Author Topic: Any Mentors in the San Francisco Bay Area?  (Read 4628 times)

Offline raygoza6n510

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Copa & adidas
    • View Profile
Any Mentors in the San Francisco Bay Area?
« on: April 14, 2006, 08:56:38 pm »

Ok Copa will be 12 weeks soon and I want to find out BPO thoughts on the how too's of getting started. I really enjoy everything everyone has to say and it does indeed help.
I want to do ( here is my list):

tracking, confirmaiton, water and therapy work.

What should I do first? How should I start? Is anyone looking for an Apprentice?

Copa is pretty good he is 11 weeks and can sit, kennel and hold an item in his mouth on command. He is even getting the bring it to me part!
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Any Mentors in the San Francisco Bay Area?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 03:20:26 am »
The quickest and easiest way to get Copa trained to "work" (no real work until Copa's at least a year....got to grow and solidify bones first!! ;)) is to join the Northern Calif. Newf Club.  I think they are a pretty active group and you can get their contact info. from the web.  We are members of the Southern Calif. Club and they hold all sorts of drafting, rallying, water training and therapy courses as well as socializing with the dogs.  Everybody that I've met through the club is really involved with their dogs and is happy to help novices (which I am with a capital 'N'!!!)

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Offline raygoza6n510

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Copa & adidas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 05:39:34 am »
Good at least I'm on the right tract!

I'm in the application process now for Nor.Cal.Newf Club and planning to go to several activities that they are having this year. So for now I will just work on the basic stuff. I did not ahve any official trainning for our Rottie adidas and she is the best dog ever! She is teaching Copa well trying to teach him manners but he is one with a nose to look for anything food! Wait let me re phrase that Copa looks for anthing smelly socks, food and the things my kids leave around. :) This has helped everytime he has something in his mouth I say hold it. once  I get his attention I call him by saying Bring it. and I sa hold it then I get on of his treats and say Release.  He does it really well now. I make sure NO ONE chases after him when he puts something in his mouth! It has beem working well.

I will keep you posted and today we go to grandmas house I am going to take pictures and post them later. Thanks for you reply.
Monica
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 05:51:00 am »
WOW!!!  Sounds like you are making GREAT progress with him!!  Good work!

Chester is doing well...but he's still a full blown puppy at a year and is full of mischief.  He CAN do all the things he's supposed to, but doesn't always feel like it ::).  Cowboy, on the other hand, has been a gentleman from the first day we got him.  I think it's because someone else trained him!   :P