Author Topic: Check out the size of this Woody!  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Check out the size of this Woody!
« on: May 25, 2007, 12:06:07 pm »
... as in Woodpecker.  ;) 

I was sitting at the computer yesterday when all of a sudden, Jay shouts, "There's a Pileated Woodpecker!!!!"  After looking at him like he was insane(which believe me, he is), I then saw what he was pointing at.  Woody!!! A real Pileated Woodpecker!   :o

The weird thing is that it was right out our computer room window and across our driveway.  The even weirder thing is that since the begining of April, we've been stalking one a mile away on the main road that goes from our house to the dairy farm(that's why Jay even knew what it was, because I looked it up... ;) ).  So, I'm guessing that this is the same one, because they are supposed to be pretty uncommon?

Jay saw it a couple of times driving back and forth, so I staked out the tree it was working on.  No show anytime I was in the area.  :(  I did get a good shot of Woody's handywork though!  Amazing that he did this in the course of less than a week!  They really are huge for a woodpecker, around the same size a crow, if not bigger!

So back to yesterday...  Jay shouts, I run and grab my camera and go to try and shoot it through our bedroom window.  But just my luck, the sun is  setting directly behind where Woody is.  This is where I get frustated and throw a temper tantrum because I still don't know all the settings on my camera.   :P

Between the sun and Woody jumping and creeping around the tree trunks like a frikkin pteradactyl, I manage to get 4 shots total and only one was even decent, but I'll post all of them.   :-[  So I think I still need a lot of practice!  lol
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:53:57 pm by Moni »
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

marypyrs

Re: Check out the size of this Woody!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 08:59:18 pm »
That is exciting! They're SUCH a beautiful bird. And the size is SO impressive. There has been a pair living close by here for the last couple of years & I normally see them early in the morning while walking the dogs. It's always a thrill. I've never been able to get pictures of them, however. (I have a leash in each hand.)

Now you'll have to go out & take a picture of the same tree with yourself or Jay to show how really BIG this fellow is. :D (I'm one of those wild bird watching/feeding fanatics.)

Great Pictures! :D

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 12:47:06 am »
Wow, he is beautiful and I think that you took some really nice pics!  BTW, your title cracked me up!!! LOL!  ;D  :o
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 03:53:27 am »
I have to say this was on of the first topics I clicked on today...lol..i t must have been the title   ::)  hehehehe
Great shots I can't believe how big that hole is in the tree..wow

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 05:40:32 am »
Wow, that little guy's been busy!  Love the pics!  ;D

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 06:46:54 am »
What a busy guy he has been! I have never seen one of those before so I would be right up there with you and the camera! I hope the tree is ok too... That is a lot of damage!
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 02:08:10 pm »
that is so neat, im glad you posted that. ive only seen a couple before. the're kind of hard to come by
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 03:01:56 am »
That's amazing!  Thanks for sharing those pics.
Salli, Annie's mama!