Author Topic: Help-giant mats behind ears  (Read 31393 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Help-giant mats behind ears
« on: April 20, 2006, 03:10:20 am »
So, I was brushing Binky the other day and realized that she has giant mats behind both ears.  I don't know how they could get so bad so fast.  I have been so busy the past couple weeks that I hadn't been brushing her- bad dog mom! 
I used a fine comb to pick out as much as I could and then had to cut and pick, etc.  The problem is that the mats are still huge but I don't know where her skin is and am too afraid to do more.  Is there something I can put on to detangle?  These are serious mats, I mean packed solid.  I could take her to a groomer but have heard so many horror stories that it makes me nervous.  I don't want her to get an infection though-ahhh, what can I do?
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Help-giant mats behind ears
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 03:28:37 am »
Do you have a mat rake?  They work wonders.  I'd cut the worst of it off and them use either the mat rake or a fine tooth comb to get the areas close to the skin.  If all else fails borrow a pair of clippers from someone and shave it.  Lacey and Kali get bad mats on their hind feathers plus hate to be brushed there ::) so we generally try to get it out with the rake but last year my mom got fed up and shaved Lacey's off.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 03:34:05 am »
Hi,

I found this stuff on another forum. Everyone swears it is fantastic and you only need a small amount to de tangle. I haven't tried it but plan too.

http://www.cowboymagic.com/

Rich
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 03:35:49 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 03:40:16 am »
Do you have small cuticle scissors?  Have Binky lie with his head on your thigh and VERY gently, push the cuticle scissor through the mat as close as you can to the skin.  Make sure that you can see the scissors clearly...then very gently start cutting the mat out. After the first cut, it's pretty easy to cut them out.  Binky does need to feel relaxed while you do it so I would recommend in the evening when he's quiet and ready to go to sleep.

Don't feel bad, those mats come up so quickly!!  Once they are out, use the mat comb regularly and you won't have to worry...especi ally if you keep the fur short behind the ears.

Modified to add:  If Binky is hyper at all, I wouldn't try that method.  It's just that the Newfs fall asleep in my lap and it's so easy to do.   But if Binky jumps around a lot, it could get ugly. In that case just use the mat comb....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 03:43:07 am by newflvr »

Offline berners

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 03:42:12 am »
One of my dogs gets awful mats in the feathering on her hind legs. She also hates to be brushed, so it makes it even worse. I recently bought Mane n' Tale detangler and it really worked wonders. It is easy to use as it is in a spray bottle, and after spraying on it was easy to get the brush through.
Good Luck!
Jocelyne

Bart - Bernese Mountain Dog
Jessie - Leonberger
Cooper - Leonberger

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 03:49:26 am »
Thanks so much everyone.  I feel better that other people's dogs get mats too (not in a mean way, just that I'm not a terrible dog mom!) :) I will try everything suggested, but I think shaving might be the only option.  Poor Binky, it's guaranteed to be a bad haircut!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 04:22:57 am »
Kiah gets bad mats behind her ears too. I use a dematting comb and I love it! If it's really bad I get out the scissors and cut it off. Someone once asked me if she was a show dog. I said know then they told me to make it easier on myself and just cut off the parts that mat. It doesn't matter what they look like and you'll both be happier for it.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 05:31:18 am »
Dixie gets bad mats behind her ears in only a few days.  Most if the time I just clip a little at at times, since I can only keep her still for a little while.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Short dogs, but big paws :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 05:39:10 am »
I have used both the Cowboy Magic and the Mane & Tail products on my horses. They are great. No mat worries for my dogs... but they have other little issues :)
Short dogs Big paws

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 05:39:30 am »
Zoey gets bad tangles behind her ears too if I don't brush them every day. When she does get them, I carefully cut them out with special grooming scissors that have rounded tips so that they won't nick her. Then I just make sure to brush thoroughly as often as I can
RIP former BPO

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 05:42:08 am »
Our Kuv's can mat behind their ears too, we use a mat comb.  wide teeth like a razor comd, we just brush through behind their eas and the mats are removed.  Quick and easy!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline glaciercreekkuvasz

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Creek Kuvasz
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 10:59:14 am »
Rather than using scissors, use thinning shears. They work great.  Cut into the mat in several places and take your long toothed comb through it. Come right out without leaving a huge bald spot.  You can get thinning shears at any beauty supply place or pet supply catalogue (Sally Beauty Supply is a chain that has nice ones that are inexpensive)

Debbie Blank
Glacier Creek Kuvasz
http://glaciercreekkuvasz.com

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 07:59:24 pm »
Hi,

Rickie, can you give a little more info on the cowboy magic? On another forum I frequent all the Show dog people say they use Cowboy Magic on their Newfs and some on themselves (it is people kind also, according to the web link)

I guess I'm asking how do you use the Cowboy magic? Just apply a small amount to the mat and comb them out?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 08:00:17 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 11:54:52 am »
My cocker had bad matts in her armpits.. went to the groomer, and the groomer accidentally took a large chunk out of her while trying to cut out the matts..  Thankfully she covered the 730 bucks it cost for surgery, but I've been paro ever since.

Few weeks ago there were lumps under her ears, that were so tight-packed I thought they were part of her ear with cartiledge inside.  Finally figured out they were awful matts.  Took me an hour each side with kids saftey sissors to cut them down and out.  I've decided to keep clipped down that spot and her armpits in future it scared me so badly.  Had to have hurt like heck they were pulled so tight.

I felt like such a bad Mom, but I brush her often.. so it wasn't from not caring :(
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 01:27:38 am »
Dolly can get huge mats behind her ears too. I just cut them out with regular scissors GENTLY though and make sure not to get her skin. Then I brush the area and it's fine. You can prevent them by brushing every day behind the ears with a pin brush or slicker brush. Prevention is the best cure!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."