Author Topic: Mosquitos  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Mosquitos
« on: April 14, 2006, 08:05:06 am »
Hi,

Well we went frontLine Plus for Ticks and Fleas. Because of the Advatix danger to our cat. I am still concerned about Mosquitos, we camp and winslow will Too. We want to water train and that means more Mosquito contact. Does any one use sprays or anything to help limit bites? I saw this and it looks like it may be a solution for some added insect protection.

Manna Pro Equine Fly & Mosquito Spray
http://www.horse.com/products/sku-BUA60.html
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 05:03:51 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Mosquitos
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 09:50:48 am »
With the Advantix the exposure issue is only for a day and a half and they have to stay out of water too.  Maybe you could try keeping them in seperate areas of the house for that period and you could use it.  That's what we do with Kali if we use it on her but the cat live in my bro's room so Kali stays in the rest of the house.  I've never heard of it even in the equine world but I'll ask my mom you may have to be careful because the spays can be toxic especially since dogs are more apt to lick and chew on themselves.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 12:28:11 pm »
Ok I asked my mom about the Advantix seeing how she talks to the Bayer reps frequently at the clinic.  She said you should be fine with the Advantix as long as your cats aren't licking him.  There has only been one case of poisoning due to it and it was right after it was released the warning is just as a precaution.  You only have to keep them away from each other for 12hrs if you're still concerned.  The Advantix is your best bet and protects against the most and is waterproof.  Also it repels whereas Frontline will only kill a tick after it bites meaning you'll still find ticks.  Another thing you could try is Skin so Soft made by Avon...we sometimes add it to our horses flyspray to keep some of the nastier flies away...but it may make his coat a little oily.  Also if you use Advantix make sure you place it in 4 or more spots along his back.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 05:05:54 am »
Hi,

The Frontline Plus is supposed to repel ticks too. I have a 6 month supply so I'll get the advantix after we run through the plus. I'll try the avon or off or something if need be. Thanks for the info though. On the spray mentioned above the web link says it is ok for dogs too. That is what got my interest.

Rich
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 05:06:36 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad