Author Topic: Need Advice -- Looking to Add a Doberman to Our Midst  (Read 6599 times)

Offline Jeanne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Need Advice -- Looking to Add a Doberman to Our Midst
« on: April 20, 2006, 11:50:47 pm »
Hi all! I'm hoping that the members here can give me some guidance.

We're looking to add a Doberman into our family. In addition to me, my husband, and our teenaged daughter, we have 2 cats (one 12+ years, one about 2), a just-under-2-year-old Dalmatian female (Harley Quinn), and an almost 9-year-old male Komondor (Goulash). We have a fully fenced yard (6+ feet), and both my husband and I work from home, so are with our pets far more than not. We take all of our dogs to obedience training and have done extensive research on our breeds (we had Greyhounds before the Dalmatian) before we bring one home.

We are looking for the Doberman to be a companion and personal and home guardian; to take the lead from the Komondor and then carry it on as the Kom gets older.

If anyone can offer suggestions of what we should and shouldn't be looking for in a Doberman -- including whether or not rescuing this breed could be an option for our household -- it would be most appreciated. Also, if you know of a great breeder, preferably in the Southwest (we're in Phoenix), I'd love to get some referrals.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jeanne
Mommy Dog to Goulash and Harley Quinn
Jeanne
aka "Mommy Dog" to Goulash (Komondor) and Harley Quinn (Dalmatian)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice -- Looking to Add a Doberman to Our Midst
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 10:15:07 pm »
Ooo welcome to the world of dobies! They are absolutely wonderful dogs!! Just remember a couple of things about them.
They are famous for the dober whine. Some use it A LOT but a few are more low key than a regular dobie. Dobermans have TON of energy, since you both work at home, that will be a good thing! Dobermans are extremely loving and can be very clingy. Dobermans are also very addicting and once you have one you can't be without another and another. I know I'll never be without a doberman. Also post lots of pics of your puppy or rescue dog. I'll come back later for rescues and reputable breeders near you.

and another thing, if you get a puppy and plan to crop please be careful about the vet that does it. I've seen pretty nasty pics of the cropping gone wrong. My dog, Maggie, turned out to be allergic to the tape on her ears and it was getting infected. It can be a nasty thing. Talk to your breeder on this.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 01:25:20 am »
Ooo welcome to the world of dobies! !!!

They are absolutely wonderful dogs!!  Couldn't agree more!

They are famous for the dober whine. We refer to it as the whale song. ;D

Some use it A LOT but a few are more low key than a regular dobie. Holly uses hers several times a day.  I think she believes in the use it or lose it theory.   ;)

Dobermans have TON of energy, since you both work at home, that will be a good thing! AT LEAST 2-3 hrs a day of hard exercise!

Dobermans are extremely loving and can be very clingy. We call her saran wrap. ;)

Dobermans are also very addicting and once you have one you can't be without another and another. I'll second that!  I've already started eyeing males in the local rescues, just waiting on hubby!

I know I'll never be without a doberman. Most likely true here as well. ;)

Also post lots of pics of your puppy or rescue dog. Definately!!!

and another thing, if you get a puppy and plan to crop please be careful about the vet that does it. I've seen pretty nasty pics of the cropping gone wrong.  Couldn't have said it better myself!  There are some sad jobs out there.  Make sure they know how to do a DOBIE crop and not just a crop in general. Ask for pics of ears he's done in the past. ;)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline dogcrazyforever

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Beretta- 7 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 01:44:41 am »
Hi! I'm in the Phoenix area too and I got my dobie at the shelter. If you get a puppy, meeting both parents is a MUST! I made the mistake of not seeing the parents twice and I will NEVER do it again. My first I bought just carelessly and when she turned a year,despite constant socialization, she became fearful and dangerouse. Our second, I got because the 'breeder' was going to put her down.(She had parvo) At a year, despite all our best efforts, she turned EXTREAMLY aggresive and attacked everyone in the house. These are the only dogs I have had to EVER have any behavioral problems in my whole life. (And that is ALOT of dogs...) My neighbor had one that, at a year, attacked his wife for no apparent reason. I don't mean to tell you these stories to scare you out of dobies, I'm doing it so you PLEASE won't buy a pup without meeting (and LOVING) both parents. Just be careful when you choose them out. My doberman now was a rescue and is EVERYTHING I could ever ask for. He is soooo sweet and just a goof sometimes but also fearless, extreamly smart and devoted. I love dobermans, they are my favorite breed. I just can't emphasize how important is to get a 'good' one. A good dobie is a GREAT dog! I'm sure you could go out and get a puppy from just some backyard breeder and it would grow up to be fine BUT it isn't worth the risk...ESPECIA LLY when there are some really great rescue dogs out there! You sound like great dog owners and I'm sure you'll get a wonderful dog! Good Luck and welcome to the wonderful world of dobies! Keep us posted.

Here are some rescues in AZ (incase you haven't already checked them out)

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5860697

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5274716

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:49:00 am by dogcrazyforever »
What Man Doesn't Understand
Man Fears
And What Man Fears
Man Destroys.

Stop B.S.L.