Author Topic: Educate me, please!  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Educate me, please!
« on: May 06, 2006, 04:48:44 am »
I'm kind of attracted all of the sudden to German Shorthaired Pointers! Please educate me about this breed, all of you who have experience with it. I hope to own one someday, but I'd like to hear more about them from people who own them or deal with them frequently! What's their personality like? Energy level? Good qualities? Bad qualities? Spill it all!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline mariannawoof

• Ankle Biter
  • gotta love the kisses
    • View Profile
Re: Educate me, please!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 11:49:26 pm »
GSP's are very high energy...simil ar to the Weimaraner...t hey are believed to be derived from the same line (way way back)- but you can't get all different kinds... they are very very smart...water dogs... strong...I too love the GSP... I'm not a hunter....but they do have a high prey drive too... if you get one...and you aren't into hunting...try to find one that is raised as a companion... they are big jumpers...so you must have a tall fence...if you don't have an electric fence...but they are strong...I watched one and it used to get into the shower with me...she loved showers!  I have a Weimaraner...a nd I looooove my Weim...
I hope this helps....xoxo marianna
Hugs & wags -
Marianna, Riley & Duffy

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Educate me, please!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:58:10 pm »
I lived with one briefly years ago, she belonged to a roommate of mine. She was a wonderful dog, smart, beautiful, and I agree she was very similar to a weimaraner in disposition. She had terrible separation anxiety when her daddy was not home, she was extremely devoted to him- so loyal that it hurt her to not be with him at all times. Her energy level never caused problems in the house, as long as she was taken for long walks every day. We didn't even have a fenced yard.

Very sweet dog! :)