size 9 and she is about a 14, not that I have an issue with anyones weight but you mess with me and my dogs I will throw anything in your face I can)  I then had to remind her I've seen her in a bikini and it wasn't pretty.  Any way now I cannot let my dogs off leash and I have to worry everytime one of the kids opens a door that they may let a dog out.  A fence is not an option. Anyone have any suggestions for a run?  And before anyone says I should have clocked her which I very much wanted to, I work in healthcare and an assult charge would put my job in jepordy.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:22:51 am by jabear »

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Talk about schizoid neighbors
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 08:03:47 am »
If you don't want to spend alot just fence an area off with farm fencing.

Not be take your neighbors side in this but as you stated you are not friends with them I would have told you to keep your dogs off my property also. However I would not have kicked them for not returning to you by recall I would have returned them to you by their collars.
This is why I hate fence less communities so much!

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:06:16 am »
Or how about an invisible fence system ? We just put one in recently and it's nice to have !
As far as your neighbor goes , if she'd have kicked my dog I don't know what I would have done ! The gloves would've been off ,that's for sure !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 08:20:30 am »
I have a neighbor who just lets their dog out.  The dog mostly stays in it's own yard but about once a week will come over into my yard and sniff my dogs through the fence.  My dogs go crazy and that scares the dog so then the dog will not move.  It is a pain especially since I am working with my dogs on not barking at everything.

I would never kick this dog unless it was threatening me or my dogs.  But I am also not about to go grab a scared dog and drag it home.  I just get my dogs back in the house and it goes home.  i don't know my neighbors so I haven't said anything about it.  when it gets warmer I plan to introduce the dogs outside my property so maybe they will eventually be friends.

Please try to have a good relationship or at least civil with your neighbor.  That is very important for many reasons.  Life is terrible when you don't get along.  Think about if something happened while you aren't home, who is going to save your dogs. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline redbreast

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 08:47:40 am »
First let me clarify - I was not letting the dogs play in their yard.  I was attempting to get them out as soon as they went into her yard.  My dogs are hardly ever off leash and I respect her not wanting the dogs in her yard.  And if my house was on fire they would not save my dogs as a matter of fact I'm not sure she would even call 911.  I am a very easy person to get along with and this women going off was not even about the dogs they just gave her a excuse.  We had another Collie who disppeared over a year ago and I think they had something to with it.  Ollie disappeared right after someone turned them in to the Humane Society for neglecting their dog.  I believe they think I called.  And the husband has made comments about shooting dogs when they don't work out for him.

Offline fundamental

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 04:10:20 am »

keep your dog in your own yard and out of your neighbors. it is quite simple.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:24:25 am by jabear »

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 05:14:35 am »
My sister's dogs do stay in their yard because they are tied out 99.9 percent of the time to go potty...otherw ise they are house dogs...Chopper comes back when called & is trained to stay with my sister & her family while walking to the car, etc...He is good about this...Honey is being trained to do the like but they got her fairly recently & she is still in training...Tha t is the dog that was kicked...The woman that kicked Honey is a real bit**!!...That family has gone through 4 dogs in the short time they lived there & with the exception of the 1st dog who THEY let run & was never confined the others have lived tied way out back in their yard in an open kennel...B.t.w ., the 1st dog bit my sister's son, my kids, & other neighbor kids after the idiot neighbors forwarned everyone in the neighborhood it would do so but they refused to confine it...We are pretty sure they shot the dog because that is what he said he would do...Dog problems & negleect of the dogs on their part is only part of it...She also tried to run my sister's dog over infront of my sister's house among other crazy things...Fenci ng is not an option because the my sister's yard is so uneven & odd shaped...To level it is not really feasible...Whe n Honey went into the neighbors yard my sister went to grab her immediatly...S he doesn't let her dogs play outside of the yard on the rare occurance they would be off leash...I would like to know the perfect dog & owner whos dog always goes where they want it to every single time...Who's dog has never, even in training, stepped outside of it's bounderies...I'd like to shake your hand because that is simply amazing!!!...I mean would you kick this dog?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:26:19 am by jabear »

Offline fundamental

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 07:15:47 am »
Believe me, there is a special place in h*ll for this woman...I mean would you kick this dog?

i wouldn't kick an animal for any reason, but i understand the frustration the neighbor feels with having their space violated; and much like cigarette smokers, dog owners have this amazing ability to not realize they are infringing on the rights of others when they allow their dogs to run free.

keep your pets out of your neighbor's yard and there won't be a problem.

while you're at it, make them quit barking. too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:26:49 am by jabear »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 07:27:49 am »
i wouldn't kick an animal for any reason, but i understand the frustration the neighbor feels with having their space violated; and much like cigarette smokers, dog owners have this amazing ability to not realize they are infringing on the rights of others when they allow their dogs to run free.

From what I understand, they weren't allowing their dogs to run free.  There is a difference b/t letting them off leash occasionially, and letting them run loose around the neighborhood.

And I'm not sure where the barking comment comes from.  I didn't see anywhere the dogs were barking or anyone had a problem with barking dogs.   ???

Of course one should keep dogs in their own yard.  But when an owner immediately acts to retrieve a wandering dog, they should at least be offered the commen courtesy to do so instead of having their dog attacked in the process.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 07:32:13 am »
Hi,

Difference of opinions looks to be the story here. :-\ Then the need to defend differences of opinion. Mistakes made,  ??? yes, but no one but the Punter seems to have forthought their actions so drop it at that. Seems like the sensible end to this thread.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 07:34:55 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 07:51:56 am »
My sister's dogs do stay in their yard because they are tied out 99.9 percent of the time to go potty...otherw ise they are house dogs...I mean would you kick this dog?

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my post...My sister is a responsible dog owner...This has nothing to do with the neighbor feeling her space was violated...The point at hand is that the dog was kicked for no good reason as my sister was going to retrieve her dog...Honey had been in her yard for just a moment, my sister was with her, & was calling her back when the lady came out...Why is this so confusing?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:30:59 am by jabear »

Offline fundamental

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 07:56:57 am »
uh, it isn't confusing whatsoever. if the dog hadn't been in her yard, it wouldn't have been kicked. kicking the dog was unnecessary, and i personally would never harm any animal, but the fact remains that the dog was on someone else's property.

dog owners are the responsible parties when their pet goes onto someone else's property.

pets should be kept on their owners property or in areas deemed specifically for pet use.

it is really very simple.

keep your dog on your own property and be respectful of your neighbors rights.

the lady shouldn't have kicked the dog.
the dog shouldn't have been on her property.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:32:12 am by jabear »

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 07:57:28 am »
Hi,

I'm not confused I agree with you and your sister.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 07:57:37 am »
Hey hey hey everyone!

Sounds like there's some general ickyness....wh y don't we all just agree to a difference of opinion?

*hint, hint* let this thread go by the wayside.....

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 08:02:59 am »
You are absolutley correct in your last two statements...T hat is how it would always work in a perfect world...In saying that, that's why this forum called groans & gripes was added to BPO...It is a supposed to be a safe place to vent.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:32:40 am by jabear »