Author Topic: I forgot to tell you guys last week.  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
I forgot to tell you guys last week.
« on: April 17, 2006, 05:47:14 am »
As some of you know I've been having major issues with Holly's hyperactivenes s.  Everything I'd read prior to getting her had said Dobies were energetic dogs but the only thing I could find about how much exercise they needed said around an hr a day.  Imagine my surprise when I found out the hard way exactly how wrong that was.  I was expecting an energy level around a GSD or Lab, both of which I've had in the past and had no problem caring for them.  Holly however is closer to a BC (on drugs)!  She has a serious OCD with tennis balls and no matter how much exercise you give her, it's never enough. 

Anyway, I've been taking her to the park every morning for 1-1 1/2 hrs and still spending all day/night throwing the toys at home or petting her.  I  felt stressed out trying to give her enough exercise and attention and the kids were getting a little annoyed with her which only stressed me more.

Fortunately we have come to an agreement that she will stop pestering me constantly and shoving/nagging me for attention in exchange for more time at the park.  Her magic number seems to be 3.  That's right, I'm now spending 3 hours at the dog park in the morning!  ::)

I am a bit worried though,  It seems the more exercise she get's, the more she wants/needs.  I don't know how I'll deal with that once I go back to work. ???  Lucky for her I love her so much.  I am seriously understanding why her last owners dumped her for having too much energy.  lol :P

Oh! and just to show you how certifiably insane I am, I still want another Dobie (most of the time).  lol   Can you tell I love her?   ;)  ;D

ok, finished rambling.  lol
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: I forgot to tell you guys last week.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 05:54:30 am »
can you spreed that out over several times a day.
Or take her for a morning walk an afternoon walk and an evening walk.
I understand stress level but if she is that energetic then you need to work with her.

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 06:18:37 am »
Nope, she does 3 hrs in a row almost nonstop.  She still wants to play all day after that but doesn't seem to NEED it as much.  I don't mind taking her to the dogpark, even though I could use the sleep.  I find being there relaxing and an enjoyable way to start my morning as long as there aren't any pita dogs/owners there which there usually isn't because we go in the morning.  I can't go later in the day because I am a SAHM and I can't drag my two kids, one of which is a toddler, to the dog park especially since it's crowded later in the day.  It's her behavior at home that has stressed me out so much but like I said, 3 hrs there and she's MUCH better.  I just worry about when I go to work or if she starts needing more than 3 hrs there.  I don't know of any dog walkers that would be willing to wear her out for 3 hrs.  lol  Not to mention she's no likely to listen to them.  She adores me and my family, but the rest of the world can kiss off as far as she's concerned.   ::)

Oh! I did suggest to hubby that we could get 4 more Dobies and a cat, and when the dogs needed more exercise we could just let the cat out and the dogs could chase it for a while.   ;D  Hubby didn't like that idea. ;)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 09:27:01 am »
I can so relate to your story.  Cinder was like a demented Whippet on speed.  Then we got Kaila and they keep each other entertained and usually worn down.  I also take them to the park and hiking with us on the weekends.  But it has been so much nicer to have two high energy dogs.  I don't think it matters how much research you do because you don't understand the term high energy until you have lived with it.  My advice to save your sanity is to get another puppy quickly.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline MissyLou123

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:31:03 am »
Maybe if its possible you could try doggy daycare, one or two times a week, then maybe she  would get very worn out. I dont know what else to suggest, but good luck!!

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 02:20:21 pm »
 ;D I have a dalmation like that no matter what i did it did'nt seem like she was getting worn down from running in the park to walking etc.i found the only way i could really get her the exercise she need was in the water! When she did'nt get the same routine what a different dog she was.Now she is older in years and the only dog she lives with my ex who never walked her a dog walker walked her and at her age now that's fine but when she was younger she had to be run. Whe got mini bikes to try and see if that would work she could always keep up with she was just amazing! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 09:03:03 pm »
I think Einstein does best with a long walk.  Time to bond, convince him that I'm the pack leader.  When we get home, he's so much more eager to please.  We're up to 45 minutes in the evenings.  And by the time we get home, he's exhausted.  Pants for an hour!

Sarah