Author Topic: Do you know the wood? NDR PIC  (Read 3822 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Do you know the wood? NDR PIC
« on: August 12, 2008, 12:57:04 pm »
I have been renovating our living/dining room area the past month or so and bought new dining room set (almost new from craigslist). I have no idea what wood it made out of and I don't know how to clean it  :-\ :P ::)
Please help! I don't want to mess it up. The furniture smells fantastic. The table I had before was so old that I never bothered cleaing or polishing it.
Any ideas on smelly wood and how to clean/polish it?
Sorry about Lily's butt  :D ::)
Thanks
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:01:23 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

AudgePadge

Re: Do you know the wood? NDR PIC
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 01:24:52 pm »
I like Method cleaners...you can get them from Target.  They have wood, multi-surface, etc. Any kind of cleaner...thei r wood cleaner smells VERY NICE...

AND...it's non-toxic and biodegradable. ..so when Lily's butt scrapes against the table, or if she licks it...no need for poison control :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 06:15:06 pm »
That looks exactly like my set. I clean it with Pledge wipes.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

jesday

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:16:36 pm »
I had a similar set once and it was made of teak. Beautiful wood! I had an old dresser refinished by a guy in the wood business for 30+ years. He says the absolute best product is good ol' Murphy Oil Soap. It's made out of pure vegetable oil.
www.murphyoils oap.com

I have used it for years and even found some at a dollar store once. It really has kept our stuff looking nice. If you don't count the scratch my brother put on our coffee table dragging his lap top across it. >:(

The main thing is not to use any product that contains wax (sorry Pledge). Over time wax builds up in places you don't see and hardens. This can start cracking and weakening the wood. Something else my little wood finisher told me. ;)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:54:46 am »
Not to contradict Jenn, the oil fanatic, but you're not supposed to oil furniture or cutting boards with olive oils (or vegetable oils) because they can go rancid.  Use food-safe mineral oil, tung oil, or citrus oil (usually lemon or orange) to avoid this problem. 

Also, find out what kind of finish is on the wood before you oil it.  If it has a hard finish like lacquer or polyurethane, oiling is not a good idea.
Holly, you are the ultimate ....um, Holly  ;D  ;)
I did use olive oil on it last night...I am sure it's not going to kill it as Jenn have been oiling her furniture with it for a while  :D :D ::) :P
The set doesn't have a hard finish so I have to find that citrus oil now. Where do I find it and how do I use it  ???
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)