Author Topic: If you could build your own dog park?  (Read 4809 times)

cricket36580

If you could build your own dog park?
« on: May 02, 2006, 07:11:31 pm »
What would you have in it?  I don't know why this has been on my mind a lot lately but...Just for giggles, what would you include?  It can be silly or practical or expensive or whatever.  And what rules would you have over the givens like utd shots and no agression...?

And how many fields would you have? One for big paws and one for tiny tracks? or a few that aren't designated? and a training field?  with agility stuff available (if you have a key to get them).

May be members lockers?

Personally, I would like a clubhouse with a meeting room and a pavillion and nice fencing and members only.  I'm just dreaming so anythings allowed....

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: If you could build your own dog park?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 08:19:47 pm »
As long as we're just dreaming.. A wave pool, or one of those pools that you can swim against. Like a treadmill for swimmers, for the dogs to build up muscle in a low-impact way.

And water features like you see at some kids parks.

Of course the water section would have to be fenced off by itself as not everyone would appreciate the ride home with the wet dog smell.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 08:28:00 pm »
Arabian tents full of Cabanna boys for my girls where they can get their nail done and ears cleaned out and their teeth brushed...Soft, soothing music and candles that smell like cheese...one of those bouncey ball rooms Filled to the roof with tennis balls.  and I love Brandon's wave pool idea. 

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 10:31:03 pm »
I would make a no cell phone rule...we go to the dog park here at LEAST 3 days a week because we like to take the dogs one at a time so that its their own special time with us. I have had a huge problem with people showing up with their dogs letting them run and going to a corner and talking on a cell phone the whole time they are there. It was Brody's night to go last night and she was attacked by a dog whose owner was on the phone...luckil y hubby was standing right there and seperated them. but the owner never did get off the phone.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 10:50:06 pm »
I would make a no cell phone rule...we go to the dog park here at LEAST 3 days a week because we like to take the dogs one at a time so that its their own special time with us. I have had a huge problem with people showing up with their dogs letting them run and going to a corner and talking on a cell phone the whole time they are there. It was Brody's night to go last night and she was attacked by a dog whose owner was on the phone...luckil y hubby was standing right there and seperated them. but the owner never did get off the phone.

Oh, yeah -- that's a biggie.  People are so stupid.  They really think they're doing their duty, just by sitting in the dog park.  No wonder their dogs are usually the dogs starting up spats.

I'd like to see a fenced in track around the permiter, and a rule that you had to walk your dog for 30 minutes before bringing them into the park.

AND, a paid life guard-type person to do nothing but monitor the pack for signs of aggressive behaviour. 

AND, training programs (like the YMCA). 

I'm sure I'll think of more, but since I stopped going to the dog parks, I've forgotten my other pet peeves (no pun intended).

Sarah
Sarah

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 10:58:57 pm »
Maybe an obstacle course for agility training?
I saw a dog park in Florida that had a small dog and large dog area. I think that is a nice feature...Bear tends to not know her own size when playing with small dogs and though she is not aggressive, a little paw box sends them flying!! There was also a dog beach in Florida...awes ome feature

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 11:21:08 pm »
I'd like to see a fenced in track around the permiter, and a rule that you had to walk your dog for 30 minutes before bringing them into the park.

that is a great idea!!!
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 11:26:45 pm »
Some of the Americans on another board I'm on are shocked when I mention what local dog parks are like.  One lady goes to a park with doggie water fountains that they can puddle in the pool of water surrounding it, benches everywhere, lots of lush grass..

I'd like to see a do it yourself grooming area so you can at least wash and towel down your furkid if they got super dirty at the park.  That was a chronic problem at the last fog park I went to.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 11:31:42 pm »
I'd like to see a do it yourself grooming area so you can at least wash and towel down your furkid if they got super dirty at the park.  That was a chronic problem at the last fog park I went to.

I like that idea!  Would save me a lot of money, and maybe if he wasn't in the groomer/vet sterile office, Einstein wouldn't be so freaked out about it.
Sarah

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 05:23:46 pm »
I want a separate area for doggie that just want to chase tennis balls and not be harrassed by other dogs that want to play.  Holly is much more social after she's run a few (hundred) rounds of fetch without someone always charging her or trying to steal her ball.
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

doggylover

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 11:49:58 pm »
I would LOVE an area that was covered, with turf under it, so that when it rains, the dogs could still play without being in the mud.  Also, it would be cool if there were really cute young guys there who aren't allowed to wear shirts, whose job it is to run around and clean up all the doggy doo. 

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 11:53:08 pm »
  Also, it would be cool if there were really cute young guys there who aren't allowed to wear shirts, whose job it is to run around and clean up all the doggy doo. 
& they all wore loin cloths & were named Raoul :D...LOL!

doggylover

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 11:56:07 pm »
lololol YES!

doggylover

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 11:57:05 pm »
I'd be tempted to feed my dog a ton of food and forbid him to go potty, make him hold it all till we got to the park! ::)

cricket36580

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 05:52:33 am »
ok...so let me see if I have this right. 

We want a compound that has a separate running area, a fenced tennis ball area, a water park, a wave pool, a covered arena, a clubhouse, young virile nekkid boys running around picking up dog poop, a fenced mojo area, a grooming area, and what else?  Since thsi is members only, how about members lockers?    Oh, and training programs and a stringent set of rules for idiot owners. 

So what we want isn't so much a dog park as a "Canine Center".  Sounds reasonable so far....