Author Topic: Have I turned into one of THOSE people? (Long)  (Read 3724 times)

jesday

Have I turned into one of THOSE people? (Long)
« on: July 30, 2008, 07:56:21 pm »
We took the bubs to the dog park today and a young gal (20ish) showed up with a magnificent Pyr. He was probably the biggest Pyr I have personally seen. After all the dogs did the meet and greet or whiff & sniff I should say, I noticed how badly matted his rear end was. I mean seriously matted. :-[ If his tail wasn't up over his back I'm sure it would have been incorporated into his back legs. :-\

He came over to me and I gave him a good scratch and just about everywhere I scrunched my fingers, they came across bits of twigs and grasses etc. I don't think the boy had ever been brushed.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think dogs should be show quality and I don't brush my bubs everyday, but he was a serious mess.

Later I strolled over to talk to his owner and she told me how she rescued him from a local shelter, had had him about 2 years now and was a very proud mom. I told her how great he was and that he must have gotten into some pretty good brush lately."Oh, we live in the country and he runs around a lot. He's always covered with something. The good thing is their fur. It protects them from all that stuff."

I told her, "You'd think so, wouldn't you. But truth is, sometimes those little grasses and twigs can work their way down into their skin and get embedded. Sometimes the littlest bit can cause some pretty good infections."

And this is where I probably should have stopped, but no, I had to follow that up with, "A good brushing every few days or so is a good way to keep that from happening. It also keeps the matting down."

Then I got the look. The  >:( look. She called her dog and went to the far side of the park.

Have I turned into one of those little biddys who can't mind her own business? The dog was a healthy weight, having a blast at the park and was obviously loved by his owner.

Oh well. I'm sure my comments won't change her outlook on caring for her baby and I probably gave her something to talk about to her friends. "I met this B - - - h at the dog park and I'm not talking about a female dog!" ;)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: Have I turned into one of THOSE people? (Long)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:18:04 pm »
Don't feel bad..I think you were much more diplomatic than I probablly would have been..

If he was everything you said he deserves better..

And her comment about how great their fur is ..it protects them..only shows her ignorance..Of course their fur protects them but not from stupid owners..

Hopefully, if she does bring it up to others they will have an opening to comment on his coat condition..

I think you did great..

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:32:21 pm »
You know if someone hadnt said to me that the food I was choosing for my dog was more crap than it was food I would have probably never known and Kira would still be scratching and miserable and I wouldnt have found this page.

While she may have been a little pissy because of the conversation,  you may have put a bug in her ear and let's hope she will get him to a groomer soon.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:15:54 pm »

While she may have been a little pissy because of the conversation,  you may have put a bug in her ear and let's hope she will get him to a groomer soon.

It's so true.  How many times has someone's suggestion given one of us a new way of looking at things.  Honestly, I don't think that you were rough about this at all.  IMO It sounds like you gave her something to think about in a pretty darn tactful way.  It's hard to see a pup suffering when it's so easily fixable.  After all, this isn't something that requires thousands of dollars of vet bills so maybe impossible for her to afford.   :(  I understand time constraints, but geez, how long would you have to skip grooming to have him get that matted?   :-\
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:16:38 pm by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 05:20:29 am »
I was thinking, "HAVE Furminator will travel" Gazing into the crystal ball, I hope she learns hair/matt control before she sends any "two legs" off to school with extreme bed hair.  ::) Poor tangled up pup :o   
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 05:21:28 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 07:42:21 am »
She was probaby just upset because she knew, on some level, that you were right. I bet your words rang in her ears all day and when she got home, she may have taken a little extra time to feel what was really going on with her boy that she loves so much.

You may have just subtley changed her.

And I think you did it very graciously. I would have called her right out on it - trying to be nice, but it probably would not have sounded that way at all. I'm VERY direct.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 08:37:08 am »
Count me in! I am one of those people  :-[
My husband hates when I point out to people that their dog is overweight or fed bad food or ....  ::) :P
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 06:28:19 pm »
I thought of you all the way home from the grocery store just now.  An elderly lady ahead of me in the grocery line told the clerk that she's moving to AZ this winter and can only take 2 of her dogs, so she's going to sell one.  She went on about how he's some sort of rare & valuable spaniel (didn't catch which) and that he'd make a great stud dog b/c "he's the horniest dog I ever saw".  (Can I say that on BPO?  Sorry, that's what she said.   :-[  ::) ).  Anyway, I'm standing there with my kids, trying not to roll my eyes & wondering if I can keep my mouth shut or not.  Ummm, nope!  :D  I said that he sounds wonderful (not so much, but I had to be polite), and that I was sure that she wants the best home for him, so she might want to consider neutering him before placement to help prevent him from ending up in a puppy mill in horrible conditions.  Told her how they are locked in tiny cages, etc.  She thanked me twice, once in line and again when I walked past her at the door, so I hope that she took it well.  Agh!  I can't tell you how much I hate hearing that someone is selling a dog for breeding purposes.   >:( 

So see you're not alone.  :)  I think that most of us have a hard time remaining quiet when there is an animal at risk.   ;)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 06:39:58 pm »
I do the same thing when I hear that someone needs to "get rid" of their dog - especially if it's a small dog, because around here we have a big dog fighting problem. I chime in every time and tell them they don't want to "give" it away because people don't value what they get for free and there are too many undesirables around here that will get the "free" dogs from the paper and use them as bait dogs to train their fighting dogs.

That almost ALWAYS shocks them into rethinking their "free to good home" ad and ALWAYS leaves them with something very serious to think about.

Count me in as "one of those people" too.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

jesday

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 06:59:29 pm »
Come to think of it, I guess I never was too good at not expressing my opinion. Maybe that's why I like this site so much. Plenty of opinions to share. ;)

jesday

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »
I live in Idaho.     

Where in Idaho do you live? Post Falls? Cour de'Alene? I live in Spokane, WA and would love to know of another BPO close by. Seattle is about as close as it gets.   :)

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 07:12:59 pm »
Good for you for expressing your opinion!  It sounds like she was pretty ignorant of proper dog grooming (and I'm the first to admit that I'm not the best!).  If nothing else, she probably knows now that it's not acceptable to take her dog out in public like that.  As in give it a good brush and mat clipping once in a while!  I do mine just about every Sunday.  The husband and I line them up, with the scissors (Raja and Shadow), the brush, and the furminator.

If we are going some place special, a bath and an extra good brushing is usually involved.  You dress your kids up for church, right?  Why not your dog?
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP