Author Topic: "When he gets big I'll be scared of him..."  (Read 10184 times)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
"When he gets big I'll be scared of him..."
« on: April 19, 2006, 10:26:14 pm »
AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!  I forgot to b%^&h when it happened and the "dangerous dog photo" thread reminded me of it.  The night we brought Boudreaux home my SIL was watching our son at the house.  She and her two kids (8&9)were loving on him and she made the comment, "I need to love on you now because when you get big I'll be too scared!"   >:( >:( >:( >:(  So of course that pi553d me off and I looked at her and said, "Why does big have to mean scary?  He isn't going to bite people all the time like Belle did (her nasty,$400, bit anyone that tried to touch her, kept her for 2 months before taking her to the shelter, chi)"  And I am sure I had a  >:( look on my face.  Her only comment back was, "Oh, I won't have another chi." And her new husband said, "Yea, we will have a chocolate Lab"  HELLO!  CHOCOLATE LAB...BIG DOG!  ::)  So then later her daughter made a comment about being scared of Boudreaux when he gets big too.  I told her she will just have to come visit him as he is growing so you won't be scared when he is big.  There is no reason to be scared just because he is big.  Maybe his size will just keep them away all together.  >:( 

WTFWTFWTF!!!!!!!!  AAAAAAAAARRRRR RRRRGGGGGGGGGH HHHHHHHHH!!!!!   
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: "When he gets big I'll be scared of him..."
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 12:08:13 am »
Something good can come out of anything. You now have the perfect opportunity to educate them, with the help of Bourdreaux of course, on big dogs as he is growing up.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 01:16:25 am »
Yah, I had my own encounter with the "Big = Aggressive" mentality last night.  Some people are so dumb!

I picked a Saint because they are notoriously NON- aggressive and good with kids. 
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 01:26:47 am »
I got that with every rottie or german shepard that I owned. Even now when we have Stan out you can tell people look at him and are standoffish. Meanwhile hes barking and wagging hisa tail for them to come say hi to him. It can be very frustrating and sad. These people are missing out on one of lifes greatest gifts, the love and affection of a big dog.
StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 01:55:41 am »
I think it's really sad when a parent's insecurities rub off on the children.

I actually have seen parents who are afraid of dogs and teach their children to be afraid of dogs, but the children have no idea why they're afraid, that is just what they were taught.  They really need to let the child make their own decision as to whether they will like the dog or not..........n ot let the parent decide for them that they don't like it.

I hope you are able to change their minds as they see what a wonderful dog Boudreaux wlll turn out to be.

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 02:39:57 am »
I had an evil night, too. 

So, I categorically REFUSE to drive to work.  I love my job, but I WILL NOT pay $245 a month just to park near the office--neverMIND the gas $$!  So I pay $58 for the monthly regional bus pass, take the bus, and the time differential is like, 15 minutes, because traffic is so terrible that I can't drive any faster than the bus can.  Plus, the bus stop is CLOSER to the building where I work than the parking lot I would have to pay $$245 for!

So last night, I'm standing at the stop in front of the Inglewood library, which is next door to their police station, talking with another regular rider--and treat of treats, down the street comes one of the locals in his power chair with his dog Casper, for his walk!  (Yes, I know the DOG'S name, but not his master's.  I'm just awful, awful, awful.  He's a h*ll's Angel type; I think that's how he got injured. Good guy, though.) Casper (LOVE HIM ;D :-*) is clearly an irresponsible BYB jerk bred pit/mastiff cross. He's all white except his brown hind legs and one ear. He's in training, because his owner's a parapeligic, and wants to be able to take Casper on buses with him. I think one of Casper's parents may have been an albino, because his eyes have that cast, and his pigmentation is almost nonexistant, except for those legs.   He's pitbull TALL, but mastiff SIZED, and just has the most amazing, open face. (He does drool like a courtyard fountain, though. ;))  I'm always happy to see Casper out and about, because he loves to visit. He's just a big, smoochie paw.  :-*

But these stupid girls I haven't seen at the stop before start freaking out when they see him coming toward us.  "Look at that dog!  Oh my God, he's going to bite us! (Casper had his mouth open and was doing that panting thing as he pad-pad-padded along.) Keep him away from us!" 

