Author Topic: Color Change in Black Dane  (Read 2286 times)

cricket36580

Color Change in Black Dane
« on: April 17, 2006, 03:18:30 am »
Have any of you heard of a Dane changing his colors?  Foster, who is a broken mantle, blk/wht, is developing "flea bites" all over.  He's had a few wht hairs all over him but now they're actual spots.  I'm having visions of him being 10 yrs old and turning into a harlequin.  LOL  Anyway, I thought this was weird.  I know that grey horses will do that with a change of food...even dapples will get flea bitten.  I've never heard of dogs doing it though....

chaosndestruction

Re: Color Change in Black Dane
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 04:39:18 am »
hmm I don't know about dogs doing it but I know that most grey horses go "white" as they get older...Danny my friends gelding used to be a dapple gray but now he's almost totally white...

Maybe foster decided he wants to be a Harle instead of a mantle? hehe

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 09:45:20 pm »
Hi,
This happened in reverse with Chicklet, our Papillion.  She was all white except for her head and ears until she was about a year old and then these little black spots started shoing up.  She's now 2 1/2 and has mini Dalmation like spots all over her.  Her breeder told me that it's called stippling but that she had never actually seen it happen before!  I don't know if the same thing as the colors are opposite but sounds like it.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:53:11 am »
I've never heard of this happening with a dog...but everyone ALWAYS refers to my great danes as horses so maybe Foster is having identity issues. Just thinks hes a horse.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess