Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 5625 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

What do you think?
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:36:30 pm »
I took a very part time job at a fast food restaurant to get out of the house...I love my job!...I work drive through & always give out bags of courtesy cookies to the doggies that come through with their owners...Well, the other day we were out of courtesy cookies & a co-worker made the comment that she would have cookies for the cute little kids that come in if I would quit passing them out to dogs. >:( Hold up!!!!!!...The dogs that are out with people in their cars obviously are well loved or they wouldn't be along for the ride...right?...I don't know about you all but I am apt to go back to an establishment that treats my puppers well...right?...Anyway, my co-worker kind irritated me so I informed her that I often don't pass cookies out to screaming, ill behaved children but I've never had a dog come through my drive through that didn't deserve the cookies...lol. ..Am I in the wrong? :D

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 12:41:17 pm »
Oh ,I totally agree ! I bring my kids and dogs everywhere and personally ,I don't usually like it when people give my kids treats , then they just want the treat and won't eat their meal .... I love it when they give my dogs something though and I do catch myself wanting to bring them with me to the bank drive thru just so they get a cookie  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 06:44:40 pm »
First of all, any dog that can calmly ride in a car with a bag of steaming hot, irresistible fast food deserves a cookie. I would do the same thing. Maybe suggest to your co-worker that is she is that concerned she should suggest that a courtesy box of Milk Bones be made available for canine customers. That is what our bank uses. She could be in charge of keeping it supplied, thus being part of the solution rather than bi!@^*&^ about the problem.
Stella

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 08:46:22 pm »
I think that you make the drive-thru a great experience for all humans & their dogs. Keep up the good work!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 12:07:03 am »
Even the cute little kids are there to get kids meals, so they are already getting a treat. So I would deffinately give the cookies to the pups!
RIP former BPO

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 12:30:47 am »
I figure the kids are already there to eat.  But to give something to the dogs is an added bonus.

I was enormously and pleasantly surprised once when I went thru a McD's drive thru and they gave me a bag of cookies for Keiko.  It was a lovely gesture and I went out of my way to go to that particular McD's again (even though I never got any more cookies after that).

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 12:39:48 am »
Kali expects cookies to be given at drive thrus...it's like Pavlov's dogs she salivates at the sight of drive thrus.  Our bank knows Kali by name now...it's her favorite place to go and she stares at the vacuum transporter until it comes back with her cookies  ::).  I even keep extras in my car just in case people are mean and don't give them to her occasionally.  We did get some for her from McDs once but they tend to be stingy....we'd definitely go out of our way for a place that takes care of Kali as well as us.  And as you said most kids don't deserve the cookies. ;)
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 12:50:03 am »
Thanks for the validation guys!!...I don't need my job...It's more of a hobby than anything & it's times like that I wonder why I even go to work at all & have to deal with non animal people :(...I am going to talk to the manager next week when I go in & see about getting some doggy treats to hand out!...That's a great idea!!! ;D

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 01:55:55 am »
I think you're doing great!  We always make it a special point to take our pups somewhere where they are treated nicely.  Stores and drive-thrus that have special treats are our first choice.   :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 08:08:01 am »
Sugar Bear would love it.  Dixie would try to jump in the window so she could check it all out.  Great job!
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

k2campbell

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 01:51:43 am »
My goodness - you are SO not in the wrong!!!  I totally agree with you, and would be the exact same way! ;)

On Saturday morning, we always drive to Tim Horton's to get a coffee at the drive thru (and of course Kate comes along).  Tim's has always given out TIM BITS to dogs (it's the middle part of a donut, where the hole is).  They only have the plain TIM BITS (no flavor, no icing, no glaze, etc.) for the dogs. They're small (so) I don't feel like too much of an awful Mom for giving Kate just one of those a week... :-\

Anyhow, as soon as we pull-up Kate's head is out the window, she knows what's coming to her.  I was so angry to learn last week that they are now charging customers $0.25 per TIM BIT for the dogs!!!  WHAT?! ???  Excuse me?! >:(  RIDICULOUS!!!

Kate will of course still get one a week (because she looks forward to it so much), but I can't believe a multi-million empire such as Tim's has to charge for dog treats.  It's just plain silly! ::)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 01:59:33 am »
when the Starbucks where I work first opened last year, I noticed right away that we got lots of customers in the drive through with dogs in their cars (obviously because we are right in front of PetSmart), so I used my own money to buy some dog treats for the drive through.

A few months later I was at my vet's office (who is also a drive through regular) and she asked me if all Starbucks gave dog treats at the drive through. I told her not necessarily. She said, "was that your idea?" Of Course! She said she had several clients who had mentioned to her how nice it was and we also have several customers who are very disappointed when we run out and I haven't had time to go get more (not angry, mind you - just disappointed). Many dogs seem to know they are getting a treat when they come through now and we even have some customers that say they came and got a drink just 'cause they knew their dog expected a treat if they were anywhere close to Starbucks! (likely excuse!!)

I've even had one regular drive through customer who comes with his boston terrier come inside one night and ask for a treat in a "doggie bag" 'cause if he came home with a Starbucks cup and didn't have a treat for his dog, she'd be really upset with him!!

That little bit of generosity definitely makes a difference!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 11:11:27 pm »
I applaud your generosity Gyps! You are making a lot of pups and their people happy! That should never be criticised!

My pups get VERY excited and surprisingly well behaved when we are in the Starbucks drive-thru....THEY love their speacial treat and I LOVE that they are treated special at Starbucks....  and thanks to our repeat visits, the pups thinks EVERY drive-thru window means treats for them... that is why I too have an emergency stash in the car (or incase Starbuks runs out)!

I didn't realize the treats came from employee pockets.  I am going to pick up a box or two and donate them to the cause at our local Starbucks - from Blue & Ellie.  ;D