In the meantime, Casper has seen me and my co-rider, and is trying to get on the correct side of the chair to see us, because he knows he's going to get his forehead rubbed.  And these stupid girls keep screaming.  His owner's trying to calm them down, telling them he doesn't bite, he's very well trained, Casper's looking at them like they're having a seizure and trying to get to his friends, away from these lunatics. 

So of course because we're next to the police station, it's inevitable that while these stupid twits--who haven't been within 20 FEET of Casper, who's on a 6 foot lead--are screaming their idiot heads off, along comes a patrol car! 

They see this very bulky, bigheaded dog and these girls freaking out, they decide they have to stop. 

It took almost 10 minutes to convince them that the dog (who was sitting quietly thru all this, getting his nose rubbed) hadn't DONE anything to the stupid twits(who caught a bus about a minute after the cops pulled up, of course, and were out of the mess they started, >:(  >:(), and that Casper was, in actual fact, MORE than welcome to put his big slobbery head on my knees to be rubbed between his eyes. All they kept saying was, "Well, you can't blame those girls, he does look mean."  ??? ::) Finally, they left, leaving me standing there with his dad going, "Well, maybe when Casper gets his service dog jacket, people won't be so stupid." 

Casper doesn't look MEAN.  He looks like a mastiff--big head, big teeth, and lots of slobber! 

It was just so stupid, and just so wrong, and so sad.  We're supposed to see other PEOPLE as individuals, but it's completely OK to freak out about a dog because he's 'scary-looking?' 

I feel pretty sure if I'd reacted to the large, intimidating looking black police officer the way those girls reacted to Casper, I'd have ended up in jail! 

Anyway, I hate teenage girls.  Really.  There are separate, specific ones I'm fond of, but as a general rule?  They're horrible, judgemental nasty little drama queens with god complexes.  No wonder boys are scared of them.

If I ever see those girls at the stop again, I'm tempted to freak out on the street and claim they were threatening to me, and see what the cops to about THAT. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 02:55:16 am »
Well look at it this way -- a few years ago, a guy in a wheelchair wouldn't even be out on the street.   When I was a little kid, I never saw anyone with any kind of disability.  People with retardation, birth defects, paraplegics -- were put away because "we" were all afraid.  Of course, I didn't see anyone of color growing up either -- back then (the 60's) neighborhoods in San Antonio Texas were quite segregated.

I have people cross the street to avoid Einstein all the time.  It is a shame to live in so much fear -- and not have a clue that my big dog is probably the sweetest dog on the street!
Sarah

k2campbell

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 07:46:04 am »
I have people cross the street to avoid Einstein all the time. 

OMG?  How could ANYONE be afraid of Einstein?  With that sweet face, it baffles me??? ???

Softhug - I agree with the comments towards making it a learning experience. 

I feel your frustration though, it is silly.  When we had our Rotti (Slater), people would cross the street to avoid us almost DAILY, yet little kids would run up and pet him all the time (without even asking).  I don't agree with that either, as I believe parents should always teach their kids to "ask" first.  But regardless, some people are just ignorant and "any big dog" is dangerous, because they're big.  NO FAIR!!! >:(

