Author Topic: Does anyone have a Great Pyr & a Saint?  (Read 3357 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Does anyone have a Great Pyr & a Saint?
« on: June 09, 2005, 09:18:51 pm »
We are planning on getting Samson his own puppy by next spring sometime...I thought we had decided on a Newf. but then decided against it. (I think..lol!)  I have been doing tons of research on the St. but I would like to know the differences in the Great Pyr & St. breeds by someone who has 1st hand knowlege...Can I get the positives & negatives on each breed by someone who has or has dealt with both?

Offline Saint Molly

• Gnawer
  • Miss Molly
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have a Great Pyr & a Saint?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 10:18:55 pm »
 I have a Saint she can be so stuborn and weighing 150 its not easy to get her in the bath tub to take a bath! I love my saint she's great with my kids and my cats and birds BUT!! she doen't like (only) some people I am afraid she might bite. Its not all  people it only some I have no clue as to why? She feels the vibes and can tell the real dog lovers. Its very inportant to start training early so they know you are the boss and socialize them with everyone and every age. People have a tendency to run up in groups and smother them because they don't see saints very  often and that scares them they think your dog is Beetoven . Lets face it every Saint bernard puppy is so so so  Squeezable  cute!! But one at a time! is so much easier on your dog.
Saint Molly Malone's

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 10:26:16 pm »
My Pyr is the same way as your Molly...With him trust is always earned & not a given...It takes him a long time to come around even to fairly frequent visitors in our home...My hubby says that he gets it from his mama...lol!...B.t.w., I seldom do but have had people run up on Samson wanting to cuddle him up...It works wonderfully to put up a hand & yell STOP! firmly & then I explain the best way to approach him...It works wonderfully!

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 06:39:46 am »
We have never had a Great Pyr. but we did have a Saint. She was THE BEST DOG! So gentle and loving. Would never hurt anything or anyone. The biggest danger was when she would go belly up for tummy rubs, you had to steer clear of her paws going up in the air! :D
She went to the rainbow bridge on May 1. We now have a Newf/Saint mix and although she is "in puppy mode" at the moment, she has the same loving characteristic s as Liberty did. Roxy has some bigs paws to fill! I think Liberty is telling her to be good!!
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:04:14 am »
I'm so sorry for the loss of your big sweet girl!....& congrats on your new pupper!...I just bet Liberty is letting Roxy know she needs to be a good girl! :) we ended up getting another Pyr...His name is Pippin & he was born 2-19-05!...Here he is:

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 10:37:09 am »
This is Roxy. She is a Newf/Saint mix. She looks very much like a Leonberger.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix