Author Topic: rocks  (Read 3967 times)

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
rocks
« on: December 24, 2005, 05:44:39 pm »
has anyone had a problem with their newfie swallowing,or trying to swallow rocks ???
bear,14 month old newfie,140 pounds (estimated)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: rocks
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 08:57:23 pm »
fumble used to try and eat them.. then he realized that they were yucky.. he then moved onto the sea shells we have on our driveway... (we're a cape cod house to the fullest) he got bored with the outdoor things very quickly, but there was a time that i was worried he was going to live off of pine needles and rocks!  ;)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 10:22:16 pm »
Yes....Chester is constantly eating rocks, but also pine cones, logs, branches, redwood chips.  I'm concerned that he may be part termite!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2005, 12:01:08 am »
thanks guys for the imput,I was told by a very!! knowledgeable breeder, that she has known them to sometimes die from an intestinal blockage due to eating to large a rock,I'm sure we've all gone through this worry, but I know something that will help for anybody that finds themselves in this situation, get a gallon of high quality!!! soybean oil from a feedmill etc.and a gallon of blackstrap molassis from whereever,pour as much as you can into the palm of your hand,they won't eat it any other way,keep pursueing them and asking them in a gentle! voice, very important! with newfies as I'm sure you all know!, to eat it,give them 6 handfulls of soybean oil and 3 of blackstrap molassis,I'll guarentee you they will pass anything in their stomachs within 24 hrs tops,we once save the life of a 19 yr.old, 1800 pound stud this way,it was recommended to us by a very smart vet
bear,14 month old newfie,140 pounds (estimated)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 03:42:44 am »
My sister's Collie had to have surgery due to eating a rock...The "drop it' command works wonders for your dog to learn! :)

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2005, 09:03:42 am »
This goes for most pups of any breed, everything goes in their mouths including any decorative wood chips that can be chemically stained, everything is fair game, that is why it is crucial that they be walked outside to do their potty business and not allowed freedom unless you can supervise the excersise them.
i once boarded a golden retriever pup, not a half hour after he was with me he puked up a stomach full of gravel, and, good thing his owner was still home becouse i called and reported this to them.
a huge pile, wow! you really have to watch them like a hawk.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 03:13:56 pm »
Bear doesn't have a thing for rocks, but our breeder's big boys do! They'll move super big rocks  just to move them all over the yard. It is really quite funny!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 02:57:00 pm »
Bell will retrieve rocks from underwater which she drops on the shore, her main problem is retrieving branches and trees. For some reason she is not happy with a small stick, it has to be big, the bigger the better. The good news is it keeps the log pile topped up!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 02:58:52 pm by nostaw »
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 03:58:18 pm »
Aww Bell is so cute.....she just thinks the whole tree is more her size not branches like the small dogs play with... ;D.  Try doing spring cleanup for my bros landscaping company wher you throw the sticks into the woods and Kali retrieves them.  I know she's just being helpful...  :P.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline coral

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 05:05:24 pm »
Did someone mention a big stick? LOL

Yes, rocks are pretty common as snacks for newfs. Be careful, they can cause a blockage. Work on your drop it, and leave it commands as well as teaching them that they shouldn't be eating those rocks!