Author Topic: Dog in the Bed  (Read 4641 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Dog in the Bed
« on: June 02, 2005, 07:23:04 am »
I know this makes be a very very bad dog mommy.  But I have to get Rocco out of my bed.  I dont' mind sleeping with him but the over abundance of black hair all over my bedspread has to stop.  I am probably selling my house soon and I really don't want to have to change the bedspread everyday.

Any advice on getting the beast off the bed.  I was semi successful in getting the dogs off the couch when I got new furniture.  Though ocassionally I will get out of the showing as Rocco is sliding off the couch.  Like I can't tell he was there by the black hair on the tan slip cover.

I have thought about getting him his own nice comfy dog bed.  Letting him sleep in his cage like Maia does, but that would make us both sad.  Locking him out of my room but then he will sleep on the couch which is just as bad.  I'm sure I will eventually just cave and get a black bedspread and keep letting hiim sleep on the bed.

Or if there is a quick way to dedog hair my bed every morning, share please!?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Dog in the Bed
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 08:12:50 am »
Maybe you could use a different bedspread at night when he sleeps with you and in the morning when you make the bed just take it off and put on the nice, dog hairless one.  That way it looks great to everyone who sees it during the day and you don't have to get rid of dog hair everyday either.  I can't stand the dog on my bed only because I cough up hair balls all night long!  Good luck to you!

Natalie

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 08:26:36 am »
Hmmm...I dunno. We gave up trying to get Bear off the couch too because we felt bad. He looked so sad and made us feel guilty for taking away the place we all share. As for the bed, Bear isn't allowed under the covers. Our duvet cover is washable and that is all he is allowed on...unless the sheets are off and then he feels the matress is his. Good luck!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 08:29:46 am »
I dont seem to have that problem.Spotak iss lays in our bed but he never wants to sleep with us.I wish he did.Maybe its the fact that we have a full size bed and he knows there just isnt room enough for him.Go figure

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 08:30:43 am »
Changing the bedspread is a good idea.  I try to make sure he stays on top of the covers but many a nights I wake up to him on the sheet next to me and the covers all shoved in the corner.  We are rough sleeper, I guess.
I get the sad look when I catch him getting off the couch but I ignore it.  My dogs have their own room with their own couch, plus he has a chair he is allowed in.  He knows where he is allowed and where he is not.  He just likes to see what he can get away with.
It is nice to cuddle up to him when he decides I can stare at his face all night instead of his @ss but usually I get the back end.  I guess so he can see the door better. :)
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 08:44:32 am »
I know that all dogs are differnet, but when we got our Husky mix a bed of her own she was thrilled to have her own bed. She only gets up on the bed in the mornings, and then throughout the day if we aren't home. We have another blanket that we place on the bed for when we are working... I dread the day when we have to have our place free of dog fur for some reason or another... Good luck.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 08:36:04 pm »
I dont seem to have that problem.Spotak iss lays in our bed but he never wants to sleep with us.I wish he did.Maybe its the fact that we have a full size bed and he knows there just isnt room enough for him.Go figure

My Zoey does the same thing - she climbs into bed to cuddle and watch tv, but when it's time to sleep she hops down and sleeps next to the bed. I think it's because it's hotter with us on the bed than it is down on the floor, and she hates the heat.
RIP former BPO

awo

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 08:48:41 pm »
By the looks of your dogs, it's probably a learned behavior.  I'm sure if you weren't selling your house, it wouldn't be a problem.  There could be two solutions.  First, people who look at your house aren't going to care if there is dog hair on your bed, unless you plan on leaving everything there.  They will look at everything with pets, doors, backyard spots, molding and the like.  Second, if you don't intend on letting your dog sleep with you at your next house you can untrain him.  Every time he jumps on the bed, get a rolled up newspaper, slap it on your hand and tell him to get down.  If he complies, give him a treat while he lays next to the bed, after awhile he should learn that you don't want him on there.  Just remember it has to be consistant training for it work.  I hope this helps.

awo

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 08:56:39 pm »
I have to admit that my house is owned by my dogs and if I treat them real well I get to sleep in their bed and sit on their couch  ;D Our dogs are pretty much spread out in the house, but at night Galahad is the one who sleeps with us, and he loves to be under the cover, if he can put his head on the pillow and get someone to pull the cover over him so only his head sticks up he is a happy puppy. Hubby is grunting from time to time about the dog hair, but he is a mastiff (Galahad not hubby  ::) ) So not too much hair.

We do have two longed haired babies though and I saw a handheld rubber brush, that took hair off chairs, beds or in the car, really wherever you have fabric. It just kinda rolled off, I will try and find where I saw that one, I wanted to get one for myself, the dogs are bad, but Trouble the cat loves to lie on the dining room chairs and they are cream colord..... she is not..... Lots of hair to get off those.

I love the idea about changing the spread when you go to bed and have him there, and then have almost like a "preppy spread"  ;D you can put on when people are coming over. Happy dog and happy mom.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

nickerbokker

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 09:13:44 pm »

i ALWAYS wanted my dogs to sleep with me, and when i got a place of my own, i let cody sleep with me.  at first it was an adjustment...b ecause i was used to the whole bed, and all the sudden i had this monster in bed with me pushing me out all the time (literally, he would push me with his feet till i fell out).  once we got adjusted, it was okay....THEN came angus...who immediately decided he wanted to sleep ontop of me.  it was SO cute when he was 3 lbs, and even when he was 5....but NOW it just plain hurts!  i wouldn't be surprised if i died in my sleep one night from suffocation.  the dog ALWAYS lays on my chest and head and even throat.....SOO OO...lol, be careful what you wish for.  cody is on my legs, angus is on my chest, and i just CANNOT sleep anymore!