Author Topic: biting newfie  (Read 2836 times)

Offline mattserinadiego

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
biting newfie
« on: March 21, 2007, 01:18:53 am »
We are new on here and have an almost-4 month old Landseer Newfie pup. His name is Diego and he is very well mannered. However, he bites us all the time. Anyone have any tips on how to curb this? or a timeline on when newfie's normally outgrow this biting phase? our hands and pant legs can't take too much more!

Also, are newfies not normally cuddly? Our Diego loves to go for walks and seems to be a happy dog, but doesn't really let us pet him or anything like that without some biting.

Overall, we love our lil' dog, but just wish he's stop biting us.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: biting newfie
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 02:01:40 am »
that's normal puppy behavior.  you just have to teach him it's not ok.  you can start by either:
1)  using a spray bottle with cold water and squirting him when he does it, OR

2) screech (like a dog yelps) so he knows it hurts you
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 02:08:40 am »
Yeah, puppy biting goes across all breed boundaries. Puppies just bite...its what they do when they play together, and they don't know that you aren't a puppy!

When you're working on this issue, you have to work on it holistically. By that, I mean, you can't JUST deal with the biting thing. You have to establish that you aren't a pup in EVERY aspect of Diego's life. Basic obedience should help with that.

I did the yelping thing with a pup I was training. It seemed to help. But you can also work with him on "sit" and then have him sit (briefly) when you put his food down, stuff like that. Newfies REALLY want to please their owners, and are very sensitive, so he should learn really quickly.

As far as being cuddly, well...think about toddlers! He loves you, but he wants to PLAY PLAY PLAY! People think of Newfs as big blobs of lovin', but they're working dogs, and puppies are puppies! Remember, he's a baby first and Newf second.

There is TONS of knowledge and support here, you came to the right place! Digeo is a major cutie!! We can't wait to see more pictures and hear about Diego!

Offline taylorrr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 02:34:28 am »
My pup had a biting phase too... a couple of things that helped were: 1. having a toy handy and doing the "redirect/replace" method, where he'd bite me, I'd say "NO!" and then put the toy in his mouth and say "good boy!"  2. letting him play with other dogs helped some, because they taught him how hard he could bite without hurting them.   

It's a frustrating time, I know, because you want to play with him so badly but don't want to be bleeding!  Also, he's probably starting to teeth, and a great trick my mom taught me was to wet an old washcloth, tie it in a knot and freeze it.  just watch the pup to make sure he doesnt swallow it!  its very soothing to their gums. 

hope you find -something- that works!  good luck!
--taylor--

proud mother of Maddox the Midtown Mutt... the love of my life.