Author Topic: I can't believe this ! (a gripe about a vet)  (Read 9030 times)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
I can't believe this ! (a gripe about a vet)
« on: April 21, 2006, 05:00:43 am »
 >:( I know this isn't dog related but I just need to vent . We have a dear sweet horse named Speedo that is 24 years old this year . 5 years ago he broke a bone in his leg , it healed up fine but this past year he has developed arthritus so badly in it he now cannot even bend his leg . I have him on Bute ( kind of asperin for horses ) and it helps some .... He's also always been a hard horse to keep weight on but this winter was REALLY hard on him and he's terribly skinny so we've been procrastinatin g but we've finally decided it's time to put him down  :'( So I called the vet in the small town where I keep Speedo . First of all I get his assistant and I tell her I need to make an apt for Speedo to be put down and she says the vet isn't there right now ,I'll have him call you back , etc ... and after I thanked her , before I hung up she says " Why would you want to put a horse down anyhow ?" I mean , what kind of question is that ? " Umm well ... he's a real PITA ... not the right color ... eats too much .... he looks at me funny .DUH" ::) Ugh .. so anyway , I shouldn't have even bothered with that vet anymore but they're the only ones close ( I don't own a horse trailer) so I waited for the vets call . I told him what I told her , and said I've never had this done before , what happens ? He says " Well , I anethsetize (sp?) him , and then shoot him in the head .(WTF???) And that'll cost ya $150. " I was like YOU SHOOT HIM ????? .... So then I asked "Ok ... but what do I do with him afterwards ?" and he says " Well , that is your problem , when you get ahold of someone with a backhoe , let me know " .....I am so royally ticked off . I was crying and upset already and he just made it 1000000 times worse . Anyways ,after a long search I found another vet that will put him down with an IV drip , and will even take him out to his ranch and bury him for me .... So that is really nice , I just need to find someone to trailer him for me . I've been so stuck on having to make the decision as to when is the right time to put Speedo down ,I hadn't thought about how it was DONE ?!?! This is going to be the worst week in my life  :'(
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
Re: I can't believe this ! (a gripe about a vet)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 05:08:43 am »
I'm so sorry, it is an awful decision to have to make, made worse by a vets attitude. I really feel for you.
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline krismark

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • My babies!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 05:14:51 am »
Holy crap. Do you live in Mayberry or something. The VET shoots him in the head? You could hire Jimbo from down the street to give your horse some whiskey and shoot him if that's the case. WTF?????

What a terrible insult in a hard time. I'm glad you found a good one to do it for you.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 05:30:08 am »
That is actually not all that uncommen of a way of doing things.  Maybe not the right way, but in small towns you see that alot.  And alot of vets won't remove your horse for you, you have to call a rendering service.  I find that odd in today's society of pet lovers, but I guess farm animals haven't gotten all the improvements to care as dogs and cats have.

I'm glad you were able to find a better vet who seems to be a bit  more caring.  I hope you can find a trailer to use.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 05:39:43 am »
I had just assumed that all the vets had some kind of procedure for this but it seems there's really only one that will help you do something with the body .... All the others expect you to find somewhere to bury them which is really hard as alot of us only board our horses on other people's property ... The only other person that I found that would do something with his body said that they take all bodies up to "Bear Country" to feed to the bears .... I wasn't impressed with that choice either !
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 05:44:39 am »
That's just unconscionable .  Maybe someone needs to get that guy drunk and shoot him in the head. >:(

You know, it's a mark of just how fast our world is changing that nobody knows what to do.  There used to be a regular profession of 'knackers' whose whole JOB was to go out to farms and collect the remains of animals that had to be put down and dispose of them. 

Now, you have to find your own backhoe operator... :'(

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 05:52:16 am »
Holy cow! That's unimaginable!  I'm so sorry that on top of what is such a hard decision, you had to put up with that bullwinky too.  Thinking of you.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 07:17:56 am »
I'm sorry you have to make that decision but I think you're doing what's right for him.  That vet issue is messed up.  Here they just OD them on anesthetic and they go down quickly and quietly.  You are generally expected to bury your own horse....we have friends with backhoes that would help us if it comes to it.  Both have buried some of their horses and other peoples. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 07:18:50 am by chaos270 »
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 10:27:33 am »
Oh my god that is horrible! I can't believe a vet would treat animals that way! That should be illegal  >:(

I am sorry for speedos loss
RIP former BPO

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 10:38:02 am »
Tomorrow when my hubby gets home from work we're going out to spend time with the horses , take pictures , etc . I thought maybe I'd cut some of Speedo's mane or tail off to braid and put next to his picture ... is that morbid ?
Anyways , it'll be our last time with him before we take him into the vet this next week .... So , I'd like to hear what ya'll think . When he is put down , should I stay ? I mean , it's not like a dog or cat , when you can stand there and hold them , hug them ,etc ... Horses normally fall hard from what I've heard .... Do you think I should stay and watch , or should I just say goodbye there and leave ? I don't really want to stay , but I'm afraid I might regret that decision later ? Does that make sence ? ???
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 11:51:46 am »
I would totally keep some of the hair.

Not sure if I would stay there or not.  I don't know if I could watch my Pepper keel over like I know they do.  But at the same time I would feel funny having her go thru that alone.  I guess each has to make that decision as it comes to them.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 12:23:54 pm »
Tomorrow when my hubby gets home from work we're going out to spend time with the horses , take pictures , etc . I thought maybe I'd cut some of Speedo's mane or tail off to braid and put next to his picture ... is that morbid ?
Anyways , it'll be our last time with him before we take him into the vet this next week .... So , I'd like to hear what ya'll think . When he is put down , should I stay ? I mean , it's not like a dog or cat , when you can stand there and hold them , hug them ,etc ... Horses normally fall hard from what I've heard .... Do you think I should stay and watch , or should I just say goodbye there and leave ? I don't really want to stay , but I'm afraid I might regret that decision later ? Does that make sence ? ???
Wow...I'm sorry that a vet would show such callousnes towards your majestic baby...Keeping a lock of hair is an awesome idea...The again you're asking a person whose hubby dug up the remains of a kitten & a guinea pig to rebury when we found our forever home. :-\ :) I will always be there with my fur babies if I need to help them along to The Bridge...I know a horse is a different story than a dog or cat but I still can't help but feel they were faithful friends to us in this world that we owe it to them to see them out of it...Some loving, soft spoken words as they break their tethers to this world could make all the difference to them & us...I am sending prayers for Speedo's peaceful passing...When his tethers break may he run bucking joyfully into The Fields of Green that await him. :)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 07:09:02 pm »
Hmmmm it's a hard decision, I stayed with a horse and it was hard to watch but he actually went down slowly.  Our vets generally give a good dose of sedative and then it all it takes is a big dose syringe of euth and the go down quietly. It's be good for your horse to stay but if you can't handle seeing him go down you should say goodbye and maybe stay while they sedate him and then leave. Talk to the vet you're going to have do it and see what his take on it is. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 02:50:54 am »
I am very sorry for your family and Speedo.  What an insensative jerk that so called professional was.  I also can't tell you whether to stay with Speedo or not but I'm sure which ever decision you make it will be the right one - just don't beat yourself up over the decision once it is done.

We will be thinking of you and Speedo

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 03:32:18 am »
I can't believe a professional vet would say something like that. What an a**!

As for cutting off part of the mane/tail and braiding it to keep - it's not morbid at all. I was so excited when I found some of Oasis' hair in the grass (about the only time I was happy he shed so much) after he died. I scooped it up and keep it in a special keepsake box.

Good luck. I'll be thinking of you.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain