Author Topic: This is really starting to upset me now..  (Read 10165 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: This is really starting to upset me now..
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 07:28:22 am »
Lyn,

Cinder looked the same way as Bubba in those pics until recently.  We switched to Natural Balance and it has put weight on her and she has kept it on.  We also started by adding in satin balls and then went from there to making baked chickens and roasts for the girls.  Of course, we make enough for ourselves also.  He just looks like a big beautiful boy to me. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 08:15:24 am »
Lyn,

Your neighbor sounds like a real jerk! I probably wouldn't have thrown the cup, but I have to say it cracked me up reading about it  :D

I know you have tried many different foods and are working with your vet and that you are doing everything you can, so no matter what your stupid neighbor says, I want you to remember that you are a good puppy momma!

I hope that your vet can figure out what's going on soon - I assume he has tested for hyperthyroidis m, digestion problems, etc. Bubba has a healthy appetite, right? So it must be something about the way he is processing the food. I would probably up his calorie intake for now but hopefully your vet will find the cause soon. I have one other thought: Have you seen his parents? He reminds me alot of nikki's dog angus, who seems to be genetically skinny.

RIP former BPO

Offline Halo05

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 08:25:40 am »
To relay our expierence. When we got Halo at 5 and a half months he was very underweight. Only 50 lbs. Very skinny looking. I spoke with a breeder who recommended a certain diet that worked great. It was 2 TBS yogurt a day. 1 TBS a day. 5 cups kibble(eukanuba adult) a day. And pasta and veggies. No gassy veggies. I stuck with carrots and potatos. About a can of each a day. And boiled chicken, browned beef or browned ground turkey. He ate everything and put on weight and started growing after a week or two of this. It was split into teo meals a day. No treats, rawhide etc. The yogurt helped his digestion greatly and he never had gas. No he eats 6 cus kibble a day and 4 boiled chicken breasts. He's up to 165 now at 17 months. where he should be. The pasta really helped and he loved it. I boiled it plain, no oil or salt. And plain non fat yogurt. May be worth a try. Good luck.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 08:40:15 am »
I don't think Bubba looks too thin.  I've seen short haired saints before and they have all looked on the lean side.

I think some people are just too used to seeing fat dogs that they don't even know what a normal dog looks like anymore.  If a dog is at a normal weight, he/she is "too thin".  As far as I know, giant breed dogs should be on the thin side until they are older.  Most can't keep the weight on even if they tried b/c they are growing so fast.

I do get asked by people who don't know any better why Gunther is so thin.  They say he doesn't look like a "normal" dane.  Well, he's not even a 1 1/2 yr old yet!  Of course he's a bit on the thin side.  As long as the ribs aren't fully visible and the hip bones aren't sticking out, you shouldn't be too worried about it.  As long as he is actually gaining and not losing, he should be okay.  I know it is hard, but try to forget about what others think and just concentrate on Bubba.  If it is something medical, you and your vet will figure it out eventually.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 06:08:23 pm »
I think he looks rather nice and certainley not too thin LOL... 90% of dogs today are fat...yes fat and the best is when you hear people say it is all muscle...and you mumble to yourself no, it is all fat LOL

You boy is a baby and will be until 4... some are late bloomers in regards to 'beefy' dogs.  On the outside, he looks 100% healthy to me
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Lyn

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 08:04:05 pm »
I do have to admit that I haven't heard anymore popping and clicking coming from his hips in awhile. So I guess in that sense his light weight is a good thing.

It's mainly his tummy area that looks too tucked up and he's not very wide. So that makes him look even thinner. Everyone we meet comments on his weight, so I know alot of it is that I'm starting to believe what I'm hearing against my better judgement. Some people are nicer and say 'Well he just needs to fill out now' LOL He has a huge head and just looks so out of proportion. I've actually had people ask if he was a Saint/Dane mix. Saint head.. Dane body. LOL

shangrila, I know Bubba's parents well. His mom is tall to me for a female. But she's about 150ish. His dad is a tank, litterally. He's about 180+ish He's shorter than the female but twice as wide. So far height wise Bubba is kinda in between. But he looks more like his dad. Head shape ect.. body wise he doesn't look like either of them. But they are fully grown and filled out. From what I know of the other pups in the litter none of them are having any problems either. So that's also makes me feel that I'm doing something wrong for him to be the only pup with issues. Although I haven't spoke with any of them in awhile.

I should print off all your replies and just hand them to the next person that accuses me of starving Bubba. Everytime I open my mouth I say or do something I shouldn't, so they can just read and I can keep my mouth shut. LOL

Sarnewfie, The list I gave my vet before had IBS and IBD on it, along with a bunch of others. We were working through the list. Some he scratched off immediately though. I'll have to check with him and see exactly which ones we checked for. I've lost track.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2006, 10:23:38 pm »
Your neighbor is an @ss -- he sounds like he's envious because his dog died and he proved what kind of human being he is by letting the poor old dog die outside and alone.  And he sees you outside "fussing" over your beautiful pup and he HAS to criticize you in order to make himself feel better.  You might casually point out to him next time that you're working very hard to prevent your dog from having to die alone in the backyard!  I wouldn't recommend throwing coffee cups again though -- your neighbor is probably the type to file charges against YOU. 

As far as skinny -- he looks beautiful to me.  Isn't it better for younger big dogs to be on the skinny side?  Also, aren't there dangers in young pups growing too fast?

People are just stupid.  I think if I hear "is that a dog or a pony?" one more time I'll scream.  I think it takes me back to junior high school when I was 6' tall and all I ever heard was "jolly green giant" and "how's the weather up there."  Once I was eating ice cream when this boy said that -- I spit it out on him and said "it's snowing."  I have to admit, that felt really good (kinda like throwing coffee cups I would imagine).

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:24:44 pm by smsmith »
Sarah

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 02:58:21 am »
Yogurt won't hurt him a bit, especially if you get the health food store kind with active culture that we should ALL be eating, with all the processed food we humans put down our gullets!

Get some flavors that you can stand to share with him, and it will be good for both of you. ;)

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 06:42:25 am »
 ;D

Yep he sounds like he needed a scalding hot cup of Go Mind your own Business. And if you needed advice it would'nt be from him. I have Had people say to me about Bryce how much does he eat why would you want a big dog like that ? He's still a puppy then i blow there minds because i say yep and i would like 3 more just like him! Marina
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 06:50:32 am by marinafb »
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

k2campbell

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 07:15:58 am »
I can't stand it when people are ignorant just to be ignorant! >:( If people took the time to listen and at least try to understand things, the world would be a much better place...

I think Bubba is a handsome boy and he's turned out pretty good considering all of the troubles he's had.  I'd tell your neighbour to go pound sand and find something better to do with his time than voicing his unwanted opinion! ;D

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 07:34:10 am »
Let me know if you need some help keeping up your supply of coffee cups.  I'm sure we could all chip in when needed.  ;) ;D
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Lyn

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2006, 08:02:23 am »
LOL The dollar store had cheap mugs. I'll have to stock up. ;D My neighbor has a nice lump and shiner as of this morning. Ooops. ;)

Sarnewfie, The Back to Basics is only available in Nova Scotia. That's a long drive from Ontario. LOL So I called my vet again (lol) and asked him what I should try. He said to go with a fish based kibble. So I found Fromm 4 star dry. They make Whitefish and Potato and Salmon A La Veg. I'm not sure which one I should go with but both seem pretty good and don't contain any of the stuff Bubba is allergic to.

If the tests and fecal come out fine. Then I'll just have to stop worrying and hopefully his weight will catch up with his body size.

I'll have to get my hubby to airbrush me a T-shirt that says "Don't ask me about my dog's weight unless you want a beat down" LOL Or something to that effect.  ;D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2006, 08:22:01 am »
Fromm four star is a great food line :) I was going to feed it to zoey but I couldn't find it in my area so I went with nature's variety.
RIP former BPO

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2006, 05:34:12 am »
From the pictures he looks ok to me, but if you are concerned maybe he is too thin. It's been my experience with Giants that in the first 2 years or so they grow taller so fast that they just don't have a chance to fill out.
But my 3 yr old St./OEM X has a weight issue, we, like you, have tested for all kinds of things, and he never looks quite right. In build he's a lot like your dog. Unlike your dog, you CAN see his ribs (barely) and he's very light in the rear end. I boarded him at the kennel where I work recently, and had them give him Eukanuba Low Residue, as I was out of his food, and had no time to go to the store. Well, they were at the kennel 5 days, and I swear his ribs are less noticeable! Low res is a veterinary formula, supposedly for sensitive stomachs. I'm arranging to order some from work, it might be worth a try!