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 08:48:13 am »
What is most annoying is that these aren't random strangers on the street, these are FAMILY!  For the love of God, I have a chow!  They are man-eaters too...I just don't get it.  I hope it IS a good learning experience, but as they already seem to have it set in their mind, I just don't know.
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

doggylover

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 09:02:38 am »
What is most annoying is that these aren't random strangers on the street, these are FAMILY!  For the love of God, I have a chow!  They are man-eaters too...I just don't get it.  I hope it IS a good learning experience, but as they already seem to have it set in their mind, I just don't know.
My former sister in law (neice and nephew's mother) wouldn't ever allow (not ONE time) their kids around our 'devil' dog.  Of course Badger wouldn't hurt a fly, but now my former sister in law is dating a man who just got out of prison for killing his daughter, turns out he had a long rap sheet prior to the killing.  She STILL won't let our dog around her children. 
People are really silly. 
Ronda

Offline dgodden5459

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 09:22:22 am »
I've been recording Caesar Milan "the Dog Whisperer" shows and it just so happens on a show I watched today he stated that small dogs are more apt to bite than larger breeds. Also large dogs seem to be more gentle. Go figure. He was helping owners of a Mini Pinscher that bit everyone in his family.
Deb

Gretchen the Rottie
Buttons the LLhasa
Macie who knows?

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 06:31:05 pm »
People say that to me all the time when my dogs were young...and some people have a fear and especially kids... it is an overwhelming feeling to have a dog that can easily overpower you right in your face...

I never interact with strangers dogs regardless of size... unless they are young pups..otherwis e I dont trust them or the dog

If we didnt live in such a hands on world, less people would get bit.. I also tell people not to pet my dogs majority of the time... when they were pups fine but now... I am not going to take a chance of an person making a wrong move and me losing my dog so I can fill a curosity of someone

In regards to my family some are afraid of the size of my dogs... i dont care and it is their right to have their own emotions... my dogs would never hurt them but self preservation to not want to get bit i guess
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

GR8DAME

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 08:15:06 pm »
Don't feel too bad, Softhug. I have relatives who will not come to my house because of my dogs, who have never done anything to them. They expect me to "lock them up" so they can come by. If they didn't like children, would I have to "lock up" my kids, just for the pleasure of their company??? My comprimise is simple, we either meet out, or I see tham at family gatherings at other places. As far as educating them, I find that most adults with a fear of large dogs are far too close minded to listen, or their very apprehension makes them too unpredictable to want them around my babies anyway.
Stella

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 08:22:01 pm »
"If we didnt live in such a hands on world, less people would get bit.. I also tell people not to pet my dogs majority of the time... when they were pups fine but now... I am not going to take a chance of an person making a wrong move and me losing my dog so I can fill a curosity of someone."

I'm sad to say this, but SO TRUE!

Seems like very few people take responsibility for their own actions anymore, I'm not going to have my dog quarantined or PTS because of some wierd situation brought on by a stranger.

My fawn Java is pretty much bomb proof, but I always correct those that reach out to pet him without asking first, especially children.  I'm very nice about it, but firm.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 08:34:11 pm »
I had an absolutely adorable springer spaniel before Harley - people would cross the street TO see her, ask me if we were going to breed her because she was so nice, cute etc.  Actually, once my son was born she became so protective she would have bitten anyone who came near anyone of us.  We had to tell the mailman, UPS guy etc not to come on the property if they didn't see us.

Then there is Harley about 70 pounds, all black with big teeth - but the SWEETEST dog in the world wouldn't hurt a fly and people are scared of him.

My SIL & BIL and family are not pet people her 13 year old daughter (my neice) screams whenever Harley goes near her - she just keeps saying keep that filthy thing away from me - he is smelly and gross (he usually isn't either).  They never come to my house (which is OK).  My nephew (same family and 6 years old) was so afraid of Harley that when Marc came in Harley had to go out and when Mark wanted out Harley had to go in.   We were visiting my inlaws one day and brought harley because they are about 2 hours away and SIL & BIL and family stopped in to see us and we played keep the dog away from Marc for a good hour or two - then we couldn't find Marc and went in (where Harley was) and found then together playing?  When we asked Marc what was up he said he just wasn't afraid of him anymore?  They still aren't best buddies but at least he doesn't scream and cry when big bad Harley walks in to a room.