Author Topic: Dry flakey skin...  (Read 12480 times)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Dry flakey skin...
« on: April 27, 2006, 12:31:58 am »
Sophie has got really dry skin right now. She is very flakey all over her back. I have heard that sometimes dry skin can be fixed by changing food but she is eating Canidae which I feel very comfortable with it's quality.  Should I try something different?  She gets a bath maybe once a month sometimes less.  We use oatmeal shampoo and an arm & hammer baking soda conditioner.  Any suggestions for a moisturizing shampoo and/or conditioner?  She gets a daily multivitamin that does have brewer's yeast in it in.  Should we try brewer's yeast on its own or is their another supplement we should try?

Thanks
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Re: Dry flakey skin...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 12:50:35 am »
Try a little veg oil on her food.  Just a tablespoon per day should help.  Some vet supply places sell stuff that you can use for this purpose but my dogs never liked it.  They preferred veg oil.  Actually, I've only ever really had a big problem with one dog when she was younger when she'd swim a lot.  She had thick fur that would never dry out and then she'd get flaky after we washed her to clear out the smell.  We switched to a tar and sulfur shampoo and she did a lot better on that.  Not sure the smell of the doggy tar and sulfur was better but the Neutrogena wasn't too bad. 
Daphne

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 01:11:23 am »
We use the veg oil too. I used corn oil the last time--it worked really well too. 1 TBS a day.  ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 01:22:05 am »
I've started mine on coconut oil.  In addition, they are on flaxseed oil (although that doesn't seem to be helping Gunther's dry skin at all).  I may start fish oil when I'm out of the flaxseed.

I contribute his dry skin to the climate here in CA, plus he has allergies.  Keiko's skin is dry, but not flaky like his.  Either that or her coat covers it up.   :D

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 03:39:00 am »
Thanks for the ideas!  I will definitely have to try the veggie oil or fish oil and I'll keep my eyes open for some leave-in conditioner.  I think Fresh N Clean is the company that makes the conditioner we're using now which leaves her smelling good for a couple days so I bet their spray stuff is nice too.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline roxygirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 06:03:30 am »
I use fish oils as well. I buy it at the local feed store. I think it is called grizzly salmon oil but I am not sure. It is in an easy to use pump bottle.
Kim
Kim
Great Lakes Mastiff Rescue,Inc.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 09:02:53 am »
When Zoey gets dry skin I use a shea butter dander control / skin repair by a company called shea pet http://www.sheapet.com/index.html
RIP former BPO

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 09:53:47 am »
Would olive oil work as well as the veggie or fish oil?
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 03:18:13 am »
I give Cabeza one vitamin E capsule a day when his skin seems bad. (Haven't had to in awhile, knock on wood) He greedily takes them..hahaha.. .he loves it. He comes running when he hears the pills rattling around in the bottle. I just buy the big huge bottles of people vit. E. capsules from the drugstore.

I've also done olive oil. Can't really say how well it worked, though. But, it couldn't hurt. The other thing is, many of the high-quality foods have no preservatives, and are preserved with Vitamin E. I think that its really important to keep the bags sealed so that you don't lose that important oil in the food. Do you do that? Like, get a big potato chip bag clip, or keep the food in a sealed container.

Just a suggestion!  ;D

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 08:35:38 am »
How many mg's?  I found them at 1000 & 1200.  Or should I look for 500?   ???
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline frosty73

• Gnawer
  • Giant puppy Atlas and mini Djin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 11:19:57 am »
That is so weird, I was going to ask for advice about dry flaky skin also... and I feed Canidae also...???

My mini schnauzer has had dry flaky skin all his 12 years, but now my Giant puppy is getting it, too.   :(  I'm in the process of switching them from Nutro to Canidae, and in spite of the dandruff, I get lots of compliments on how shiny their coats both are.  But I think I'll try giving them fish oil pills (since I bought a bunch for myself and never used them!)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 04:00:17 am »
2nd on the Fish Oil tablets, we get them from Wal-mart, I feel like they really help.  They are a pain to feed but I think it helps their skin/coats.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”