Author Topic: Dane's growth  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Dane's growth
« on: May 06, 2006, 11:45:42 am »
Does anyone know when Dane's growth spurts occur?  Bella weighed 100lb at the beginning of March.  She was just over 7 months old.  Exactly two months later, she has only gained 1 and a half pounds.  Her mom was about 150 and her dad was 165-170.  I expect her to get bigger, but I was just curious about how fast.
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Dane's growth
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 12:04:33 pm »
I can say once Gunther hit around 8 months old, he grew little to none until last month.  Since Nov, he was around 118/119 lbs.  He gained 5 lbs as of last weigh in about 2 wks ago.  So I think he may be starting another growth spurt.

I think alot of it has to do with the dog and what body type they are.  Gunther grew the most from 4 mo-8 months, then slowly after that (and he was pretty sick in August, causing him to lose weight).  I don't know if there is really a standard for dane growth.  Only that they can continue growing until they're around 3.  From what I've heard, it's 2 yrs up, and 1 yr out.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 08:30:19 pm »
Now boys are going to grow differently than girls, but my boy Java put on at least 4 inches after he hit a year, and now at 3.5 has finally filled out.  I'd estimate he put on 15-20 lbs just in the last 6 months.  Of course he's 39" and probably 180 lbs now, so he's a big boy. (and I'm not exaggerating, just ask Kristi! :) )

So don't worry, Danes are supposed to grow SLOWLY, and your pup probably still has a long way to go.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 08:40:36 pm »
Tyra has always been on the thin size.  At a year old she was about 33" and barley 100 lbs.  Now at 18 months she is almost 34" and only 106 lbs.  She is just now starting to gain a little weight.  There are days that she looks more like a greyhound than a dane.

Cindy

Here is a picture of Tyra that was taken during a play date last week.  Looking at all my pics of her I just realize that she really has become a couch potato.

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 09:33:16 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I didn't even think about the fact that they may have exaggerated her mother's size.  I met both parents, but this is my first dane and both of them looked huge to me.  I had no basis to compare!
Yes, I think her largest growth spurt so far was from about 5-7 months.  She jumped from 80lbs to 100lbs during that time.  She is very lean, but does seem to be a very healthy weight (no ribs showing, but no unwanted fat,either).  As most of you know, seeing your baby everyday you don't notice them growing so much.  It's when people come around who may not have seen her in a few weeks, they always remark about how big she has gotten. :D
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

cricket36580

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 03:47:42 am »
Bella grew a bunch after her 1st bday too, and has added some much needed weight.  She seems to have stopped for the time being, thankfully.  For a bitch she's pretty good size.  Her lines are German import mostly and they tend to be quite a bit larger.  However, her major spurt was around 10 mos and I swear she put on about 6" in 6 weeks. (that really is an exaggeration.. .sort of)

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 05:37:23 am »
Wow--that's pretty unusual to get that much height after his first birthday.  And I believe you about Java's size, just from seeing his pic from the Bark in the Park thing.  Unless you're really an elf, that is one BIG boy!  :o :o :o

LOL!  No, I'm no elf, I'm 5'8".
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein