Author Topic: Guinness starting to shed heavilly  (Read 5970 times)

Yaz

Guinness starting to shed heavilly
« on: July 25, 2005, 07:13:30 am »
Hi Fellow Saint Owners;
I have a quick question regarding shedding. Has anyone else's Saint started shedding like a demon  recently? iGuinness is now five months and over the past week we have noticed quite a bit of hair around his crate and the house. At three months of age his adult coat started to slowly grow in starting at the top of his back, but it's taking a long time to fully spread out over his body. A couple of weeks ago I switched him from Candidae to Eagle Pack Holistic dog food and am trying to discern if the heavy shedding he is doing is from the change in dog food, or if it's simply he's blowing his puppy coat? The reason I want to rule out the dog food is that I've had dog's in the past that will shed enormously when they're one certain foods.

Cheers;

Yasmin

Icerotti

Re: Guinness starting to shed heavilly
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 07:30:16 am »
sorry, I can't help you with your post. But  Your St. is adorable ;D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 08:45:04 am »
I think the shedding is probably a combonation of his adult coat growing in and the weather. When zoey was that age she was shedding like a maniac (even though it was winter) because she was loosing her puppy fur. And now that it is summer she is shedding like a maniac again because of the heat.  Also, as your saint grows you wil find that he always sheds a lot regardless of what food they are on. Shedding, like drool, is just one of those unavoidable things with a saint. For us it has deffinately been heaviest when zoey was getting her adult fur and when the weather started to heat up, but it's deffinately something you have to deal with year round. I brush zoey for a bare minimum of half an hour a day, and with the heat wave we are having I still find tons of fur 'tumbleweeds' around the house.
RIP former BPO

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 08:49:32 am »
Shedding heavily is an under statement.Im still surprised Spotakiss still has fur.Hes 8 months old now.Sometimes I have to sweep 2 times a day.Im hoping maybe it is because hes losing his puppy fur.By the way Guinness looks so cute.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 08:57:03 am »
Your baby is sooooo cute, and the boy too for that matter. I think it is the puppy coat, and if you the last week or so have a warmer weather than you did before, that is probably also playing a role in this. Of course it could be the change of food, but I dont think you have to worry about that, especially not with such a high quality food, having said that, you can get the best of foods and some dogs still develop allergies or other problems.

But being the age he is and that you said that it seems to take a long time for him to grow his adult coat, I think warm weather might have boosted his "puppy coat blowing" so thats what you see.

Good Luck and hehe I dont want to be a party poop, but hair around the cage, well hmmmmm it might just get a little worse still lol....

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline 4everblu

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lord help me be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
    • The Spotted Dog
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 10:07:00 am »
Though I don't have the answer to your shedding dilema, I want to take a minute to say how adorable your wee Guiness is!!
What a cutie.
Please Visit "The Spotted Dog" for  Personalized Doggie signatures and graphics.  http://forums.delphiforums.com/ourdogs/start

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 12:56:29 pm »
Oh...Guiness is such a big cutie pie! I just wanna give him a big ol' kiss! As as for the shedding...we have it year round so all I can say is welcome to the club!  :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 12:59:05 pm »
Lady and Grace shed a lot too...not half as bad as Bear though.  But just enough to drive me nuts.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 08:28:11 pm »
Lady and Grace shed a lot too...not half as bad as Bear though.  But just enough to drive me nuts.

Lins...... I think the newf, saint, pyr and all the other looooong haired breed owners may say yeah right now lol...... I used to say that too with my danes, and they actually did shed more than their short coat made people believe, but everyone I knew with a long haired dog, just looked at me when I said that hehe, they didnt feel too sorry for me.

Both Galahad and Hera are good, they dont shed much at all, Zeus though well if I dont vacuum at least once a day, it looks like we have a white carpet, which wouldnt be such a bad thing, only the kids friends bring the "carpet" with them home under their socks lol..... I have many a time wondered what their moms must think when they come from here with hairy socks.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 08:39:38 pm »
Bubba is shedding heavily also. It doesn't seem to matter how much I brush him either. Just running my hand down his back sends hair everywhere.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 09:36:03 pm »
I know exactly what you mean Lyn! I have that issue everyday with the Bear cub.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 08:21:15 pm »
Oh Boy.  Shedding...I'm living it too.  Maxwell's only a year old and he didn't shed at first but now it doesn't stop.  It seems like a year round thing.  Shedding, drooling, farting, burbing.  He does it all.  He also likes to eat my Cocker's Pooh.  Now that's really attractive!!!  I was thrilled about that.  Oh well at least he stopped eating his own!!!  I read op on Copophragia and one treatment was feeding them pineapple.  Maxwell said "MMMMM Hawaiian Pooh!"  Oh well, he's doing it less and less now so that's good.  I think he'll grow out of it.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 07:52:38 am »
SaintlyGirl, you really need to try to break maxwell of the poop eating habit because he could catch all kinds of things eating an unknown dogs poop. Solid gold makes a product called 's.e.p. - stop eating poop' that you can add to your other dogs food and it will make his poop taste gross. Another alternative, which is cheaper, it to sprinkle some meat tenderizer in their food - when it mixes with the stomach acid it makes a bitter combo or something. My vet told me that one.
RIP former BPO

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Hi there!Maggie too is on Eagle pack is sheding the same!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 02:36:26 pm »
Hello!I think it is that time of year i was about to ask myself,maggie is eating the same we give time of ve sup,oil,missing link,you name it$$$ and still shed i think it is thime of year,wait till you see molly she will be here one week from,tue,love them can't get enough!l,m,L, :o :-* :-* 8) :o
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!