Author Topic: Aussie puppy question  (Read 21531 times)

Offline thevillageidjit

• Gnawer
  • Annie & Hazel :c)
    • View Profile
Aussie puppy question
« on: April 12, 2006, 04:46:12 pm »
Greetings!  I just signed up on this site and have a quick question for anyone who is familiar with Australian Shepherds... we got ours at 8 weeks of age.  She's 5 months old now and seems a bit small to me. I'm wondering if she isn't a miniature australian shepherd.  We also have a lab, so I'm not sure if maybe I'm unfairly comparing the two.  How big is the average 5 month old aussie?  At what age do they generally reach their adult size?  We love her to death, no matter what size she is... I'm just curious if she's a regular australian shepherd or a miniature - and how I would be able to tell the difference. Thanks in advance for any advice/comments!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie puppy question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 02:17:36 am »
If that's a recnt pic of your cutie I'd say she's a little bigger than a mini aussie but you're right that she seems a little small I'll look at my pics of Lacey when I get home tomorrow.  Do you know how much she weighs? She should end up around 40 lbs as a regular aussie and I think it's 15-20 lbs  for a mini aussie but I could be wrong. Aussies come in different body types Lacey is built like a tank and is 50 lbs.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline thevillageidjit

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 04:21:32 am »
She's about 20 lbs. right now... maybe she's just petite?  :D

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 06:14:46 am »
hehehehe, our Aussie was maxed out at 90 pounds. Then he lost some weight and got down to 80 pounds. This is because he always managed to eat anything and everything in the house. He wasn't always that big though. Our vet called him morbidly obese. We tried everything, and had him on weight management food. We got him mat 1 year old and I believe he was around 60 pounds then. But, I have yet to see another Aussie that was as big as he was. I think he was a "rare" catch! Lol, I'll try to attach a pic here so you can see him.
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 06:45:22 am »
Well, from your pic, I'd say she's about the size of a mini aussie now so I'm pretty sure she's just a petite aussie.

Here's a couple of pics of a mini aussie named Darla.  Keep in mind Gunther was only about 7 mo old in these pics so she may appear bigger than what she actually is.

Offline thevillageidjit

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 07:37:42 am »
Thanks for the great pictures and the replies. (Beautiful dogs, by the way!)  I guess I'll just have to be patient & let Hazel grow in her own time. hehe Our yellow lab grew fast & furious and I guess I was expecting the same thing when we got our aussie.  Thanks for your input!

Offline ed kiplinger

• Gnawer
  • Rascal & Lil' Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 05:08:24 am »
HI there,
I just joined the forum today and took note of your question as I have two 4 month old boys. They are approx 20 pounds now. Very slender with shorter hair which I'm hoping will fill out in the winter.
Here's their photo at 3 months.

Aussies Rock!

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 08:17:20 am »
my aussie boy is 5 1/2 months, and 20 pounds. she still looks very puppy-like, so i think she will probably max-out at around 35 pounds. if she isn't to be shown it doesn't really matter, but i know you are curious.

did you get her from a breeder? if so, how big are her parents? ask the breeder if they were slow to mature. all aussies are different.

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Short dogs, but big paws :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 07:09:50 am »
My wonderful boy Clancy weighed between 65 & 70 lbs, and not overwieght :) I miss him so much. He died tragically when my X let him out of the house. Clancy was looking for me when he got hit by a car. :(
Short dogs Big paws