Author Topic: He Bit Me!!! Really Long  (Read 14125 times)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: He Bit Me!!! Really Long
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2007, 06:20:48 pm »

2: measure out his food for the day and carry a portion of it around and constantly give him pieces through out the day as a reward for all kinds of different things, whether they be big or small. of course always accompany a treat with a big happy praise! ;D

Great idea - this is the foundation of Ian Dunbar's training (founder of APDT and renowned trainer) and he suggests feeding a new puppy all of his food in kongs and during training if feasible.  He does caution however that to be truly effective, especially to correct a problem behavior, that the reward must be of high value. If a dog is not highly motivated by his regular every day food, then this will not work.  Ian Dunbar always recommends that you buy freeze dried liver - as this is the highest reward a dog can usually get one they will always value -this is what I use.  Petsmart carries it and most all pet stores carry it.

By the way, positive reward based training is the foundation of everything I do when rehabilitating foster dogs and training my own. I have never had a problem stopping the treats and losing the behavior once learned.

Ian Dunbar's "Before and After you get your puppy" is also a must have on the book shelf.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: He Bit Me!!! Really Long
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2007, 07:36:12 pm »
 ??? ???

Does anyone know how Otis and his momma are doing?  Been thinking about them alot lately.  I hope things have gotten better for them.

??? ???
My Sponsership page for my very first race!