Author Topic: Would like some help/advice on buying a Newf  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Would like some help/advice on buying a Newf
« on: June 13, 2006, 05:29:50 pm »
Hello all

Tim and I have decided that next year we are going to buy a Landseer newf (right now it is still to soon for us, as we are still greiving for Dilbert). We are doing our research and I would like some advice on some good questions to ask the breeders that we narrow down on. I am also going to try and find some rescue groups too.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Would like some help/advice on buying a Newf
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 05:51:59 pm »
How fun is this?!!!  There's absolutely NOTHING cuter than a Landseer pupperino!

I think the VERY most important think to look for with any giant breed and especially Newfs is the health issue.  Have you gone to www.newfdogclu b.org?  There is a wealth of info. there and also to www.offa.org?  That's the website for the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals.  You can check any reputible breeder's record of testing and results by searching the breeder's name or by the dog's name.  I HIGHLY recommend taking the time to do that before you go look at puppies.  There really is nothing worse than falling in love with a pup and finding out a year down the road about orthopedic problems which are so common with the breed!  You can even ask the Newfoundland Club of America-Health and Longevity Committee about a breeder you are considering.  I didn't do any of those thing with my first two Newfs and was heartbroken to lose them both at young ages.  I finally got smart with Chester and did my homework and have a BOUNDINGLY healthy Newf to show for it.  If you find a breeder you like, you can pm me and I can find out anything I can for you...not that I'd necessarily know them directly but can ask those that would know about them.  There ARE some breeders who are doing wonderful things with these guys and really, really care about the breed. 

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:01:51 pm »
Yay on picking a landseer!!! We're hoping to add a new landseer pup to our family in February or March, and have found a breeder in NL with whom we are comfortable.  I have never dealt with a breeder before, but found that she was very willing to engage with me - she called me and we are spending time getting to know each other.  She also sent me her contract and has laid out very carefully what her terms are - all of which are things that we did with our first landseer and he had absolutely no hip or joint issues at all.  She has readily provided references and is registered.  I can't help on the questions (others are much more experienced in that area) but I can encourage you to make sure the breeder is forthcoming with any and all information you want or need.  If they hedge at all, I'd walk away.  You're investing more than money here - you're investing your heart, as you already well know.

So sorry for the loss of Dilbert.
Sandy
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:04:23 pm »
Thank you so much for those links. They were great. Lots of information. I am going to go more research on the heart conditions ect. Like warning signs to look for, treatments ect. I know that it is going to take time for all the research and to find a good breeder. We are in no hurry, it is not something to ruch into. :)I am going to also check out the Canadian Newf Club, we want to see if we can find a breeder here first, that way we can ckeck them out if they are close. If we can't find one here well check out breeders in the States on the west coast. Thanks for all the help. ;D

Nina 
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:17:07 pm »
Nothing to add but Ditto what newflvr said !

Oh..wait, something to add :)
Be cautious, just because someone tells your they are a National breed club member, their dogs have OFA clearances, etc... don't believe them until you check it yourself.   
We ran into some unscrupulous people when looking that on the surface appeared to be everything we were looking for, digging a little deeper and things were definetly not as they appeared  to be.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:29:45 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”